Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting 5:2 and no scale this week

Well one day of low calories and NO junk of any kind including any fried food, and my band is tighter this morning. I was formerly able to eat canned chicken with a tablespoon of mayo. Today only a third of the can. That's okay. Good actually. If I get hungry later I have Protein Shakes and almonds at my desk. I was looking longingly at those almonds yesterday. Lol

Edited by JustWatchMe

Okay, I'm in! Doing my mental prep now in anticipation of Thursday. Watched the videos (thanks TMF!) and making some plans. Wednesday night I will stop caloric intake at 9:00 PM (I figure I can move this up earlier if needed) then I'll have my first calories on Thursday at 2:00 PM. So that's fifteen hours to begin. Since I'm not a Breakfast eater and am often not hungry until noon or so, this seems like a natural way for my body to function. So Thursday 2PM Protein, Protein, protein -- then another protein meal in the evening -- under 500 calories for both. Then Friday, back to "normal" through the weekend and Sunday PM stop caloric intake at 9:00 PM. Excited, thanks for the motivation (as usual!).....

@@2muchfun hmmm....maybe I will try the 7PM rather than 9PM as I was planning. Heck, it's only a couple days a week. Way to go on the 18 pounds since June. That is terrific. I feel like I need a little jumpstart, that I had a day or two of challenging my band and just feeling a little meh. This should get me going again.

Bandista, you in a stall too?

Yep! I don't report it out because of all the people who think not losing weight one week is a stall, but I am feeling a bit on pause mentally with regard to food. There's that horrific notion that my body is kind of comfortable where it is. Got to shake that up! Meanwhile, I do seem to be on a major exercise jag so that's something. I don't mind that the rest of the weight may take a while to come off but I want to know that it's still moving in the right direction. I hit the eighties and was so happy but I've been hovering around that number and even slowly creeping up a few, etc. Like Just Watch Me, I am not going to get on the scale for a bit just to "regroup" -- brain and body both need a little jumpstart right now.

Okay I was feeling like some almonds so I had some but I'm definitely feeling more restriction today. It's always a challenge for me to STOP chewing when I feel food stopping up but before real satiety/satisfaction. But when I do stop I am always always glad I did. So today even with about 8 or 9 almonds left on my desk from my quarter cup I stopped and tossed them in the wastebasket.

I'm still catching up on the videos but Thursday I think I will make my 500 calories one meal which will be lunch. That sounds doable to me and work-friendly.

Oh and side note, I can't believe it took me this long to figure this out, but Subway will make a salad for you with any old thing you want in it veggie wise. So yesterday I had all veggies and a little shredded cheese and the shaker seasonings. No dressing. Some banana peppers instead. They chopped it for me and I didn't even need dressing. Not even oil. Maybe Thursday I'll add some more Protein to that and have another salad.

My problem recently with food was having fried food all the time and too many carbs. I rationalized the fried food big time. I'm encouraged today with this kick start and will choose healthier.

Feeling good!

Edited by JustWatchMe

Try not to make this a diet! On non-fast days you should eat normally but by normal I mean healthy and no deep fried or highly processed foods. Use your tool(band) to reduce your hunger. That's why I love this way of eating. Even on non-fast days I find it easy to eat 1400-1600 calories.

I think we all have to find our way on those fasting days. What works for me may not work for you. Sandy suggested eating several small meals and I read last night of some folks who did their fast this way. I shoot for one mid day shake(150 cals) and a follow-up dinner around 6 pm of about 500 cals. It's really hard to stop eating after that shake I gotta tell you.

I've found it easy to carry on the fasting later in the day with very little discomfort. It only gets uncomfortable after I have that first calorie filled shake or meal.

Be malleable and willing to make changes as you progress with this new way of eating. The comforting knowledge that we can go back to eating normal on non-fasting days is the key for me.

tmf

I keep reading and think mmmm maybe this is what I need to get this last few lbs off as I have been staying the same for a few Months now and I am still eating the same , definitely not like I used to because there is NO way my band will let me which is great , however I really can't eat early I tried & I have my 2 Protein Drinks then a small meal for dinner , I do know if I stay up to late & that is some days when I have to work the late shift then I want to ravish everything but I don't , so I take my shower & got to bed , no tv, , computer or whatever , so hopefully this might help a bit.

What appeals to me is that this isn't a radical change. My doctor wanted me on 800 calories a day early in my post op period. I can handle 500 two separate days of the week especially if I know the next day I can always have whatever I'm craving. Sometimes I need to get out of my inaction and this hopefully will be a way to do that.

I'm not a Breakfast eater, so I normally have a greek yogurt (80 cal at lunch) and the rest of my calories at dinner. I find that the yogurt gives me just enough to keep me going til dinner. I guess the problem with trying to take it til 2 for me is that we have assigned lunch times and if I don't take it when offered, I won't get it. Hubby and I are doing 3 days this week just to kind of shake things up a little.

Not weighing as soon as I open my eyes has been a real ... eye opener.

Feeling strong today!!

I am going to start this as well. Since I am coming in late this week. I am doing it today, and then start on Monday again. So Monday and Wednesdays will be my days. The hard part will be no coffee for me in the morning on those days. I have been stuck at the same weight for around over month now and need something to kick start me. Good luck to everyone.

Okay so today is Wonderful Wednesday. I can eat what I want. I started my day with a reduced fat cheese stick and I found myself craving almonds today so I just had some. Not quite lunchtime yet but I went to track them as a snack. Well lo and behold, I got a wakeup call. I thought I was "measuring" an ounce (a fistful, right?) of almonds. But then I decided to count them out. Holy c**p. 48 raw almonds. I looked that up in MyFitnessPal and 24 (!) raw almonds is 240 calories. Half of what I was going to eat as a snack! I grumbled and counted out 24 almonds. Ate them, slowly. Felt good. 24 was enough. I know this is not a "diet", so I will eat sensibly the rest of the day based on what I want. Fasting tomorrow. But WHAT an eye opener with the portion!

I know @@Bandista once mentioned carrying almonds in small jars pre-portioned. I need that trick because my eyeballs really want to underestimate my portions.

I'm allowing myself to eat what I want on non fasting days BUT track scrupulously. To track honestly I have to be honest about portions.

There. I said it. Whew!

Edited by JustWatchMe

My first fast day -- I think I will need to go beyond 2PM as I didn't stop (grazing, ugh) last night until 9:30 or so. We had company for dinner which is probably a strategic error for Sun or Wed eves (I am 5:2 ing Mon and Thurs for now). I made grilled fish, very plain, so I have some of that set aside for tonight (very small bowl all I need, lol). Combined the rest of the fish into a casserole with the potatoes and peas and gluten-free breadcrumbs (crumbled up toast, basically) for my family so they are all set. I use Imagine brand potato-leek Soup which comes in a carton to make the "casserole" creamy. Husband is Celiac, kid doesn't eat dairy (Asian). Tricky! And I could eat potatoes, GF bread, etc., but generally elect not to. Here's the thing. Last night I found myself wanting to have food because I knew I'd be fasting today. cheese in the house is a stumbling block for me. Had some on rice cakes last night with red wine -- the old wine and cheese party that keeps tripping me up. I want to be careful with not allowing diet mentality to renter my life -- the old on/off toggle switch. And I'm going to pay good attention today to how my body is feeling, hunger signals, etc. The mindful listening. Later I'll plan what to have to break the fast -- beautiful fish, maybe some almonds (loved your post above, Watch Me!), or maybe I'll go the easy way with a shake. Those don't usually hold me, though, and I want to be careful with my 500 to find good satiety.

I had a continuing ed class all day yesterday and for Breakfast it was bagels/cream cheese and pizza for lunch. I caved. So, today's my fast day too.

Anyone ever notice on those days where we eat lots of processed flours, sugars like Bagels and pizza dough, I can't turn it off? Me too on the late night grazing. For me, those processed foods including potatoes and white rice only make me want more as the day goes along. Thank Gawd these CE classes are only once a year.

tmf