Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going on 5 months out from surgery and one year from the start of my weight loss journey. I am so happy I made this change and do not regret one moment, even while sitting in a urologist waiting room to find out about all these urine infections. 110 pounds gone and I will Celebrate only having 60 to go.

Here is my issue, I do not recognize the face staring back at me in the mirror. This seems strange to my family. As this year has moved along at first I couldn't see any changes. I felt like I had always looked like this( good self and body images can get you in trouble sometimes, didn't realize really how out of control my weight had became.)

Now I have surpassed what I thought I looked like to an unknown place of what do I look like and what will I look like. This balancing act is hard for me to adjust too. Who I am has not had the same drastic inward change as the outside has.

Anyone else find themselves walking pass mirrors and thinking who is that. I find myself even having to touch my hands and arms to just get use to the different me.

I have never been thin or considered smaller than others even in school I was heavy.

It is strange getting to know this new me.

After the weight loss, I found that many people I know do not recognize me. Sometimes they have a strange look on their faces - like I think I know who this person is but I can't quite place it.

I recognize myself because I had been up and down on my weight before, but what I can't get use to, is that I'm not 320lbs anymore. I still think that way. I feel embarrassed to talk to people because I still feel like I'm heavy. I have to remind myself I'm not that same person anymore. I don't want to take some classes at the gym because I think people will laugh at how huge I am, but this is not the case now. Still working on it :)

I totally understand the still thinking like your heavy. I am a teacher and I am always walking around the room afraid to go between the desk thinking I will not fit through. Or I have the same issue with working out or even goofing off that everyone is watching that fat lady try to do something she shouldn't do. I am building up courage to jump on the trampoline. I did have the most amazing thing happen my husband lifted me off the ground to crack my back.. Last time I was picked up was 27 years ago.

I have been invisible for the majority of the last 20 years. Sure, physically there was a lot of me to see, but there were no expectations. I was safe. I knew nobody was going to expect anything from me or ask me to do anything. But that has changed and it's kinda scary.

I'm also struggling because I have a new job and nobody there knew me 70 lbs ago

as a plus size person. This is great, if only I can get the plus size person out of my head.

Our identity has changed. We need to address it. We have new roles, a new identify, new goals, new interests. For me, it's also a change from taking care of everyone else first to taking care of me before others.

I agree our identity has changed. I was thinking it wouldn't based on my own reason for weight loss, but I can totally see it changing.

I like the new me. Not hiding during introductions, talking to new people, willing to try new things. Still shy but gaining a confidence I haven't had.

I agree the new me takes time getting use to but I love it everyday I have a reason to love life and enjoy life and continue on my goal to be healthy, every time I go to the gym I am happy because this is another step toward the new me, and my choice to love me more than anything else. I am only 3 and a half months post opt and I am in a size large yoga pants who would have thought. My clothes are falling off of me but I refuse to have clothing of different sizes anymore in my closet so I am now shopping at the concession stores. Take one day at a time and focus on just enjoying the day and that you made good choices. I find myself rewarding myself if its nothing more that painting my toenails .