Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December surgery with a couple questions

I plan to have sleeve surgery in December. I am really enjoying this forum! Everyone is so helpful and encouraging, so here are my questions.

If you don't "feel full" while on liquids post surgery, are you always hungry? I am also very concerned about my energy level post surgery. I have three weeks off before I go back to school to complete my last semester of nurses training and am scared to death that I may feel too weak to meet the demands. I am 43 and 100 lbs overweight, so I have struggled with energy all along. My alternative is to wait till I am working but that seems even more risky. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Thanks!

I would have needing more than 3 weeks recovery before nursing school unless it is a very easy semester. I suppose you could try it and see if it works, but I am a nurse and our job is quite rigorous. maybe being a student would be easier? it is a tough road. you could probably handle the course work. some however have minimal pain and can exercise. perhaps you should talk to your advisor. your health is more important than school, but I know how the pressure goes. what is your clinical requirement and can you take makeup sessions over the next couple years? I remember when a friend's mother became ill, she was in a different nursing school for a while and had to take 7 or 8 makeup clinical days the next year to graduate from the BSN program as compared to a straight community college RN program. plan ahead and if it takes an extra 6 mos or a year to graduate, it is worth it to save your life. love, sara crystal, rn

I meant to say I would have needed... It took me almost 3 months to go back to work in labor and delivery, a very athletic job. and I am older.

Thanks for your response! I think my school would work with me if I had to retake this semester. This semester is advanced nursing, but I have a very supportive family and no job. I agree with you that school would be easier to manage than a new job. I also suspect that if I was able to get a job at this age and size, the surgery would just get pushed to the back burner and my health numbers cannot hold much longer!

I had 3 weeks total of PTO and short term disability period before going back to work after surgery. One week was surgery week, the other 2 weeks were recovery weeks. I could have actually gone back to work after 1 week of recovery, but heck, when the doctor gives you 2, you take them.

I do get hungry, but it's real hunger, not emotional or head hunger. I make really good choices in foods, like yogurt, applesauce, or a hardboiled egg to fill me up between meals. The only problem I am really finding is getting enough Protein. My doctor recommended at least 85, but up to 100. I use the flavorless stuff and put it in and on everything.

I will tell you that you will feel tired a few weeks after your surgery. It's not just because you are eating less, but surgery does take a toll o your body and sleep is a normal part of the healing process. I have no trouble until about 3 to 4pm.

Then I need to take a nap when I get home from work. But if I stay busy, I don't really think about it...do laundry, take a walk, clean house, run errands. For the first two weeks after surgery, I was going to be around 5:30pm, maybe waking up around midnight to go to the bathroom, then going back to sleep until 6am or so. That's getting much better now. My work days start early (around 5-5:30am), so I'm almost back to my 9pm bedtime...getting up at 4am is no problem. I still find myself drifting off around 8pm, but I do something active to get me through to 9pm...walk the dog, rearrange some drawers or a closet, email friends.

Everyone is different, but all the people I met during my surgery and have stayed in touch with all had good recoveries. Out of the four that were being sleeved the same day as me, 2 went back to work just 5 days after surgery with no troubles. Protein, protein, protein...really helps with energy and curbs hunger. Try Quest Bars. They may just become your new best friend because they taste like cake or brownies rather than those awful Power Bars or Tiger Bars.

I plan to have sleeve surgery in December. I am really enjoying this forum! Everyone is so helpful and encouraging, so here are my questions.
If you don't "feel full" while on liquids post surgery, are you always hungry? I am also very concerned about my energy level post surgery. I have three weeks off before I go back to school to complete my last semester of nurses training and am scared to death that I may feel too weak to meet the demands. I am 43 and 100 lbs overweight, so I have struggled with energy all along. My alternative is to wait till I am working but that seems even more risky. Any thoughts or experiences to share? Thanks!

I am 10 days out of surgery. I am like everyone in recovery stage I am tired. Went to my meeting this morning and found out if you have GLC in your area you can purchase Protein packs that will give you 42 grams of protein per serving. I am going tommorrow and see what they have. Good luck with your surgery it is the best thing I could of done for myself. Down 11 pounds in 9 days

Sharon

Congratulations. I will be sleeved on 7 October. Going for my preop tomorrow. Im anxious and cant sleep, lol. I will only 2 weeks off. I hope it will be enough time.

I did fine, sore the first week but went to the mountains for the weekend in my second week. Today starts week three down 21 pounds. I am so happy. Good luck to all who is having surgery. I would not change a thing that I have done. First time in years for me to show weight loss.

I was on a no lifting/twisting order for the first month. I would think if you are doing book work you would be fine. If you are in clinical rotations then I don't know. Good question for your doc. And always listen to your body. You will know when you have over done it. Good luck!