Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am still pre-op and I am super excited to have surgery and have a new and healthier life. I have been so concerned that I'm going to regret my decision afterwards. I keep hearing that people often regret surgery after but that it usually starts to subside. If you did have initial regrets, how long did it take for you to feel like this was a good decision?

I have not had surgery yet, one month from tomorrow is my date. 10/14 new life starts. From the research I have done, and talking with a few people I know personally, I am expecting about 6 months of the "regret this" thoughts and then it will get better. I can do six months of regret, knowing it is not forever. My surgeon says I will do very well, and I am planning on that, and if I have complications, I will do my best. Both the women I know personally did get hospitalized at one point after surgery, one for dehydration, the other for infection, possibly related to surgery, possibly not. I can not wait to get the regret stage, have to go through it to get to my goal of being healthy.

I think the regret stage may be normal. My sister regretted getting surgery a few months out and I swore I would never do it watching her struggle. Then she got over the hump, started to have an easier time and awesome results and sure enough, here I am signed up for Oct 23rd surgery. I agree, I can handle a few tough months for a life changing opportunity.

Yeah, I've been talking to my friends about it. We've estimated the first 6 months to a year would be the worst and we are all prepared to support one another and work through it and I know it will all be worth it. I was just curious about other people's experiences.

I had regret at about week 3 post op. It is normal! I am 2 years post op now and do not regret the decision!

Below is an idea of the stages you go through in the beginning. It has so much to do with your hormones and brain. As you lose the weight your fat cells release hormones. On top of the increase hormones your brain is having a temper tantrum. You are not able to give it what it wants - food. So it does everything it can to make you give in and eat food. It will pass, but the first month can be difficult, but afterwards it is great! You can survive the first few months!

Here is my experience of the stages. The hardest was the emotional part. I hated being a teenager and I really hated feeling like an emotional/hormonal prepubescent teenager at 30+ years old.

Stage :

1 - what the hell did I do

2 - first stall - usually hits around the first month - people usually freak out a little during this stage. No it does not mean you have failed

No it does not mean you are done losing weight

No it does not mean you are a failure

3 - what the hell did I do stage - again

4 - stage 3 is closely followed by raging hormones. You feel like you are a pubescent teenager. Crying at everything and feeling in the mood for a little "fun" ten minutes later. Please be careful during this stage as we become very fertile.

5 - finally hit your groove. Once you survive all those stages in the first 6 weeks you realize you got this and can get through everything! Oh and that's about the time you get to go shopping!

That's awesome to see those stages. I would say they are pretty accurate. I felt regret probably right after surgery and for a few weeks. But I haven't felt it since!!

Good luck and just ride the wave of emotions!

The whole routine after surgery was so complex that it drove me crazy. I did adapt and reached my happy state at around 6 months.

I've heard people say that the first few weeks is the toughest, especially the liquid diet part. First time I've read that 6 months is normal.

I'm scheduled for October 31st. So excited and also nervous!

I felt like maybe I had done something wrong on the second day in the hospital. And the third day I was home. I've not had one regret since. good luck with everything

Edited by mamie60

I had gastric sleeve on Sept 10th. I have had the "what the hell did I do this for moment" a few times. However....it does get better. First are hard, for example the first time my family ordered pizza...or the day my daughter made brownies. Lots of self talk and reminding myself why I did this.....now almost 2 weeks out and I'm starting to get more used to the new me, it is getting easier. I'm sure there be more moments like this, but I'm learning to work through them. Good Luck

I'm 21 days post op and I've not had one regret. I find it very empowering not to be hungry. There has not been any foods such as pizza, steak or birthday cake I've been around since my surgery that has bothered me; although I am ready to be done with these Protein shakes!

Best of luck to you!

Carol

I am 3 1/2 months post-op and I have also had a few of the WTH did I do :) I think everyone does. But when you start feel great and you are loosing weight it makes it all worthwhile. It has made such a difference with my Fibromyalgia that I couldn't of asked for better results. I am at the point that even if I don't loose another pound I am happy because of how amazing I feel.

I'm laughing at Music1618 because I can totally relate! I'm only 5 weeks postop and am in a stall. Everyone in these forums have told me it's normal so I'm staying positive. The only regret I had was feeling dog tired the first 2 weeks until the puréed foods stage. I felt lethargic and close to comatose but couldn't get good sleep. I thought I would be like that forever, very upset. Sex drive is thru the roof but have also had rambling crying bouts. (Scared my kids, now they think it was funny). And I see people eating great tasty foods and I want in but the sleeve brings me back to reality. AND I discontinued my hypertension medicine after one week. Oh, also the gall bladder medicine they put me on gave me a bad rash. Other than that... No regrets.

I definitely had regret when I was dry heaving at the hospital and again at home. After about the 8th day post-op, I have been fine. Yes, I hate that there are a lot of things I can't eat, but I know the rewards will far outweigh the banana puddings and chocolate cakes I will miss. Best part, I got rid of my diabetes medication in the hospital!!! No turning back!!!!!

I had regrets right after when I was walking through the hospital and saw everyone eating their lunches. I wanted hospital food if you can believe that. The first 7-8 weeks are tough, no lie, because you are limited on what you can eat and how much. I would get terrible head hunger and just want to eat!! However, that all goes away and once you start to see yourself losing weight you begin to feel awesome and really want to work with the program. Doing the bypass was the best decision I ever made. I would do it over and over again. I have a friend who is considering bypass just because of the changes she has seen me make. Just remember that the bypass doesn't work alone. You have to follow the rules of eating given by your doctor and make sure to exercise and drink plenty of fluids.

I say do it and make a positive change in your life!