Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The ol' straw debate. Do you use one?

So im a few days post op and am having a hard time getting all my fluids in. Before the sleeve, I basically ONLY drank from a straw. I have a million reusable cups with straws in my house and always used to drink tons of liquids. Now, im struggling to get 24 oz of Water in!

So, Im wondering if I should try using a straw and see if it helps. But Im afraid its going to give me gas and therefor hurt! I dont want anymore pain! lol

So, if you use a straw, when did you cave and try it? Should I just go for it or be a good patient and not use it?

I tried a straw at about 2 1/2 wks out after reading on here that someone had used a straw from day one. I had no problem at all when I tried it. We were warned in our Options classes that using a straw was a no no because of swallowing air but I have trouble with that when I drink normally but not with a straw.

I don't believe you can do any damage using a straw. The worst is that you may feel some discomfort which would be a sign not to use one.

I'm sure some others on here will have some helpful input for you. :)

I think it would be important to know why they don't want you to use a straw? My doc had no such restriction and it sure does help get that Fluid down!

I use a straw with no issue. I read on here not to use one, and didn't for awhile, but it is much easier to get your Water in and like I said I've had no issue. My doc never said not to, btw

I'm 2-weeks post-op, and I used a straw once and had no issues afterward. I didn't intend to use a straw, but I was trying to keep juice from a Water ice from spilling in my car. It was two sips from the straw. I didn't fill my new stomach with unnecessary air and I didn't die. :D

In the hospital before I left, I was given this "jug o' water" (okay, maybe it wasn't a jug.. it was this plastic thing with a lid and a handle). It had a straw in it. I had to drink it in order to prove I was ready to go home. My nut said some people do better with them, some people do worse with them. Try using one to see. If it gives you gas, stop. If not, use the straw.

My Doc & Nut said no straw... I use to be a straw person - and got just got use to not using one since i wasnt "allowed" per them. (Straws also cause lip lines LOL)

I wonder if I'm having an issue with Water because I'm not using a straw?? I was also told no straw because of air. But I seem to be swallowing a ton of air when I drink water and then it hurts. So I tend not to drink it now which is not good because I'm getting dehydrated. I barely get in 12 to 16 oz of water. So frustrating!

ok, well I bit the bullet and just used a straw and i'm already drinking more Water and it doesnt feel any different!

I am 5 days post op and actually feeling great.. I was also told not to use a straw, but a good friend of mine that had gastric bypass( i was sleeved) said using a straw helped a lot to get the fluids down. I tried not to use one the first day i got home, but it was so difficult getting the Fluid down that i tried a straw the next day and it made all the sifference for me.. I was careful not to swallow air at the same time. I know how no trouble with fluids at all...

I was told it's fine to use a straw except at the bottom of the glass . Don't suck when all of your drink is gone, that's where you get the air in your stomach!

I use a straw sometimes (against my doctors orders) but if I drink too fast my stomach gets full of air and makes me very uncomfortable. No fun :-(

My dr never said anything about a straw and the nurses gave me one with my Water so I figured that meant it was ok to use.

I was handed a juice box 2 days post-op and though I don't usually use a straw, I have no problem doing so. I tend to drink really fast with a straw and suck down too much air, just like I did pre-op ;)