Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping syndrome? Tmi

Well I just had a tiny bowl of coco puffs because well I'm on my rag and I need chocolate and I notice within 5 minutes I'm on the toilet. Is this dumping syndrome? I have noticed some foods I eat this happens so I'm thinking hellooooo this is that dumping syndrome. Anybody else experience this? Am I just the lucky one? God this happens and man I never want to eat again!

You need to update your profile it says there that you are pre-op so you can't have the dumping syndrome known with sleeve or bypass.

If you have had either of these then you need to write down the things that make you dump and leave them off your list until you get stronger and your belly and system can handle them. Almost 2 years out and just finally was able to eat some beef.

When we are ready our bodies might let us eat it. But for now. Take note of the things that happen to you and the changes good and bad will help. :)

Well I just had a tiny bowl of coco puffs because well I'm on my rag and I need chocolate and I notice within 5 minutes I'm on the toilet. Is this dumping syndrome? I have noticed some foods I eat this happens so I'm thinking hellooooo this is that dumping syndrome. Anybody else experience this? Am I just the lucky one? God this happens and man I never want to eat again!

Sounds like dumping to me! I am also sleeved and am fortunate/unfortunate enough that I only dump with ice cream (just the good stuff) if I eat more than a few bites. I am 16 months out and I know exactly which foods make me miserable and I avoid them like the plague.

I must say that it concerns me that you are just a month out and you are already indulging in junky empty carbs. This is your time to shine and maximize your weight loss. We all have different plans given to us by our surgeon so I won't/can't comment on the fact that you are already eating Cereal, but there are so many other BETTER options for you while your tummy is still healing.

Consider SF pudding or SF fudgesicles. Try a chocolate Protein shake blended with ice and a bit of banana or a sf coffee Syrup for added flavor. There are definitely better sweet options out there than coco puffs. It's really the best time for you to unlearn those "cravings" and to stop blaming your monthly cycle for bad eating choices. You can totally do this!!

:D

I suffered from occasional dumping syndrome before I had the op - presumably due to a combination of other health issues.

Anyway, I found the ferocity of it quite frightening. First there was the totally unexpected need to rush to the bathroom with stomach pains and totally uncontrollable diarrhoea combined with sickness. Then my body overheated big time and all my clothes were drenched in perspiration as if a bucket of Water had been thrown over me. Then as it continued I got dizzy and started to black out. After an episode it was as much as I could manage to get myself into the shower and then lie down to sleep it off and recover.

I had about 5 episodes over 18 months - always out of the blue and there was no common factor about what I'd eaten beforehand except that I was drinking (non-alcoholic) during my meal.

I did once have a much milder bout after a bowl of Cereal so perhaps it's the high carb food taken with liquid that causes it.

So grateful for this topic-I just had the worst experience ever with this (similar to the woman from the UK). I am 4 months post-op and got a small non-fat frozen yogurt today. Within 10 minutes, I became extremely dizzy and nauseated, sweaty and faint. I wanted to vomit, but I couldn't. I literally passed out at my work desk, then began some strange yawning.

After that, the most violent stabbing pains began in my stomach/intestines. Now, I have had violent gas/diarrhea for the past 6 hours. It's finally calmed down a bit, but it's not over. My stomach is still gurgling I will NEVER eat dairy again. I have actually been off of it for a long time, I use almond milk and ice with my Protein powder. I regret this and will remember this forever.

If that had been full-fat dairy (like ice cream) I would have been hospitalized. I am thankful for this though, it keeps me away from high carb/high sugar and high fat foods. Good God, it is a nightmare though. I'm fortunate that I can sip electrolyte Water tonight. I will definitely give my stomach a rest for the next 24 hours.

I know it's gross, but it's a sleeve reality and one that I'm glad to have some people to commiserate with.

I'm sorry you went through that! I wouldn't discount all dairy, though. I'd suggest trying small amounts of various products, first. I cannot eat "better" ice cream like Ben and Jerry's or Haagan Daz. I can only eat 1/4 or so of fro-yo or less rich brands of ice cream but more makes me hurl.

I've never had a problem with cheese, pudding cups, greek yogurt. Weird, huh?

I'm sorry you went through that! I wouldn't discount all dairy, though. I'd suggest trying small amounts of various products, first. I cannot eat "better" ice cream like Ben and Jerry's or Haagan Daz. I can only eat 1/4 or so of fro-yo or less rich brands of ice cream but more makes me hurl.

I've never had a problem with cheese, pudding cups, greek yogurt. Weird, huh?

Thank you, Lipstick Lady,

I feel so much better this morning. I have always had a problem with dairy but was able to eat cheese and yogurt in moderation. Post-sleeve...not so much. It's really interesting how much my food preferences have changed with the sleeve. I used to love sushi and sweets and now I don't crave these things.

I have dumped from fried fish, sweats, chills, severe stomach pains and running to the bathroom!! This lasted for abt 45-60 min NO MORE fried food for me!! I can eat dairy products and salad just fine but i notice alot of sleevers cant

I have "dumped" twice since my surgery. Milk did it each time. I told my surgeon, and he states that it was not dumping. The sleeve surgery has caused me to become lactose intolerant. If I look at milk, I sh*t (TMI). :o

Edited by keish_lorraine