Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

is there a way for me to get banded?

Do any of you know of a program that will pay for people to get banded? I am a guy 6ft 1in and 440 lbs. I cant get a medical card (so they told me) and sence I lost my job a year ago I cant get a new one because no one wants to give one to a walking heart attack. So I cant offord the sugery because I dont have a job and I cant get a job because im so over weight. Some of you may think that im not trying to get a job But belive me, Im trying.. I live in a Very poor area In east ky and there are not many jobs but when i do walk into a room for a interview i can see the expression on there face and dont make it far into it.. So If any one knows a way for me to get medical help for this band please let me know.. thanks

:) What a sad situation.. any family that could help you? I would say a loan, but I don't think they give loans without a job. You can't even get a job with like wal-mart, mcdonalds, etc.? I've seen extra large people working there.. I worked at Cracker Barrel a few years ago and there was a woman who weighed 600lbs working with me.. If you have anything you can sell for $$..?

I've seen people do amazing things when they want a band. The thing is, you really have to want it bad enough. Get two jobs, get three jobs. They may not be the best jobs in the whole world but they pay the bills. As others have mentioned, Subway, Mickey D's, call centers, anything. Maybe not a dream job but it's a job.

The thing about a band is that you have to want it bad enough to go get it.

To answer your question, no. There are no band friendly programs. This is one you'll have to do yourself. And make no mistake, it can be done. According to the last poll here that I saw 55% of the people here went to Mexico, which means they paid for their own band. 45% had it done in the US and of those, not all had insurance. Stick around, you'll see for yourself that we are not typically wealthy people that can pay cash for anything we want. You really do have to want it bad enough to go and get it. If that means 3 jobs and paying cash or finding a job where insurance will cover the procedure.

lol.. I cant get 1 let alone 3.. Its about 1 hr 45mins one way to the closest town that has restrunts, hotles, and bussiness and 2 hrs the other way. I do have a couple small gas stations and a little gorsry store and a pizza joint down the road about 30 mins and i have been interviewd by most of them more than once, I guess they forget my name. Im not trying to sound like im wineing because im not. I am happy other than being so fat no one giving an interview takes me seriously. I was just wondering about a medical program for the band.. I guess Ill just keep trying to figure out how to get a medical card. Its almost funny how fast and easy they gave it to my wife when she got pregnant.

Tommy, I really think you should get a job. Not only would it help you pay for this but a job will help you feel better about yourself. YOU CAN DO IT!! Put on your best suit..yes wear a suit even to a gas station.... put that resume to use and go give it your best shot.

lol.. I cant get 1 let alone 3.. Its about 1 hr 45mins one way to the closest town that has restrunts, hotles, and bussiness and 2 hrs the other way. I do have a couple small gas stations and a little gorsry store and a pizza joint down the road about 30 mins and i have been interviewd by most of them more than once, I guess they forget my name. Im not trying to sound like im wineing because im not. I am happy other than being so fat no one giving an interview takes me seriously. I was just wondering about a medical program for the band.. I guess Ill just keep trying to figure out how to get a medical card. Its almost funny how fast and easy they gave it to my wife when she got pregnant.

No programs that pay for it, as BB said - you're on your own there.

Perhaps we can help you think outside the box though.

You say there's no where local to work, other than places you've already applied. Does your wife work? If so, does she do something that could be done in another city? Many people find that in life they have to move to where the work is, if they want to work. Perhaps it's time to relocate?

(And don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's the answer, but if you need a job and don't have any jobs where you live, living where there are jobs certainly becomes something to consider).

Another idea - don't assume that your inability to get a job is directly related to your weight. "Think outside the box" here too. I see a LOT of people a LOT larger than you working all over the place, so you may be doing yourself and potential jobs a disservice by saying that they see you as nothing more than a walking heart attack. Anything else that might be causing the expression on their face, e.g. are you preseting yourself well, are you prepared for the interviews, etc.?

So while there aren't any programs to pay for the band, there are programs to make education affordable. There are some kickass grant programs out there. Someone I know is going this route - grants - AA - job - saving for band. It's going to take her a while, but she knows she will get there.

Just thought of something. Check with your local (or even not so local, if that's the case) Goodwill or other assistance agencies. They usually run a free or very low cost work habilitation center (I used to direct one). There you can go and learn business skills: typing, computer skills, interviewing skills, business communication, etc. Some places even offer job assistance once you've graduated.

Have you gone to a headhunter/placement agency?

What are your marketable skills? *Everyone* has them, you just may not see the value in them, but capitalizing on them will be your fastest route to gainful employment.

Assuming your wife works, could she help you get on wherever she's at?

Have you looked into anywork-from-home opportunities? Usually they're in the "too good to be true" category, but there are some that are legitimate.

Hi Tommy...I know how you feel regarding getting a job. I also live in a very small town. For every job that opens up at McDonald's there are 15 applicants! When they have the choice between a spry, thin teen or a heavy, slow obese person...well we both know who they're going to choose. It's not even just the weight and the slow moving...they take into account how difficult it is to move around somone larger when things get busy. So, I feel for ya! I'm not Super Sized and I can't get a part time job to save my life!!! I hand in the application and they never even call!!!! This last application I handed in, I had my 15 year old daughter hand in for me. I applied to be a lunch room lady for next school year...I sure hope to at least score an interview.

If you feel like people are kind of on the attack about "people who want a job get a job", it's because MANY people come on here, post a couple of time, asking for places to beg for the money, and won't make an honest effort to save up for it. They're looking for a quick fix. People who are looking for a quick fix probably wouldn't succeed with the band anyway, because the band still requires thought and work. I'm in no way accusing you of being one of these people. I totally sympathise with living in a small poor town! Fortunately, our town has one properous business and my husband has a high postion there and great insurance. I'm one of the lucky ones. Like BB stated, MANY people go to Mexico or even have it here and pay for it out of pocket. It can be done, but it may take a while. If you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen.

Good luck!

I'm not sure what you mean by "getting a medical card" do you mean medical insurance? And who was it who told you you couldn't get one? It seems like if you are unemployed for an extended period of time, your income level would qualify you for medicaid or something like that. You've probably looked into that already though. I wish I knew more and could make helpful suggestions.

Have you explored opportunities for working from home? I once knew a lady who made money doing medical transcription from home. I don't think she knew anything about medical transcription going into it. They sent her some training materials to get her started. That's one idea, anyway. Good luck to you.