Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Great tasting protein shakes? Need input for which are the best brands.

I am still pre-op, but my surgery is on Sept. 9th. The pre WLS shakes from my surgeon's office are blech. And I do mean blech. I drank an Adkins chocolate shake yesterday because I was away from home and needed something in my system. I thought I had died and gone to Heaven. But these shakes are too high in fat.

Please, may I have suggestions for brands of Protein Shakes that taste good? Again, the ones my surgeon's office gave us are God awful.

Everyone's tastes are different, but here's what I like and still drink 8 months postop...

Syntrax nectar cherry, lemonade, apple, and fuzzy naval

Premier Protein chocolate, strawberry and vanilla (diluted with milk....Too thick and sweet for me to drink straight)

Syntrax matrix vanilla

Muscle Milk cake batter, red velvet cake, and banana cream

Spirutein banana

Garden of Life Raw Protein chocolate, vanilla and Marley coffee

Garden of a Life Raw Fit original

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored

I also use Torani SF syrups, Mio Water flavors, bananas, peaches, mangos, blueberries, coffee, etc to add variety to my shakes.

Ones I didn't like....

Isopure

Jay Robb

Chike

I tend to have a RTD Premier chocolate shake in the morning. I don't like shakes but over lots of ice it tastes like chocolate milk, very little aftertaste.

Isopure RTD tastes good but I get a nasty aftertaste with it.

I have found that the Syntrax nectar - fuzzy naval, strawberry kiwi, lemon tea are all pretty good. I don't like shake consistency so I mix them in my Nutribullet and then put in fridge until the foam is gone. Then I pour over a glass of ice.

I also tried a scoop of unjury unflavored with 1 packet of Crystal Light pink lemonade and 1 packet of Crystal Light regular lemonade with 10 ounces of Water. Did the Nutribullet, let it sit in fridge, and then drank it over ice. It was sweet and tart. I plan to try more variations of this with Crystal Light and Unjury unflavored.

As others have said, everyone is different so just keep trying and you'll find something that works for you. Good Luck!

Edited by Myonlybattle

Hi...just needed to tell you about this Protein shakes that have 30grams of Protein. They are called Premier Protein and you buy them from Sam's warehouse or costco stores. My favorite is chocolate no after taste whatsoever! They have vanilla and strawberry. They also have Protein Bars that have 15 grams of protein in them. shakes are 1g of sugar, 160 calories but 30 grams of protein. Hope you try them and love them. Good luck!

I used Atkins and Premier during the liquid phase but do not use ready to drink at all any longer. My go to shake is Unjury chocolate Splendor. it tastes good to me and it is medical grade Protein that guarantees to be "china free", which can be important if you are concerned about quality of ingredients. I also like Unjury strawberry Sorbet. I usually mix the Chocolate with Chike Iced coffee protein for a great mocha shake or frozen bananas with Torani salted caramel Syrup, or with PB2, Peanut Butter protein.

I also like the Syntrax Nectors Fuzzy Navel and Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey in Rocky Road flavor

post-177958-0-39967300-1410024947_thumb.jpg This one combines Vitamins and Protein and has collagen. I mix it with milk and ice it's great! You buy it at cvs and every month it goes on sale 2 for the price of 1. I take this one because I was having trouble getting my vitamins in.

Edited by alexisny

I like the Premier Protein and also the EAS advantage shakes

I like the Atkins ones too and at 9 mos out I don't worry about the fat. The Syntrax matrix (which is my go to) tastes very similar. Love the vanilla, Choc, mint cookie and Peanut Butter cookie flavors. Got strawberry once on sale and it was okay too but kinda sweet so I mixed it with Choc and liked that.

Personally I can't stand the premier Protein, though I know many love it. Too thick and tastes like plastic to me.

Just goes to show how personal taste is.

I love the GNC total lean 25 and muscle milk. It does the job for me and the flavor :)

Chike Protein is WONDERFUL. I did the Premier Protein shakes prior to surgery and I liked them a lot but once I tried the chike there was no way I could go back to premier protein. I am currently drinking the chocolate and vanilla and I also ordered the Peanut Butter chike powder to add to the choc shake which adds an additional 6 grams of protein to the already 28 grams that are in the shake.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me the good and bad about the nutrition in the new Monster muscle drinks. They are 25 gm Protein. I know the sugar is a little high, but it's not as thick as the premier. They have chocolate vanilla strawberry and Peanut Butter cup. I have tried them all and like it.