Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amount of food...Kinda freaking out!

I'm 3 weeks out from surgery and my surgeon switched me to soft foods a week early because of the severe diarrhea I've had. Normally when I eat something like eggs or mashed potatoes i would feel the restriction right away after about 3-4 bites and not need to finish. This morning I made a dinty moore for Breakfast (10 oz). My intention was to eat what i could and then save the rest for lunch but i ended up eating the entire thing!! Whats really scary is Im still hungry. I thought maybe the hunger was acid reflux (as i've heard that offered before) but I don't feel ANY restriction at all. This isn't normal right?

At three weeks out I didnt really feel my restriction. That happened going to solid food. For me most Soups are slideres, same with yogerts. Other soft foods you should try is deli meat. Try 3 to 4 OZ of sliced turkey. I use to put mustard on it. At 3 weeks out that filled me up. Another one that fills me up is 1 poached egg on op of a 1/4 cup of refried Beans. Top with salsa. At 12 weeks out I still cant finish the eggs and beans. My dog gets the left overs:)

I am 4 days from being 2 mths post op. Basically I eat what ever I want - the thicker the food the less I eat. Yogurt - about 4 oz... Fish about 2 oz and a little less than one egg. On the average between 1/4 and 1/2 cup is max.

You may not feel restriction this early - that's why it's important to follow your doc's or NUT plan with regard to types of food and serving size.

Your "full" feeling may feel different post-op than it did before surgery. Another thing to think about - you want to eat until your hunger is gone, not necessarily "full"...There's a difference.

I had to figure out the full feeling...I realized that when I was starting to get the full feeling, my nose would run or I would do a hiccup/burp thing. I learned quickly to stop at that point - 2 or 3 bites beyond that was painful!

Make sure you're taking your time eating - it would take me 20 minutes to eat an egg at this point. Eat slowly and chew chew chew!

Hope this helps.

Hi Snowkitten ( I love your name by the way)! I too am 3 weeks out from surgery and am currently on pureeds easing into soft. What I ended up doing instead of waiting for restriction to stop eating is just went out and bought these 4-6 oz little glass bowls. I put 4oz of food in those and STOP when it's gone (whether I'm feeling restriction or not). I did that because I found myself wanting to eat until I was almost uncomfortable, and I didn't want to get into my "old" habits of eating until I was stuffed! That's how I got fat in the first place :P. Anyway, try that and see how it goes? It takes some getting used to, and I find that amount of food usually gets me satisfied and not miserable. As I'm able to eat a few more "tasty" foods in the soft phase, it is a little harder to stop at a quarter cup, but I make myself. That way you will feel in more control. Good Luck!

Edited by Babbs

Would i not feel the restriction this early even if i had the last 3 weeks?

Your absolutely right about the full feeling. I read a great article on here about that and i try to live by it . The problem im having is that i not only dont feel satisfied, i feel intesnsly HUNGRY.

Normally i take about 30 mins to eat. I was a slow eater before surgery so after hasn't been bad.

You may not feel restriction this early - that's why it's important to follow your doc's or NUT plan with regard to types of food and serving size.

Your "full" feeling may feel different post-op than it did before surgery. Another thing to think about - you want to eat until your hunger is gone, not necessarily "full"...There's a difference.

I had to figure out the full feeling...I realized that when I was starting to get the full feeling, my nose would run or I would do a hiccup/burp thing. I learned quickly to stop at that point - 2 or 3 bites beyond that was painful!

Make sure you're taking your time eating - it would take me 20 minutes to eat an egg at this point. Eat slowly and chew chew chew!

Hope this helps.

Thank you ! :)

Thats a good idea, it will definetly keep me from over eating despite hunger. Im just so worried that the amount i ate didn't satisfy me.

Hi Snowkitten ( I love your name by the way)! I too am 3 weeks out from surgery and am currently on pureeds easing into soft. What I ended up doing instead of waiting for restriction to stop eating is just went out and bought these 4-6 oz little glass bowls. I put 4oz of food in those and STOP when it's gone (whether I'm feeling restriction or not). I did that because I found myself wanting to eat until I was almost uncomfortable, and I didn't want to get into my "old" habits of eating until I was stuffed! That's how I got fat in the first place :P. Anyway, try that and see how it goes? It takes some getting used to, and I find that amount of food usually gets me satisfied and not miserable. As I'm able to eat a few more "tasty" foods in the soft phase, it is a little harder to stop at a quarter cup, but I make myself. That way you will feel in more control. Good Luck!

So I realized something and wanted to add it in hopes it may prompt someone with information to respond...

I always get this type of intense hunger right before my period. On 8/17 I started my period, last week I had this similar hunger and then soon started my period again (only lasted a few days). Now I have the hunger again and my normal back cramps have started. Which leads me to believe this is a 3rd period in one month. Is this normal?

If this is usual it still disturbs me that I was starving even after eating and I was eating so much. Any tips?