Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband to Sleeve But I left my band in

My highest weight was 246. I had lapband in 2006. I only lost maybe 40 pounds. Gained 20 back then lost it again doing HCG. Gained and lost it again doing good old diet and exercise as the band did not really work for me. At 205 pounds, I did revisional surgery to gastric sleeve in January of 2013, but I left my band in. So, my stomach was not cut as small as most sleevers. Weight loss was slow, and I could eat whatever I wanted without getting sick or having any negative side affects. I just became fuller faster and as such ate smaller portions. Today I weigh 126 and have lost an overall total of 120 pounds...still 10 away from my personal goal. In my personal opinion...I wish I skipped the lapband all together and went straight for the sleeve. I left my band in as a security blanket. I now wish I just took it out and got the smaller stomach. Luckily, my insurance covered both surgeries. Just my two cents for anyone who wants it. :)

I always wondered if you could do that, cause I considered mines remaining. My surgeon said no. I was trying to do everything I could to get this weight off and keep it off. I have my surgery Friday. I am excited and super nervous.

I am so glad that you shared! Lap band enabled me to lose 70 pounds. For some reason, my band seemed "out of whack" and I needed knee replacement and then hip replacement. I recently had my band x-rayed. They said everything is fine. I have gained weight because doc drained all Fluid over a year ago. I am 66 and I wonder if my age would be a problem in a revision? I still throw up and get choked, w/o Fluid in band.

Edited by steelemagnolia

Yeah you should talk to tour doctor, cause I am not comfortable with the band it has not helped me at all.

Like I said, I regret not taking mine out. Sleeve was the ideal solution for me. Don't worry about removing it...fully embrace your sleeve. Not sure about age or risk on revision for you. But, I would encourage investigating and researching your options on doing so. Best decision for me.

You had the gastric sleeve. .ie..partial stomach removal AND the lapband remained in? I have not heard of that.

It's hard to explain exactly, but I had the lapband for 10 years with very poor results. Sounds crazy but in my mind it wasn't "real" bariatric surgery. Ha. I found such relief when it was gone. Among other things. .no more port!

Now my perspective has changed. I feel like my smaller stomach is "normal" and i never felt normal with the band.

Yes, I did the sleeve and left the band in. If only I knew what I knew now I would have just had it removed completely and opted for the smaller stomach. I hate feeling the port and discomfort of it and think I would have an easier time losing and maintaining with a smaller stomach than a tool that never worked properly for me anyway. My stomach is still small, but they had to leave enough in to keep the band in place.

I completely agree with you, the band just made me sick and didn't curb my appetite and so I suffered being hungry and when I did eat, I was constantly throwing up and feeling miserable.

With the sleeve, I eat with no pain and feel full and content after small portions. It's perfect and feels absolutely normal for me. This is what successful bariatric surgery should feel like.

You had the gastric sleeve. .ie..partial stomach removal AND the lapband remained in? I have not heard of that.

It's hard to explain exactly, but I had the lapband for 10 years with very poor results. Sounds crazy but in my mind it wasn't "real" bariatric surgery. Ha. I found such relief when it was gone. Among other things. .no more port!

Now my perspective has changed. I feel like my smaller stomach is "normal" and i never felt normal with the band.

I don't feel normal either. It's so crazy.

I have never heard of this, the band has given me so many problems personally I just want it out. Did they go around the band? or did they remove it and put it back on?

I am set for a revision on Oct 20. I had my lap and placed in June 2009. I got down to 132lbs (with a lot of band torture). I had a small unfill and then my problems started. I am currently 8lbs below my lap band surgery weight. I am scared of the sleeve after the hell I went through with the band, but want to get back on track. I have been I completely I Unfilled for 6 months now. I still get stuck! I know that losses may be slower, but am ready to get this weight off for good!

I am so glad that you shared! Lap band enabled me to lose 70 pounds. For some reason, my band seemed "out of whack" and I needed knee replacement and then hip replacement. I recently had my band x-rayed. They said everything is fine. I have gained weight because doc drained all Fluid over a year ago. I am 66 and I wonder if my age would be a problem in a revision? I still throw up and get choked, w/o Fluid in band.

My cousin got the sleeve a few months ago and she is in her late 60's so I would say it's no problem. I'm having my lap band removed and getting the sleeve and I am going to be 61 in December.

I'm with you. I've never felt normal with the band. I am forever getting stuck. If I take out any Fluid I have no restriction. It just hasn't worked for me. I lost, I gained. My port is always tender.