Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unbelievable! pcp lied straight to my face @ bariatric surgery!

begin rant....so....long story short, my pcp told me that he would drop me like a hot stone if i went to mexico for surgery. so, i began interviewing new pcp's. this time i figured a female would be more understanding of my situation. WRONG!!!!! this woman had the audacity to tell me that 1) i would never qualify for surgery because i have anxiety and panic attacks (well regulated by a low dosage med) 2) it was major surgery with a high mortality rate, so high that obesity was safer! 3) it doesn't work 4) i would be thrown into a deep depression if i did the surgery because i couldn't eat like i used to! but she did say that she would be willing to do my follow up blood work after the surgery! i think i may keep her just to rub it in her face and then switch. end rant.....

Many PCPs don't understand obesity very well. My FORMER PCP was fired after she told me that I just needed to buy better cookbooks to lose weight. Say what?

begin rant....so....long story short, my pcp told me that he would drop me like a hot stone if i went to mexico for surgery. so, i began interviewing new pcp's. this time i figured a female would be more understanding of my situation. WRONG!!!!! this woman had the audacity to tell me that 1) i would never qualify for surgery because i have anxiety and panic attacks (well regulated by a low dosage med) 2) it was major surgery with a high mortality rate, so high that obesity was safer! 3) it doesn't work 4) i would be thrown into a deep depression if i did the surgery because i couldn't eat like i used to! but she did say that she would be willing to do my follow up blood work after the surgery! i think i may keep her just to rub it in her face and then switch. end rant.....

I'm reminded if the saying, "the best revenge is a better life."

Sounds like you need a new pcp! It's possibly she didn't lie...it seems more likely she just isn't educated in the procedure. A lot of people who haven't researched the process think going to Mexico is shady, when in reality they probably do more surgeries than we do in America and their success rate is the same!

obesity was safer! ...

@@mrshawk92

gotta love that statement :lol: :lol:

by a professional yet!!!

keep looking for him/her :)

you'll find someone great

any smart PCP would be lucky to have you as a patient :)

I asked my PCP if he thought i was "big" enough to qualify for WLS

he very/too quickly said - YES :o:D

hmmmm - didn't have to give it a 2nd thought :D

but he is great and he continues to be very helpful and supportive :)

@CowgirlJane your PCP actually said

"needed to buy better cookbooks to lose weight." :lol:

did you ever find those?!!! :rolleyes: :lol:

@I will what I want - I'm reminded of the saying,

"the best revenge is a better life." - like that :)

@@mrshawk92

congrats to you and your soon to be lucky dr ;)

good luck with pending surgery in Mexico or the states!!! :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

A valid point is that alot of WLS patients DO regain. That was one of my former PCPs arguments against... and it isn't a lie, it is a plain and simple fact. However, I look at it differently. First, there is much better education and support for people to have long term success now so for those that take advantage of that, they have better tools to prevent regain. Second, even if i regain half of what i lost... which I am determined to NOT let happen, I am still way better off...

oh grammy... she was an idiot. She had recently discovered slowcooking/crockpot cooking and felt it was the answer to all over eating. You have got to be kidding me. i have slow cooked, fast cooked, baked, grilled - you name it, for years - and yet weighed 300#. It is a stereotype that all obese people live off mcdonalds and cheetos.

I'm wagering that your PCP was not informed of the latest tends in WLS, specifically, Sleeve Gastrectomy. The procedure was only approved in 2013 in the US, and many physicians are just not up to speed on it yet, and may be biased by negative experiences, as well as the risks and side effects of other procedures.

Perhaps you could provide her with your research from Bariatric Surgeons here and in Mexico, and ask to see the data that she is citing, if she doesn't change her tune.

She, as well as other doctors need to get educated about this if they are going to be responsibly advising patients.

Good luck!

I'm sorry, but no one needs a PCP whom they have to educate about modern medical science.

If they don't know their stuff already, what do you need them for?

OC I am curious about the approval of the sleeve in 2013. ...mine was done in 2011 and I was not aware it was still unapproved. Would love to read up on this.

Wow. That's ridiculous. My doctor made all kinds of Mexico cartel jokes but was ultimately supportive.