Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American vsgers!

Hi all...First time posting to this group. I am 3 months out, 69 lbs down (21 lbs in pre-op diet, 48 lb since surgery on 11/20). I am pleased with vsg so far. No surgery complications and no issues with food.

Welcome @@vsgchick!

Hi all...First time posting to this group. I am 3 months out, 69 lbs down (21 lbs in pre-op diet, 48 lb since surgery on 11/20). I am pleased with vsg so far. No surgery complications and no issues with food.

congrats on your weight loss. any advice you want to give on how your journey is so far.

Hello everyone! I finally got preop checklist done and submitted all the paperwork to the coordinator, so I'm waiting for insurance approval. It's been a hard road for me because for the past 13 years or so I've been on a weight loss journey and have had way too many ups and downs. The last time I was in one-derland was in 2007. I started going to wt loss doc in 2013 and tried everything including meds with small victories but started gaining wt. again. It's taken a long time to qualify for WLS because I didn't have any comorbidities, but now I'm pre-diabetic and have insulin resistance. I've also struggled with mixed feelings, because a big part of me felt/feels that I should be able to lose the weight on my own, but I'm having a hard time exercising because of knee pain/problems.

I'm sorry for the length of the post, I never realized how cathartic posting could be.

@@elladvyne - I always recommend to anyone with knee problems to try and locate a Water aerobics class. It made a world of difference for me even before WLS.

@@elladvyne - I always recommend to anyone with knee problems to try and locate a Water aerobics class. It made a world of difference for me even before WLS.

Thanks. I also need to find a physical therapist who takes my insurance.

You can call the insurance co and have them give you a list of names to check out.

Welcome @@vsgchick!

congrats on your weight loss. any advice you want to give on how your journey is so far.

Thank you! I am sticking with my surgeon's plan. My calories are around 900, carbs under 50g, Protein is usually at 75-80g. I also drink at least 80oz of Water and currently doing moderate exercise 3-4x per week. I will bump up the calories/carbs when my workouts get more intense.

hey ladies! how is everyone doing?

Hi everybody!

I'm in the first steps. I have an appointment with my PCP on Monday then with Dr. Dewitt on 3/21.

My AA sisters, how is everyone doing with Protein, Vitamins and hair? I'm 13 days post sleeve and FINALLY was able to wash my hair. I had wanted to do it before but it was too much. I'm natural with hair past my shoulders. After careful washing, conditioning, two hours gentle combing and putting my head into two-strand twists, there was a large enough hair ball for a couple of babies. My hair is my crowning glory, and it is thick, that is texture and amount. I had believed it would be okay if it thinned a little bit, but from what I have read, most have lost hair in Patches. Now I am a little scared. Thoughts?

Has anyone had troubles getting in their Protein? If so, how did you handle it and did it prevent you from losing weight?

It took a week or 2 post op to work up to getting in at least 60gm of Protein per day, but now I get in at least 70 pretty much every day.

My AA sisters, how is everyone doing with protein, Vitamins and hair? I'm 13 days post sleeve and FINALLY was able to wash my hair. I had wanted to do it before but it was too much. I'm natural with hair past my shoulders. After careful washing, conditioning, two hours gentle combing and putting my head into two-strand twists, there was a large enough hair ball for a couple of babies. My hair is my crowning glory, and it is thick, that is texture and amount. I had believed it would be okay if it thinned a little bit, but from what I have read, most have lost hair in Patches. Now I am a little scared. Thoughts?

I am 6 mths out. At first Hair loss was not a problem. I take Biotin regularly. I was taking this pre-op since I am menopausal and have locs. This week I noticed my temples are a little thin. I've started back using Jamaican Black Castor oil. From what I read on the forums as long as you are getting in your protein, the hair loss should stop after a month or two. My locs are bra strap length and I'm not sure if the thinning edges are from my swimcap( I do aquafit 5 days a week), the WLS, or a combination of both. If you are a loose natural, I would recommend putting your hair in a protective style, make sure you are getting in your vitamins/supplements and protein. Hopefully the loss won't be too bad.

Hello AA Sleevers!

I am new to this group. I am having surgery on March 25th. I have a question for you guys.

Is it true that AAs lose weight slower than other nationalities with regards to WLS?

@@mojo, I haven't heard that we lose slower or less but it seems the lower weight we start out, the slower we lose. If you start at 300 or more you drop a lot faste.

Hi AA Sleevers

I'm glad I discovered this group, it's helping me out a lot. I am in the process of getting all my pre testing done, going to nutrition classes and meeting with surgeon. Waiting to get a date for my surgery, but I'm looking at the first week of May. I had to wait 3 month because of insurance. My goal is to lose 47 lbs before surgery, so I would only have a 100 lbs to lose. Any advice you can offer, would be greatly appreciated.