Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just called Aetna...APPROVED!!!

I started the 10 day liquid diet today. Surgery next Thursday the 13th.

Yay! I've been following your story, I'm so glad you're approved. Good luck in your journey. I'm going in 12 hours!! Yahoo!

Shelly

@@kikicoates78

Exactly! I don't get why some were approved and some not.

@@shellbell79

Thanks so much! Good luck to you also!

I was just approved today...excited and nervous at the same time. I have a dr. App. Tomorrow to speak with my dr. and schedule my surgery ????

Now I'm scared! At my first weigh in they explained to me that if I gained even 1 pound the insurance would deny me and i would have to start the 4 month process all over again. I am trying to eat right and drink lots of Water like they have told me to do but i i got on the scale 2 days before 2nd weigh in and it said i gained 2 pounds! I had to take water pills for 2 days before my appointment so that when i weighed in it said i lost 4 pounds! It's crazy i have become obsessed i know its all water weight because 2 days later my weight was back up 2 pounds. I have 2 more weigh ins and I'm afraid I won't make it. On top of everything else I'm an insulin diabetic on hospital grade concerated insulin that causes massive weight gain and they won't take thatinto cconsideration.

Marlowe, I understand completely! My last weigh-in with Aetna is on Tuesday and I just can't seem to lose anything this month. On top of that, I see my endocrinologist on Monday and he's threatening to put me on insulin as I'm starting to have bad reactions to my diabetes meds. The final catalyst that started me down the WLS path was when he told me that I would gain weight on insulin. He's 100% supportive of my having RNY because of this.

You will gain weight on insulin! When i was put on insulini went from 274 (which i had been for 9 years before insulin) to 300 after insulin held there for 2 years then was placed on humilin R U -500 which is $1275.00 a bottle (hospital grade) and my weight has sky rocketed up to 333 until they increased it again another extra 35 units daily this past july and now I'm holding at 337. They need to understand i can't help it but my sugars are now awesome nearly perfect shouldn't that be of more concern? At least now I know I will be able to heal from the surgery. Always seems to be a catch 22

I am so upset right now. I was looking at October 14th as my surgery day. All I was waiting for was final approval from my insurance company. I received the call today saying that I was denied. My insurance company required 6 months of nutritional visits. Back in March, I gained 2 lbs but then steadily after that lost 19 lbs. But because of the 2 lbs that I had gained 6 months ago, they denied me. I wanted this so bad. I needed this so bad. :(

I think they denied you because you hadn't done the 6 months of nutritional meeting alone, I don't think it had nothing to do with gaining 2 lbs. That would make no sense, maybe once you've completed the 6 months of meetings it will be a different outcome. I mean people gain weight all the time I hardly doubt the 2lb weight gain played a factor in their decision

I think they denied you because you hadn't done the 6 months of nutritional meeting alone, I don't think it had nothing to do with gaining 2 lbs. That would make no sense, maybe once you've completed the 6 months of meetings it will be a different outcome. I mean people gain weight all the time I hardly doubt the 2lb weight gain played a factor in their decision

No it doesn't make one bit of since. but it is true. I have the letter from the insurance company stating that I was denied for gaining the 2 lbs. But I am happy to say that they approved the second time around because I had not gained any weight and I am having my surgery on Tuesday. Best of luck to you :rolleyes:

You will gain weight on insulin! When i was put on insulini went from 274 (which i had been for 9 years before insulin) to 300 after insulin held there for 2 years then was placed on humilin R U -500 which is $1275.00 a bottle (hospital grade) and my weight has sky rocketed up to 333 until they increased it again another extra 35 units daily this past july and now I'm holding at 337. They need to understand i can't help it but my sugars are now awesome nearly perfect shouldn't that be of more concern? At least now I know I will be able to heal from the surgery. Always seems to be a catch 22

I just thought I'd let you know that I think that at least the insulin issue is not on the table any more. I had pre-appointment labs done and my A1C was 5.7! At least all this dieting for the last six months has accomplished something!

I have Aetna and am waiting on approval. I am nervous as all get out now. I have high blood pressure and had a TIA in March of this year. I hope this will get me approved. Thoughts ?

@@dwachel

May I ask what's your bmi? According to my Aetna paperwork. You need bmi of 35 with co-morbidities or 40 with no co-morbidities. Not sure what a TIA is?

My BMI is 40.7. I have co-morbidities of high blood pressure and cholesterol. A TIA is a mini stroke.

Did you do a 3 month or 6 month program? Do you have a surgery date scheduled?

No it doesn't make one bit of since. but it is true. I have the letter from the insurance company stating that I was denied for gaining the 2 lbs. But I am happy to say that they approved the second time around because I had not gained any weight and I am having my surgery on Tuesday. Best of luck to you :rolleyes:

Oh wow I am so happy to hear you got approved, after all. Wow and your surgery is Tuesday that is quick, well I wish you a safe surgery, and a speedy recovery. I will let you know when I hear something from my insurance company :D