Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I recently discontinued prednisone after 5 years of use. Until I switched to my new pulmonologist, I was unable to tapper down any lower than 20 mg. However, since being with him I have gone all the way down to 3 mg. The first time ever. He is the one who suggested the bariatric surgery for me as a tool to improve my breathing being that my lungs will not be pushed up into my rib cage by the fat middle I have accumulated as a result of extended prednisone use. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that can relate to my story about respiratory problems, prednisone use and having asthma or copd and contemplating this surgery. My surgery is scheduled for 9/30/14. Also, I am scheduled for an EGD. Does everyone have to have this done? Please share. I need to hear from you guys. Thanks.

Hi Marilyn,

Most everyone has to have a EGD done when having the sleeve. I had mine done on 08/06/14 and it was very very simple. You go, they give you an IV, roll you back to a room where you see this big screen like TV, the anesthesiologist then says they are about to give you meds and it may burn a lil...30secs after saying that I was out like a light and was awaken by the nurse about 15mins later in recovery...lol you wont remember or feel a thing. Its for them to see if you have any pre existing problems like H. Pylori, hiatal hernia, etc...I ended up having gastritis but that wont hinder surgery.

I have asthma too, and had been on prednisone on and off in recent years until I was put on the proper control meds. I fully believe that prednisone, although a necessary evil, changes our bodies far more than "an increased appetite and minor weight gain". I have vowed to avoid it as much as possible from now on. Good luck with your surgery. I hope it brings you wonderful health gains! :)

Hi, yes I have the copd asthma and my lungs are pretty bad. I sleep with O2 every night for past year and half. Had to get clearance from my pulmonary dr for the surgery. Have to see him one more time before surgery to make sure the lungs are clear. He's the one who told me I don't need wls just do it the old fashion way... Does he really think I'd be doing wls if I could lose the weight and keep it off! I too have been off and on the prednisone for years, gotta love that moon face it gives you,NOT! Prednisone is a great medicine, helps my arthritis as well but the side effects are horrible.

Good luck to you.

quote name="MARILYNMONROE525" post="3597745" timestamp="1410276377"]I recently discontinued prednisone after 5 years of use. Until I switched to my new pulmonologist, I was unable to tapper down any lower than 20 mg. However, since being with him I have gone all the way down to 3 mg. The first time ever. He is the one who suggested the bariatric surgery for me as a tool to improve my breathing being that my lungs will not be pushed up into my rib cage by the fat middle I have accumulated as a result of extended prednisone use. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that can relate to my story about respiratory problems, prednisone use and having asthma or copd and contemplating this surgery. My surgery is scheduled for 9/30/14. Also, I am scheduled for an EGD. Does everyone have to have this done? Please share. I need to hear from you guys. Thanks.

Hi Marilyn,

I have asthma & COPD so I can relate to your breathing issues. I have had to do the 6 month supervised diet for insurance & tomorrow is my last appt.. I am hoping to be scheduled for sometime next month. I will say I was able to lose 45 lbs over the past 6 mths & breathing has improved greatly. I saw my pulmonologist today & I have already gotten rid of one of my meds... stated I will probably be off the CPAP shortly after my surgery & he is already talking about reducing my other meds in a couple of months. I truly believe this surgery will be a life safer for me. BTW ... it was my pulmonologist that suggest the surgery for me as well.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I feel more sure now. I wanted to know bc my family is not supportive of the surgery and they are saying things like you are still going to have bad lungs, etc. They just don't understand that its more than that. If they had to carry around all this extra, that is not being able to walk with your hands to your sides, sleeping with a machine, taking over 20 meds daily and having a thousand doc appts every month, then maybe they would understand better. They keep waiting for me to change my mind. I have you all now. Its all the way or bust. lol

Due to an illness, I was on heavy doses of Prednisone for over 2 years and put on 110 lbs during that time. (80 Mg a day for 1.5 yrs and 6 month to wean off) I was unable to loose that weight and added on another 20 trying to diet over the next 10 years. After I was off it I became chronically ill with respiratory issues like you. Had pneumonia pretty bad 2xs and was hospitalized both times, 16 days 1st time and 11 days 2nd time. I also developed seasonal asthma and had to go on inhalers along with a host of other issues.

I agree, it is a great drug with horrible side effects. Saved my life while ruining it... I can climb stairs without stopping, etc.

I am 7 days into my pre op and will be sleeved 9/16. My husband is not happy about the surgery. Tonight we talked and I just told him that I want to live and he needs to help n support me. We have 4 kids, 3 still home , 2 of which are in HS. I'm doing this for me and so I can be there for them????

I recently discontinued prednisone after 5 years of use. Until I switched to my new pulmonologist, I was unable to tapper down any lower than 20 mg. However, since being with him I have gone all the way down to 3 mg. The first time ever. He is the one who suggested the bariatric surgery for me as a tool to improve my breathing being that my lungs will not be pushed up into my rib cage by the fat middle I have accumulated as a result of extended prednisone use. I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that can relate to my story about respiratory problems, prednisone use and having asthma or copd and contemplating this surgery. My surgery is scheduled for 9/30/14. Also, I am scheduled for an EGD. Does everyone have to have this done? Please share. I need to hear from you guys. Thanks.

Good Luck!! You can do it????