Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need a buddy that can help me

I'm just looking for someone who has been sleeved and can help me through the process and like what helped them or how they felt mentally about it. I was sleeved on 9/4/2014 I live in Denver if that helps or matters. Thank you

Hi Anthony,

I was sleeved on June 24th, so I'm a little over 11 weeks out from surgery. I've lost 65 pounds so far (including 11 pre-surgery), and just made it to 200 lbs this morning! I've set my goal weight at 154, which will put me exactly 1 pound into the "normal" BMI range. At this point, one week out from surgery, you should be starting to feel a little better. As the swelling goes down, much of the discomfort from eating and drinking will ease as well. You'll still be feeling and hearing those weird gurgling sounds, but they'll get better soon. What I can tell you, is that barring any complications, you will feel better and better every day. If you can, try to stay off work for another week. If you haven't already, you'll want to start walking every day. It helps with the healing process, and accelerates your weight loss. And be sure to get at least 64 oz. of fluids in every day to avoid Constipation. I need to warn you that in a couple of weeks, you will experience The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. You'll stop losing weight, and you'll think you're going crazy. You'll wonder if you're doing something wrong, or if your doctor screwed up. Not so! It's a perfectly normal "stall" that happens to everyone. You might not lose any weight for two to three weeks. Don't freak out! Here's an article that explains why it happens. Once you get past it, the pounds will just drop off. Okay, that's my starter stuff. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have, either on this forum, or through a private message. Good luck! -Rog-

Thank you for your help. The article was awesome. Honestly my only concern is complications I keep hearing horror stories of people having complications two weeks out so i am a little scared of that. I am barely hitting my goal Water intake which I thought would be easier because I used to drink 200 oz of water a day because I have chronic kidney disease. so I thought 64oz would be a cake walk but it is pretty hard.

Here's something I just posted in another forum. You're not quite ready for this yet, but maybe you'll get some ideas about how to get your fluids and Protein in once you get a few more weeks down the road...

• I keep a 2-quart jug and a 24-oz cup both at home and at work.
  • I count my morning Protein shake as a meal, not as Fluid. (30 grams of protein)
  • 30-60 minutes later, I have a cup of coffee. (Count it as a Fluid if you like.)
  • After that, I drink a 24-oz. cup of Decaf, sugar-free iced tea, like Crystal Light. (Lots of frequent sips)
  • Then I walk for 40+ minutes.
  • Then it's lunchtime - tuna or chicken salad, or leftover Protein from dinner. (16-22 grams of protein)
  • About 45 minutes after lunch, I fill another 24-oz cup of iced tea and work on that throughout the afternoon, finishing by 30 minutes before my afternoon snack.< /li>
  • Afternoon snack is usually a Greek yogurt (12 grams of protein) or V-8, or some leftovers. (This is also a good time to get in some veggies if you're getting enough protein at other times.)
  • Maybe a cup of hot tea in the later afternoon. (Count it as a fluid you like.)
  • Then dinner - again, getting 20-25 grams of protein and maybe a bite or two of veggies.
  • Finally, another 25-oz cup of iced tea or Water 30-45 minutes after dinner that I sip throughout the evening.
  • If I'm hungry later, sugar-free Jello or popsicles are good.

So that's 70+ grams of protein and more than 64 ounces of fluid, with some exercise thrown in. Lately I'm finding that the fluid is taking away my need for Snacks, so I have to make sure I don't miss out on some protein! If you have a regular enough schedule, you can follow it every day. If not, maybe a modified version will work. The big trick is in pre-planning your meals and your fluids.

Good luck!

Edited by Rogofulm

How much Water were you able to drink at a time? Because I don't know how much I should try last week they said to only drink 1oz at a time but they didn't say anything about this week? I just don't want to push it or anything. Thank you again for your help

You should be able to drink 4-6 oz of liquids per hour to help get you to 64 oz. Right now I'm only on day 4 post op, so I'm just counting my two 11 oz Protein Shakes towards my liquid goal of 64 oz. So I try and get in 42 oz of liquids. It's not that hard if you always keep Water or crystal light near you. I keep a big 33 oz Smart. water bottle with me at all times. My goal is to finish one and a half of those before bed time.

I think you can drink as much as you can tolerate. Just sip, sip, sip all day long, except for the hour around mealtime. As soon as one sip clears the constriction, you can try another. You really need to get your 64 oz any way you can. And I've found that drinking more fluids actually makes me thirstier. Once your body gets used to being fully hydrated, it craves it. And that's a good thing for us! At this point, I can drink 24 oz in 20 minutes, so that makes it easier. Hang in there -- every part of this gets easier as you continue your journey! I'm 12 weeks out from surgery, and last weekend I took my wife to a really nice restaurant for her birthday and was able to eat my entire meal of lamb chops, spinach, and a mystery veggie with cheese (no drinks, bread or dessert, of course), and even had a little room left for coffee afterwards. And since I was really careful the rest of the weekend, I still lost weight! So that should give you hope that eventually you'll be able to have a "normal" life, whatever that means. Cheers!