Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Initial Consultation Disappointment:(

Hi Everyone,

It's been 3 month of pretty intensive research on surgeons and general information gathering. Finally, I thought I had found "the one!" lol. This Dr. is local, very reputable, and performs single incision which is the route for VSG I am interested in. On paper, he met my full criteria.

But, I was disappointed. First, he walks into the room and made some crack about my weight being suitable....if I was 7ft tall (I am 5'2). Eh, not good. I tried to look past that (made a crack right back like, "yeah, then I could probably model!"..lol) and gave him "foot in mouth" benefit of the doubt. There was just something about him I didn't really care for though. He seemed a little (and really just a tad, I want to paint a fair picture) tired/drain/know-it-allish but at the same time he was informative to be fair. However, he would go off on tangents and knowing how many questions I had, I did my best to get those in. I have been waiting to see him for awhile now (his office called two weeks ago cancelling the first scheduled appointment because he was sick) and had a lot of questions which I had written down. He was getting up and making the motions that it was time to wrap it up (understandable, he does have other patients) and I still had a few questions. I let him know I would make it quick, got to ask 2-3 (one of which was "Do post VSG patients ever talk about being more cold?" He had never heard of this, which was a little strange to me) then he was like "okay, I have go, have another patient but you can make another appointment with me if you have more questions,"and wrapped it up by adding a few key points. Now, I am self-pay and this consultation cost me about 250 bucks. I can't afford to keep going in and seeing him.

Now, he was polite. He did engage, I don't want to paint this Dr. out to be a total jerk. I just would have appreciate a "you can email me," or something. Perhaps that is an unrealistic desire, I am not sure. He made some kind of comment about me having to do more research (to wish I almost wanted to say try 3 months of 3-4 hours a day or even more to the point, I have and the questions I have are directly from that process) and that was irritating. If I am going to have a life altering surgery, why wouldn't I have several questions? He made me feel a little like me questioning him was...I don't know...a little insulting maybe. I just know I left feeling like, time to look some more. Just bummed, blew 250 of some hard earned money and didn't even get real answers to some of my burning questions. Perhaps he didn't even have them, now that I think of it.

Just had to vent to my peeps here and maybe get some of your thoughts.

Wow..sorry for your bad consultation. That has to such especially putting $250 into it. In my personal opinion it is very natural for you to have so many questions especially be a use its you who has to go through all the changes. It doesn't at terms how much research you do before hand you will always have questions and the doctor should expect that. I think it is very inconsiderate of him to rush you like that. I understand he has other patients but every patient should be left feeling some kind of security in their surgeon. In my honest opinion I would seek elsewhere. Especially if you are paying out of pocket you are paying a lot of money and deserve the best care. Good luck on your journey. Wishing you all the best

Thanks beautysleeve559!

I appreciate that. I was in with him for about 30 minutes but I did feel rushed. I do appreciate your feedback greatly!

Trust your instincts and do not give your hard earned money to anything less than the perfect doctor. I have insurance coverage but am still paying some out of pocket costs. My surgeon's consultation was free and it lasted over an hour and he answered every question. And the 8 week skills class they require us to take with the dietitian and psychiatrist was not billed to me or my insurance. You deserve better.

Yeah, he is no charmer.

But here's the deal: What you mainly need in a bariatric surgeon is ... a GREAT bariatric surgeon. By that, I mean someone who has done thousands of these operations in an A-1 hospital where many more thousands of these operations have been done -- who seldom (if ever) has had a surgical complication.

You need her/him to have a crackerjack surgical team -- a head surgical nurse who has been with the surgeon a long time, who works hand-in-glove with the surgeon, who knows where the surgeon is going to cut, pull, stitch.

And you need a strong, experienced anesthesiologist and anesthetist who are skilled and observant at their jobs.

Ideally, you'd also want a surgeon who's also a great physician, a natural healer who has a calling for this work.

And, of course, you would love to have an office operation that ran like a top - bariatric nurse(s), schedulers, physician's assistant, smart nutritionist and exercise consultant.

But more than anything you need a GREAT surgeon who is masterful at doing VSGs safely in ways that result in easy recoveries with no complications.

If this surgeon has that skill and experience set, then he should still be on your short list.

And nothing's stopping you from continuing to shop. And given the big decision you're making, $250 is a very small amount to pay to gather the information you need to make that decision.

Did you find out:

1. How many VSGs this surgeon has done? In what time frame?

2. What's his personal surgical complication rate? His mortality rate?

3. How many WLSs have been done in the hospital where you'll be operated on?

4. What's the MRSA infection incidence (%) at the hospital for surgeries there in the last 3 months?

Those are some of the questions you want to find out answers to.

You shouldn't have to pay $250 for a consultation. People with insurance who have consultations don't pay that so your fee should've been equivalent to a routine office vist, which is around $85 out of pocket, or $30-50 copay. That alone is weird to me.

The questions you have (at least what you mentioned like being cold) is something you can find out through forums like this. Doctors just don't have unlimited amounts of time to see each patient. Patients are scheduled 15-20 minutes apart from each other, so I am shocked that he dedicated 30 minutes to one appointment. In the future, ask the more pertinent questions like how many leaks, infections etc. he has had, and save the other stuff for the hundreds of us that will be glad to help answer for you; or give you a general idea of what to expect.

My best advice is to keep searching. Find another bariatric group that holds free seminars. There you will have an opportunity to ask questions until you are blue in the face and the entire bariatric team will be there, surgeon included. Good luck and I'm sorry that things didn't go as you'd hoped today.

Thanks *Lexie*!!!! Your surgeon sounds awesome. Do you mind sharing who it is?

VSGAnn2014, you make some great points. I had some of those question on my list (and adding now the ones I didn't...really good stuff!) but he left before I could get to any of it. It's true through, while a bedside manner is very important, I really want someone with those surgical chops:) Thank you VSGAnn2014!

BitterSweet* i live in lalaland (L.A.) so I think that they feel more entitled to charge out here. If I had received a 10-15 min consultation at no charge I would have understood more so, but when you shelve out this kind a cash it dings a bit more. You made me think though, maybe I should ask right up front about time limits and post more than I have been. Thank you BitterSweet*! I really appreciate your response:)

No problem. Gather your little (or long! Lol!) list and post specific questions; the pros here will help guide you!

I go by first impression if I don't like the dr I go else where. I was lucky and found mine on first appointment. I have liver disease so I had to choose wisely. But my dr is perfect his staff is awesome and would recommend him. If in north Texas area his name is Dr Provost. Good luck to you.

Sorry you had a mediocre experience with your potential surgeon. You need a rockstar in the OR, no question. Do you believe this guy is that? I'd encourage you to look at the whole picture though. In my experience, 90% of the support you'll receive will come from the surgeon's support staff. Nurses, bariatriac coordinator lead nurse, the folks who will submit your paperwork and keep the doc on track. How was your overall experience? Are there support groups available through his office? You'll spend a few hours with the surgeon and you'll be asleep, followed by a few quick follow up appointments. You WANT a good experience with him, but you NEED a great experience with the rest of the staff as they are the folks who will help support you long term.

I was VERY lucky to get the whole package on my first consult. A rockstar in the OR who is beloved by his staff as well as his patients and who has surrounded himself with a great support staff, (because he is most definitely not a paperwork detail guy)!

BitterSweet* i live in lalaland (L.A.) so I think that they feel more entitled to charge out here. If I had received a 10-15 min consultation at no charge I would have understood more so, but when you shelve out this kind a cash it dings a bit more. You made me think though, maybe I should ask right up front about time limits and post more than I have been. Thank you BitterSweet*! I really appreciate your response:)

You seem to have done your homework enough to know that this doc is the one you wanted to consult with. Before you moved on , I think I would call the office and ask to speak to the nutrianalist on staff. A. they can probably answer at least some of your questions, and B. give you more of an impression or idea of the whole approach of the staff as a team. You may find out that the rest of the staff hint that he doesn't have the greatest personality but is an A-1 doc. , just a thought

I had a horrible consultation with the first doctor. I have insurance but I'm not working because of my morbidities so even that 50.00 stings. I had my knees done in Louisville and really liked the hospital so I found out if they had a bariatric unit and they did. They had a free seminar that my doctor actually led. I asked him every question I needed and we were there for over an hour and half. It was also great because there were others there who asked questions I didn't think of. My doctor s ofc took care of everything from my psyche eval to blood work to the NUT as well as my endoscopy. He even stopped in tosay hi and ask if I had any questions during my orientation. The only thing I have to do is get the referral from my pcp and finish the insurances 90 day mandatory supervised diet. It doesn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes and has a wonderful attitude either. ;)

Edited by kyrickchick64

I'm also in lalaland....I had my sleeve with Dr Cuneen at Cedars-Sinai and I'm very happy with the whole process. They might seem expensive for self pay, but they have good cash rates. I had insurance.

Before you see the doctor, you go thru a free seminar where they go over the program, surgeries, and answer any questions you might have.

Edited by jcal8

Wow that is terrible... I spent an hour and a half with my surgeon first time .and she gave me her cell phone number if I needed to call her ever. She has two small children and a husband who is also a doctor so ism sure quite busy . I was sleeved on August 27 and she has called me personally herself to check on me. You have to be comfortable with your surgeon... Period .. End of story. I would have never even stayed as long as you did. Keep looking. Alyce