Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curiosity question on Diets after gastric sleeve

I always viewed the diet recommended as a guideline. In general, the less carbs the better chances of long-term success.

I DO find if I eat/drink carbs the hunger hits me more.

I do find that getting my 100-130g Protein keeps me satiated. If I choose to have alcohol or higher carbs I am dealing with the smack in my head calling me to want to eat more. The best is to find YOUR carb limit YOU can live with.

I knew going in that if I restricted everything this would fail for me. It is a rare day my net carbs go over 100.

I wish you health and happiness and hope you find what works for you for life. This is not a quick fix but merely a tool, a very powerful tool, but still, just a tool to help.

Thank you all for your responses. I do appreciate everyone taking time to reply. I find it all interesting to see the differences between all. How much has everyone lost following there "diet" "program" , etc?

I've lost a total of 96 pounds so far and well in the "normal" BMI range. I passed my surgeon's goal at 6 1/2 months. Passed my personal goal at 7 1/2 months. At 8 1/2 months I'm still losing at a rate of about 2 pounds/month. Like I said in a previous post, I chose to not track and measure my food. I simply eat balanced, healthy meals, focusing on Protein. I did limit, but not eliminate carbs. I've added fruit to my Protein smoothies, and had occasional crackers, bread, dessert and alcohol since about 3 months out. As I got within 5 pounds of surgeon' goal, I added in even more fruit, whole grains and fats, and have continued to lose (20 pounds since upping my carbs and fat). I guess I'm officially in maintenance, but haven't really changed what I'm doing because I'm comfortable with what and how much I eat.

But I totally agree with bearman99....you just need to find what works for you for the rest of your life. There are dozens of ways to make this work.....whether it's tracking and measuring or not, or going to the gym everyday or not. Postop life is all about choices, so you can choose whatever path works for you.

IDK what diet to tell you to follow. Closer out from surgery is very different IMO than whenever you are further out. And for me, it depends on what my goals are now.

I wanted to decrease body fat and build muscle..and I've watched my caloric intake via myfitnesspal very closely for the past 2.5 years. I now follow a 40 Protein / 40 carb / 20 fat diet and try not to exceed my RMR calories a day. Anything above the RMR calories is converted into fat - it's simply too many calories in, not enough burned. That's different close out from surgery.

I would say overall, focus on (lean) Protein and Water. The focus should be to make this a healthy lifestyle, not just a diet (where we think of the term diet as a fix to our weight issues that is). So fish (& shrimp), bison, turkey, chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, then the rest added in small amounts. And refined/processed foods in moderation. Moderation might mean 2 or 3 times a week, depends how you are moving towards your goals.

There are way too many plans to try to follow to accomplish this. I say experiment (this site is huge on the 5:2/IF, but also IIFYM, high fat/low carb, etc.). Figure out which one is best for you. It's not one best for all.

Good luck!

Thank you all again for your responses. I was just curious on how many lost with eating carbs. There are so many that are anti carb on this site. I was just looking to see if adding carb stopped the weight loss, or slowed the weight loss. I am following what my NUT has suggested for me. I believe that I am doing well. From my highest weight I am down 63lbs. I was sleeved on July 1st and most of the loss was after the sleeve. She believes in having low carbs in the diet for the energy you need to exercise. I am just veery picky on what carbs I choose. Thank you for all the positive thoughts you all have sent. I hope that people still send their thoughts on this subject as it has been very interesting to read. Congrats to all on your journey!

I agree with so many people on this thread that have already stated that you have to find an eating lifestyle that works for you. Everyone's goal is different. Personally, I've found a new addiction: exercising with cardio and weights. With that addition my goal has morphed from losing weight and becoming a normal and healthy weight, to being fit and lean with a higher muscle mass content. I don't count calories anymore, but I do keep track of my Protein since it's vital to muscle growth and recovery. I make sure I get in at least 64 oz of Water. I also make it a point to get down some quality carbs to ensure that I have the energy I need to make it through my workout sessions.

However, no matter what, I truly believe that the sleeve (or whatever WLS one chooses) gives us QUANTITY control, but we have to choose QUALITY. I'm not saying don't ever enjoy a cookie, slice of cake, or any other "bad" food out there--because I do--but we have to make good QUALITY decisions 90% of the time. Our bodies, mind and overall health is so much better off for it. I've found that I no longer crave a lot of the "bad" stuff. In fact, when I allow myself the freedom of having a little bit, it often makes me feel sick or leads me to the other end of the spectrum, and it makes me feel hungrier.

There's my two cents! Lol!

Good luck to you! I hope you find what works for you on your journey!

I am careful with what I eat and I track everything but I would never call it a diet. The tracking is for my information only and helps me stay focused and grounded. I did stop tracking for a week when I went on vacation and I maintained/lost a tiny bit that week.

I know people who have done really well limiting themselves and being incredibly strict and focused, and people who have done well with some of the above responses (I eat whatever I want, just less) and I don't think anyone can judge from the outside which approach will work. I have taken a moderate approach. I don't call anything off limits unless it makes me feel physically ill. I exercise hard, about 3 or 4 times a week. I lose a little more slowly than some but (despite my ticker, which I can't seem to change) I am about 13 pounds from my personal goal at 10 months out. I actually adjusted my official calorie count up recently with the aim of not eating back my calories when I work out. In other words, just calling it 1300-1400 calories rather than having my goal as 1200 calories and eating more the day of or after exercise. Strangely that has taken some pressure off. I have yet to eat up to the new amount. Who knows? I think I do better mentally with just a bit of slack, but that's me.

I eat carbs and still lose weight - I eat ice cream every once and a while and do fine.

Thank you for reminding me why I am doing this program. A wonderful learning process. It is so rewarding to eat healthy and hug the rewards.

I am not on a diet. I am on a program that is to last me the rest of my life. I failed miserably at diets and so I don't do them anymore.

I eat everything. Just not so much. I eat the same food my husband does but eat it in this order. Protein first, veggies, fruit and then carbs.

If I am going to eat carbs I make sure the are a complex carb so that I get the best value. I have never counted calories. But have tried to make sure I drank my Water. Took my Vitamins and got 60-80 gm of Protein in a day.

I eat like a skinny person and plan to continue that way.

My nut said that we live in the real world and that we better learn how to eat in that world as well. I have taken her advice and run with it. If I want a cookie I eat one. Not the box. That is the difference. :)

RJ, you couldn't be more right. I have a wonderful NUT and Counselor who are supporting me and working though the process of intuitive eating, and I feel ver strong in this path!

Well said!

The program through my docs office says no bread, tortillas, rice, crackers, Pasta etc for the first 6 months out from surgery. I am two months out and following those recommendations.

I think it's wise to follow the instructions, especially in the first few months. The trick is to find the right combination that works for you. I have a friend who swears that when she moves away from less than 800 calories and more than 40-50 grams of carbs she gains weight. She reached her goal very quickly. She also gets very hungry. She never works out, either. My own personal experience is that when I'm very hungry, I'm on edge and miserable. So my approach is more moderate. And after the first 6-8 months everyone has to figure out what works for them. I spent months 3-6 figuring out which dense Proteins I could eat (all, really) and reincorporating things like salads and berries. Now at 10 months out I have a much more balanced and intuitive approach. If I really want a yogurt, for example, I just track the carbs and go for it. I let my body dictate that it wants more carbs after a heavy workout day. And I try really hard to stop when I am done. But also to realize that this is just one choice and one day at a time.

Eat your Protein first, then veggies, then fruit and if you are still hungry, don't know how, go for the carbs. That has been my way of life for the last year. I will allow myself a whole wheat Pasta with turkey meatballs every two weeks. I also eat the individual a sabra Humus that comes with pretzels at 120 calories from time to time.

I wouldn't worry about doing that especially if you exercise regularly.

my rules are simple

get in minimum 65g of Protein (it's hard to do first weeks but 18 months later I get 90-100g)

Keep added sugar carbs at less than 30g. so if it's fruit or milk sugar I don't count it.

in the first 6 months I avoided fruit, bread, grains etc

I have never counted carbs except for sugar carbs.

so I was on a zone like 30-30-40 diet mostly. it was smart carb not low carb.