Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideas for 40th birthday celebration not food centric?

Hey there gang! I'm turning 40 in late October and will be 5 weeks post surgery. Any ideas on how I should Celebrate with friends and family, without having a food centric event? Thanks!! -- Alexsis

I'm in the exact same situation. Birthday in mid-October and I'll be about 4 weeks out from surgery. We're going to see a movie. Even though I do love popcorn, I have stopped getting it while I'm pre-op so it won't be as difficult afterwards.

Are you an outdoorsy sort? Organize a hike. Not so outdoorsy? Maybe go to a museum. Art. Science. Natural History. Or get out your aggressions and play some laser tag (I'm totally retaining my youth on that one. I would avoid paint ball though since you might get hit in the stomach. Ain't nobody got time for that). Is it a more family crowd? Arrange a hay ride at a pumpkin patch. Depending on your location, it still might be excellent weather for a concert or a movie in the park. If you are sporty, you can go to a football or basketball or hockey game. Stadium food is always way overpriced anyhow.

We did a pinball party. It was one of those places that are pay-one-price for all games. I ordered a couple of pizzas for the group as a snack, but we were mostly too busy to eat it. We all had a blast! ( and the leftover pizza was enjoyed by the staff. )

Happy Birthday!

All great ideas! Thanks.

not sure if you can do puree/softs on your program at this point, but it IS fall and that's a great time for chili! you could do a 'chili bar' include nacho chips, onions, cheese, jalapenos, sour cream, etc and allow everyone a mug to make their own little meal, you can have some of whatever your program allows!

this allows you to still have some food at your event AND food that you can enjoy too! in my neck of the woods, this would be a saturday evening event, complete with an outdoor bonfire, hoodies, stories, marshmallows for the kids to roast, and some awesome fellowship!

Ladies only Pole party. Yeah, I said it.

Hire a stripper! And invite me.

Not sure where you live, but a party where you make something (pottery?) at a store front where they fire it for you and have all the supplies. We have a couple of different ones here in the South SF Bay Area.

If you live where there isn't something like that, maybe a craft party such as scrapbooking or making a fall decor (get a jewelry tree and add leaves made from various fall colored papers and write things on each leaf).

Spa party is fun too. Nail polish, facial masks, scrubs, mint tea, parafin dip.

Lynda