Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

one week post op, having some troubles, advices appreciated

I am one week post op today and have some troubles. I just wonder if anyone else having same problems or anyone has any advice for me?

*First of all, my abdomen is huge since operation, I look like pregnant. It doesn't feel like gas, it's more like soreness and Water. And instead of losing, I GAINED 4 lb. since operation day. (I'm good at my Fluid goals, doing ok with Protein goal, but nothing helps to my huge abdomen)

*Secondly, my urine color is so dark (reddish/brownish). Is it normal?

*I have bad aches at my arms and especially legs during sleep time. Hurting so much that it wakes me up. It's not a kind of a spot hurt, my whole muscles and joints hurts. (My doctor made me wear Anti Embolism Stockings before surgery and I'm still wearing them, can this have anything to do with it?)

*There is no way I can sleep comfortably. Laying on my back hurts my chest, I can't breathe well. Lying sideways hurts my incisions and hurt somewhere inside. What position do you sleep well?

Any ideas?

Hi I am also one week out. I haven't had any of those problems except for the urine. So if we both have it I hope it is normal. Lol. I started walking my block Monday and that had helped me sleep and with the gas pains ( their awful). But I would probably ask your doc about the belly thing.

I'm 1 week post-op today and am not experiencing any of that. I have lost 20 lbs. My urine is pale yellow. No problems laying down. I feel amazing!! Still on full liquids though :-

I would suggest contacting your doctor. Sounds like you are extremely dehydrated and possibly have a blood clot. Definitely seek medical attention!! Best of luck! Keep us posted.

Swelling in the abdomen is normal. I'm a little over 3 weeks post-op and still have some swelling in my abs. I had a Tummy Tuck three years ago and even though I regained 80 pounds afterward (thus my decision to have VSG), my stomach staid very flat and firm. Since my VSG three weeks ago, it's definitely way "squishier" than it was pre-op. So definitely still some tissue swelling there.

As for the dark urine, it's likely due to dehydration. In the early days post-op, it is very hard to get in enough Water and since your body is healing, it requires even more Water than usual, so dehydration is common. I'm 24 days post-op now and I still have dark urine when I first go to the bathroom in the morning, after not having drunk anything all night. I'm getting right at the 64 oz. mark for fluids each day now.

As for the soreness in your limbs while sleeping, I did not experience that and I am not sure what could be causing it. You may want to contact your surgeon or PCP about that one!

I have to agree with Jamie, dark Urine is a sign of dehydration. then there is the swelling and it also sounds like you have gas.

try some gas x strips, they desolve on your tongue. the swelling will go down in time

I am also about 3 weeks out and had some adjusting to do at first also.

Try propping a bunch of pillows to elevate your head up and then sleeping on your back.

Another option would be sleeping in a recliner if you have one.

I had bad soreness for about a week in my left arm and shoulder. Apparently gas. My abdomen was swollen and discolored. I was on IVs for 3 days so am sure I gained weight but I have no scales. I am 2 weeks out now and that has all gone away. Just still incision soreness. As for sleeping, I have to sleep on my back which is no fun so I take a pain med at bed time to help me sleep. Hope I'll be able to sleep more comfortably soon.

sound advise in above posts. recovery takes time. go easy on yourself and drink your Water. take care

Dehydration can cause joint pain. I would first check with your surgeon to make sure he doesn't have any concerns. I was told to drink one Powerade zero daily to help with electrolytes in my daily intake of liquid. I am a month out and still sometimes have the leg cramps but urine is pale so know it isn't dehydration it is just electrolytes. I had no pain post op but there was a small amount of bruising and swelling but that resolved by the end of the first week. Hope you get to feeling better soon