Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time off work post-op

I see where people say they've felt more like themselves 3-4 weeks post-op but I haven't seen much on when folks are going back to work.

I will only be able to take 1 week off work if I have the surgery this year (I'm trying for the first week of November). Not because I don't have the available time but because I am a manager for a major cell phone carrier and mid-November through the end of the year is obviously a very busy time for us. Plus we have black-out periods for vacation/personal time. I've already cleared it with my DM for the first week of November but if I haven't met all the doctors requirements by the end of October, I'll have to push it back to January (and will most likely take a full 2 weeks off if that's the case).

I don't do any heavy lifting and will be able to sit down when needed. The hardest thing will be finding time to eat when we're super busy (like Black Friday). I will be walking around the store a lot and working with my employees and customers.

Does anyone have experience with going back to work that quickly and in a similar profession? How difficult was it for you and how did you feel?

I had my surgery on a Wednesday ... Was off until the following Tuesday... Not quite a week. I am a teacher and felt like that was all I could take off... I felt great... A little tired but I felt fine... The days I was off I did rest and sleep. I can't imagine that I would have needed 6 weeks. I also had a hiatal hernia repair. I am now almost three weeks post op and feel good. Been swimming and working out. Still no lifting . Alyce

Awesome! Love hearing that. Thanks for the reply!

I am a Realtor and had 2 closings the week I got out of the hospital as well as a buyer client I was showing homes to (My husband was my chauffeur). I would say although your work may not be too physically demanding like mine, the issues I was having were the post surgery fatigue and MAKING SURE I was getting my Water and Protein in. You have to make sure you aren't "too busy to eat" or get your water in. It's critical for healing at that time! I would tell you it can be done, but you will be tired! If you decide to go for it and have the surgery now as opposed to later, make sure you are taking the time to get all your protein and water in...your health depends on it :)

I had surgery Wednesday and had to return the following Monday. I did absolutely fine. Towards the end of the week, I was very tired, but able to work. Fell asleep very early. I carried small ice chest in car with liquids, puddings, yogurt so I wouldn't forget to eat and drink.

I took off 7 weeks and glad I was able to. I had to take an unpaid leave of absence. At 5 weeks I was still having problems with fatigue and Constipation. On my other job I was back in two weeks but it is mostly sittling behind my desk. (I run a group home)

I was worried about all the heavy lifting i was going to have to do unloading and loading trucks on my morning job and the July/August weather has been mostly over 100 degrees. I go back to work tomorrow but I found out last Friday that during my absence they hired package handlers so all i will be doing is making deliveries when I go back. Very little heavy stuff. Thank God! I was worried for no reason. Still over 100 that peaks out in the afternoon mostly.

Also feeling great now and more than ready to get back to work.

Edited by mick

No way in hell I could have went back to work that quick. I had to stay 5 days in the hospital due to swelling and lack of being able to drink. I planned 2 weeks and was approved for 4. Thanks God I was able to take the time. I had a lot of pain up until 5 weeks. Everyone is different and I hope that you have a speedy recovery. =)

I know there's always the chance of complications and my week off is based on an easy surgery with no major issues.

I have a fairly high pain tolerance so my biggest concern is being weak and fatigued easily. My work days are usually around 9-10 hours long. I can take breaks and have a fridge and microwave available. I might get a small blender to keep up there as well.

I was wonder the same thing I'm a office manager and sit at a desk all day I have surgery on Tuesday and have to be back to work Monday or Tuesday at the latest

Same here. My surgery is scheduled for Tuesday, the 23rd and I expect to be back to work the following Monday.

Edited by NavyMom2006

I work in the corporate world as a retirement analyst, which worked well for me cause I can work from home, which I did for two weeks. I was very grateful for that because I was very tired and needed to rest in between work-lol. Besides, I couldn't drive and didn't have anyone to help me.

I'm now doing much better and wish I could work from home EVERYDAY!

i took two weeks off, but the other person here at work only took 1. I think its all according to how you feel if you think you can go back to work