Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol...how much with the sleeve?

I do not plan to drink a lot, the empty calories, jeopardize my weight loss, wait until I am on solid food, etc but I will drink some down the road, I know that. Realistically how much can you drink?

I had a system with my band when going out. I would make sure I ate before leaving the house and ate some while drinking. food slides through the band with liquids so it was convenient. I also alternated with Water between each drink and could handle about 3 drinks in one evening without being empty handed most of the night. Guys really push you to keep drinking so this worked, I was still walking at the end of the night and I did not feel alienated from my friends because of my surgery. Any tips?

I went to a party last night. I swear I drank all the booze. I know for sure I had two hard ciders and three mixed drinks over the course of 5 hours. Just pace yourself and have Water after you finish a drink so as to not get dehydrated. Eating before is a good idea too, so you don't get too drunk. And don't feel bad if you have a drink or five, just remember to get back on the good habit train the next day.

I would suggest having a drink or two in the "Safety " of your own home before going out on the town. Like trying any new thing postop, you never know how your body will react. You want to make sure you won't puke or dump. You also want to gauge how alcohol affects you now. So many people report how they get tipsy on just a little bit. I was looking forward to that. But nope, I can still out drink a football team. My alcohol tolerance followed me into postop life. :(

I can also drink plenty and not feel it. Not that I do, but I was thinking a little bit would go a long way, but not for me.

If I am on an empty stomach, I can feel it after just one glass of wine. I was never a big drinker though.

I also find that I cannot drink 2-3 drinks over an hour anymore. Like when I am out for dinner with friends. One is about all. Dang it! It does affect me more though so I am economical sigh

I drink socially now as I did pre-op, but I can't drink as much or as fast due to volume restrictions. I tend to choose cocktails or white wine now, (beer makes me feel bloaty because of the bubbles and red wine sometimes gives me reflux). Also, I try to eat a couple hours before to accommodate the no drinking while eating rule. Makes my food "float" when I break it which is never good. When I drink, I count the calories into my daily totals and stay within the limits I've set for myself in my food log.

This is an interesting topic. I'm a few hrs from surgery and I need a glass of something besides Water, crystal light or Soup. Maybe some Cabernet Sauvignon

or Moscato

Edited by LuckyOne53

You can drink until you puke, if you so choose.