Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would love a little encouragement

Hello!

I would like to start this thread by assuring all readers that I love my band. I have been banded for 3 months now. Even if I never lost another pound, I understand things about food and eating that I never did before. For instance, what full feels like. Or, the joys of bringing home leftovers from a restaurant. Or, not feeling like I have to order the largest plate on the menu and eat multiple large helpings in order to feel satisfied. Actually, eating is now more enjoyable because I can savor it, rather than shovel it.

With that being said, I have to admit that I'm quite an impatient person. I understand that I have an underlying desire for all things to happen immediately as I want them. In regards to the band, weight loss is feeling slow. So far, I've lost 25 pounds since day of surgery. I suppose in three months, I expected to be losing more. It would be my goal to lose 100 pounds by my first 'bandiversary'.

Are there any veterans who can speak to what feels like a slow start? Do the first few months have a tendency to feel like a shit show? I know this sounds ridiculous, but how important is exercise in motivating results? I know people have lost plenty of weight without it, but is that really an effective approach? Can anyone speak to how they felt after their first 3 months or so.

This is an interesting time in the life of a bander. It almost feels like being a toddler. I can say that my experience has been fantastic. Never have I experienced sickness, pain, or any other undesirable moments. I'm interested to know when veterans starting "seeing" results.

And please, (kindly) feel free to tell me I'm being a little whiny, impatient banded toddler. It's confusing because who really knows what normal is? It is an entirely subjective situation. It's like going to the doctor and being asked if you have a "normal period." How the hell am I supposed to know if it's normal, I've had no other experience but my own!

Thanks all!!!

If you have a PC please fill in your profile so we know more about your beginning weight, height, etc?

@@karbear409 you are 100% right. What is normal? and what is normal for you are very subjective things. When Dr.'s approach the terms of averages, statistics etc. they are using text book definitions. They are using studies done over time that could be from years ago.

What is normal for you is what is "right". With the lapband all your learning is up front and through out. It's slow and steady and your right food choices, nutrition and exercise all play a big part in your success with the band.

The learning curve is now in this first year of banding. Where with other surgeries the weight loss is right up front and as that slows comes the learning, when the eating habits trickle back in because they can now eat anything and drink anything. If the habits did not change prior to surgery they can really regain their weight as they hit the maintenance phase.

I chose the band because it is a slow and steady weight loss. I didn't want to have as much baggy saggy skin as you have with other surgeries from losing too fast and not building up muscle through out the loss. I also knew it was not a mal-absorptive surgery and I would have "normal" digestion of nutrients.

I am like you also I want it to be yesterday that was overweight but you know I am OK with the way I am losing and it does take some time to learn your band and to learn to live with your band and find that right "zone" for you. Your analogy of the toddler is accurate. Some get up and start running and some teeter around a bit before they hit their stride.

If you really want that 100 pounds you can get it, but you have to work for it. Set mini goals over the course of the months for yourself and see how it goes.

For me..I went very slow. I didn't get a good fill until about 6 months in and hit a few bumps along my journey. Never gained a single pound back but lost slowly. Same for hubby who was banded 3 days after me.

There are some on here who have lost that amount in a year, so go for it if you want it you can make it happen!

Hi Lisa!

I updated my information too as you suggested. Thank you for the encouragement. That's right on what I needed to hear. I also hear what you are saying about the nature of our surgery, slow and steady. With the band I feel that I have the room to grow and learn slowly. And you're right, if I want a 100 lb loss, then I need to go and get it!

If I choose a more passive approach, I will still receive results, but perhaps more slowly. Thank you for your kind words.

25 lbs is actually quite good. If you compare yourself to other surgeries like the sleeve you can expect the weight loss to be slower. That's just how the band works. It's not a restrictive tool like the sleeve. It can only help you feel less hungry during meals or for hours after meals.

And you don't mention anything about fills, if you exercise, satiety or restriction? Your band won't give you the satiety needed to lose consistently unless it's adjusted properly? And yes, exercise can play a huge part in how quickly you lose.

tmf

@@karbear409 I love the toddler metaphor -- so true! You are doing GREAT! Pat yourself on the back and know that you have chosen yourself and your healthy future. Way to go,

My band really did not kick off until about 3 months...up till then it was a lot of ups and downs, even gained weight...took a few fills, then around 4 months things started to make sense....

And even though it was my last fill, and I was in the Green for sure, it took me to the 1 year mark to understand what was happening and and learning new lessons to adjust myself to really find that groove where everything finally clicked.....once that happened....

Edited by B-52

25 lbs. is actually on schedule being out 3 months. 2 lbs. a week is the average loss for a banded person.

I tend to be more of a visual person and I offer a suggestion that will give you something to Celebrate. Take 2 or 3 10 lb. bag of potatoes and carry them around for a couple of minutes. That's how much stress you've taken off your legs and knees. You are doing great and there's much more to come. Remember those fad diets we all tried in the past? Lost weight quickly only to gain the weight twice as fast and then some. Losing weight slowly is the successful way to lose. As you continue with your fills, if that's the case and becoming more active, the weight loss with speed up a bit. Keep up the great work! One day at a time is my motto. jake

Thank you all for the inspiring and helpful words. I had another adjustment yesterday afternoon. This is now my 4th adjustment post surgery. I'm at 8cc on a 14cc band. I'm now at the place where I can absolutely feel that I have a band. I've also been exercising at least a few times a week. I like to go on fast paced nature hikes. It's amazing how quickly an hour of walking goes by.

As of yesterday at the docs office, I weighed in at 301.4. This number also suggests that I've lost an average of 2.5 pounds/week between fills in the last 3 months. I've been seeing my surgeon every 3-4 weeks for fills and check ins. 1.5-2.5 pounds a week is fantastic, and I can definitely say it's more than I've lost in the past. Especially, with this amount of consistency.

And you're all correct, slow and steady is a much better way to lose. When I was in high school, almost 10 years ago, my father had gastric bypass surgery. He practically went from being 400 lbs and immobile to a 200 lb whipper snapper over night. It messed with him a lot. His drastic weight loss left him in the dark. He could no longer eat anything without vomiting and sickness. He started drinking, which eventually lead him to rehab. After rehab, he became obsessed with AA. While in AA, he met another woman, a severe drunk. He ended up having an affair with her, and my mother divorced him. When I look back on the experience, a lot of it came back to the bypass surgery, the drastic weight loss, and not allowing your mind to catch up with your body.

All in all, my experience has been nothing like his. I'm happy, I still eat, and I'm losing slowly and consistently. Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your encouraging input. It's so wonderful to connect with others cruising along on the same boat.

as long as one is losing (fast for us larger folks usually at the beginning) and slower in some cases for others for various reasons, it should be seen as a happy thing..its not a contest or a race, it is a lifetime/healthy way of living and dont compare.....

inches lost are actual/true weight loss

even if the scales stop moving or slowly move...

no such thing as stalls in my eyes...it will catch up eventually

sounds like you are doing great

no encouragement needed to be giving to you

your weight loss so far and your better health is encouragement enough.

well done

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

I was banded in June 2013 and as of today I am down 107lbs. I felt the same way...a year away seemed sooo far. That is all I could focus on. What worked for me is making small goals and not looking to far into the future. Take things into 30day blocks. Give yourself a weekly goal..whether it is exercising more, drinking more Water etc...and you will be surprised how fast each month goes by. I have to play so-called mind games with myself to help me along the way. But hey, whatever works, right? ;) Exercise is super important...I really didn't get into it much until about my 4-5th month post op. I would walk but I didn't really push myself. You just have to find something that you like. Personally, I cannot handle gyms or classes. I do not have the patience or coordination. I love to hike and ride my bike. I use it as a time to relax as well as workout. You can also take a full length body photo of yourself every month. It is amazing to see your body change. You can be excited not just by numbers on a scale but by how your clothes are fitting ( or falling off because they are so loose) I am getting a little bummed myself because I am stuck at this weight even though I am sticking to my food plan/exercise routine. I go and try on clothes for a pick me up when I need to really know that my body is changing. It will get better. Hang in there!