Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No energy, no strength, and quickly exhaused...help!

I am in my 5th week of post-op. I have always been strong, and had been doing HIIT (high intensity interval training) for almost a year prior to my surgery. I hear that walking and exercising is key to recovery. But I have absolutely no energy, and I tire so quickly. Not to mention feeling so weak. When will I get my strength and energy back? Am I on queue or behind in regards to post-op recovery? Is something wrong? I read about people exercising and jogging, I'm doing good just to get every day things accomplished.

Sorry you're feeling under the weather! The only advice I can offer, listen to your body,stop fighting it, rest-and sleep as you need to.

You will recover , everyone is a little different. Healing takes time, I had lap band, but had no energy for the longest time. I did walk but no way could I clean the house, or do vigorous exercise. It gets better!

I had a RNY gastric bypass and I did not experience the symptoms you described. So something might be wrong. I would take a close look at Vitamin and medicine intake first.

Thank you both for your comments. I have been taking probiotic chewable, prenatal (no I'm not pregnant, lol) multi Vitamin chewables, and trying to get my Protein in. But I can't hardly clean or do anything without without getting exhausted.

Are you getting in your B12 Vitamins (500 to 1000 micrograms sublingual B12 weekly or 1000 mcg. IM injection once monthly)?

Are you getting in your 100 mg. Thiamine (vitamin B1) weekly?

I am not taking Thiamin, I was not told to; but I will look for some. I take the B12 shot once a month, but I'm not sure the MG. Thank you!

You might look into a bariatric Vitamin like optisource. It's a chewable you can buy at Walgreens. These were specially recommended by my bypass team. I'm 4 weeks out and have been doing well. I hope you're better soon.

Awesome, thanks! I will go tomorrow and see if I can find some.

Have you had your thyroid checked recently? You have to have all three thyroid panels of blood work drawn or it might be overlooked. Actually, it would probably be good to get a thorough blood test so that you can be sure its not a Vitamin defencieny like others have mentioned.

time to call your pcp or wls. and get a blood panel done. another thought is you are not getting enough of the right foods. perhaps a check in with your nutritionist to see if you are eating correctly. but for sure see your doctor.

Hi there. Make sure you are getting about 800 calories in daily, I was having the same problem and my doc advised 800-1000 calories as a norm

Many WLS patients walked in your footsteps before you. We all use carbohydrates for energy and limiting your carbohydrates as much as we're asked, can create some low energy concerns.

I was listening to a couple of doctors discussing insulin and glucose levels and one of them mentioned that insulin is still a fairly new hormone that is still misunderstood in many ways. He said that many obese people's bodies have relied on a constant stream of energy(carbs) for so long that their bodies are very bad with burning fat for fuel since there's been no need for this with so many carbs entering the bloodstream?

We all live in this world of constant grazing and compared to our ancestors we virtually live in a supermarket of processed foods.

In other words, your energy is low because you're not getting enough fuel(carbs) and your body has not adapted to burning fat as fuel. Therefore you can or will be sluggish till your body accepts this new way of living? jmo

tmf

Oh my gosh, all of the wonderful suggestions and support means so much! I have felt so alone (medically) during all of this. I have read every single post, and I will definitely take to heart all of the advice and suggestions. Thank you all so much!

I had RNY Gastric bypass on 8/19 and feel the same way. I have NO energy and feel weak all the time. I eat roughly 600 calories a day, I get my Protein in and most of my drink. I don't have a nutritionist meeting for 2 weeks yet. I do listen to my body; when I can i push it, but when I can't, I take it easy. I tried one day to push it when I did not feel like it and it put me in bed for 4 days...