Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this has been covered so I apologize if I should be searching for it more thoroughly. But I am getting closer to deciding to have WLS – I’ve done so much research and watched endless YouTube videos from folks who have been successful and those who have had complications. Two things worry me the most about having the surgery:

First, I was feeling a bit worried about the depression after surgery. After so many years dealing with my emotions through food I think it will be a tough change for me and I will need to learn better coping skills. I’ve talked about this a lot with my therapist and she agrees and is excited for me to do something that will finally help me to cope in a different way. She says that she feels that I actually handle change well and that she and I can work through this obstacle.

Second, and maybe even more worrisome is the sagging skin issue. I weight 231 and I’m 5’4”. I’m 44 years old. Up until 2012 I weighed 190 -200 pounds. But I know that if I lose 80 or 100 pounds sagging skin will be a real concern for me. I’m wondering if everyone has suffered with it and how big of an issue it is for you?

The reasons I want to do this are really NOT vain – well maybe a little vain – but for the most part I have arthritis in my left ankle that literally brings me non-stop pain and I can’t walk well at all. I suffer from Atrial Fibrillation which I think is caused by my higher weight. I hate how I feel. And I do hate how I look. I know my problems won’t go away with WLS, but I think I’ll be on the road to a healthier lifestyle.

Am I being so totally shallow by feeling discouraged by the sagging skin issue? How have others dealt with it? Is it really that bad?

Edited by gabrielle2014

@@gabrielle2014 I have to tell that having WLS is the BEST thing I have ever done for myself. Not only do I look so much better, but I feel amazing, and I'm not even at goal yet! I did not have the same health issues as you, i.e. arthritis---however I was lugging around so much weight that I just felt terrible. I live in NYC and taking the subway stairs was a big problem for me. I felt as though I was having a heart attack all the time. I no longer feel that way. As of this weekend I am down 102lbs! I'm also in my 40's (42) and truth be told, I have sagging skin, and it's ugly. However, I have made the choice that I will have corrective surgery. It will be painful and likely expensive (if my ins doesn't pay) but it will be another part of my WL journey. If you think that your weight is hindering your health, and traditional weight loss methods have not worked, then I think WLS is right choice for you. You can deal with the skin issue afterwards.

Regarding depression, I didn't have a whole of lot that after surgery. Some, but not too much. Dealing with not being able to eat as much, is harder than I thought. But so far, so good. Keep in mind that everyone is different.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. :-)

Edited by LessofApril

Face it, this is a huge change. You will experience problems until you come to grips with not being able to eat like you use to. I feel live support groups are the best way to help deal with theses issues. I have found at 10 weeks post Op that I have gotten past the worst of the mental issues and am enjoying the complements I get on a daily basis. My ego is out of control. Lose skin is going to happen , but thats a bridge I will cross once I lose the weight. At this point in your journey, get through your surgery and drink lots and lots of Water. In a couple of months you'll be wondering why you didnt do this sooner.

Having surgery was one of the best gifts I ever gave myself.

I have sagging skin and to tell the truth it really doesn't matter to me because I am so much healthier then I've every been and I look great in clothes.

Granted I don't wear short sleeves but I also have a very large scar from arm and shoulder surgery that I don't want to be seen so that's the reason I don't wear short sleeves.

I have found when I wear a more fitted dress for example I wear Spanx to help give me a smoother look.

Have the surgery you won't regret it and you can always fix the skin part at a later date if you want.

Being healthy is so much more important then the vanity aspect. Don't get me wrong looking good is important too but it's secondary to being healthy.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

It sounds like you are on the right track in terms of preparing for and dealing with issues regarding the loss of food as a coping mechanism. Honestly, I think you are ahead of the game there.

With respect to sagging skin - I have a ton of it, and I'm okay with it. The cold hard truth is that even with sagging skin, I'm a lot more attractive than I was when I was morbidly obese. More importantly, I'm a lot more healthy both physically and emotionally. I don't worry about fitting into airplane seats or restaurant booths. I don't feel like people are staring and judging wherever I go. For me, the emotional toll of being a morbidly obese person in our society was huge, and I am now free from that. I will take all the sagging skin in the world in exchange for my physical and emotional health.

All of that said - you can really only see sagging skin if you are both naked (or very skimpily dressed) and standing upright. How often does someone see you like that? I don't like skimpy clothes anyway. The only people who see me naked are lovers and health care professionals, and if they can't deal with it, I don't need them in my life. I love my new body and am proud of it, sagging skin and all!

I think I would rather have some loose skin then have to deal with the side affects of obesity (such as type 2 diabetes and hypertension, etc).

Good luck with your decision.

I also worried about loose skin before my RNY but i'm so glad it didn't stop me from having surgery.

Each person is different but so far, I really don't have a lot of loose skin.

What I did: 2 1/2 months prior to surgery date, I was really hitting the gym and working on strength training (weights) - CONSISTENTLY. I wanted to minimize loose skin as much as I could.... That was huge since you're not allowed to workout w/weights until cleared by your Dr after surgery which could be 4-6 wks after surgery.

Either way, I've learned that good undergarments (like Spanx, Maidenform) is essential and staple of my wardrobe

I'm now starting to notice loose skin on inner thighs and on my arms & back. But let's be real... I'd rather have that loose skin (that i'm working on w/strength training ) than my old body that was morbidly obese w/ health issues.

Good luck to you.

I am 59 and sadly I do have a little bit of sagging skin. My stomach is not attractive in any shape form or fashion. But... the fat was not attractive either. At some point in time I plan to have a Tummy Tuck. Till then, I'm enjoying wearing smaller sizes and being able to live like a normal person. WLS is the best thing I have ever done.... bar none.

Picture yourself thin with the worst baggy skin you can imagine. Then look at your obese body now. (I mean that in the most loving way.) Which one wins? For me it's a no-brainer.

At your age, here are your two options:

1. Lose weight (through WLS, starvation dieting, or your fairy godmother appears and grants your fondest wish) and have some loose skin.

2. Don't lose weight and keep everything fluffy. Oh ... and keep your current comorbidities and get ready for some more. Oh ... and expect to gain more weight.

At your age, you don't get a third option (lose 80-100 lbs without any loose skin).

Edited by VSGAnn2014

At your age, here are your two options: 1. Lose weight (through WLS, starvation dieting, or your fairy godmother appears and grants your fondest wish) and have some loose skin.

I do Like you Ann!

I hate the loose skin but you can cover much of it up and with good foundation garments, no one is the wiser. I'm considering cosmetic surgery but it's a couple of years away at least. My life is so much better now...I too am in NYC and was nearly unable to walk because my arthritis was so bad. New York is not a good place when you can't put one foot in front of the other. I can now walk anywhere and can take any type of public transportation, which is vital. I have my life back and that beats the loose skin any day.

Thanks everyone - that is DEF what I need to hear to stop being so ridiculous! LOL! THANK YOU!

I don't think you're being ridiculous. This has been a fear of mine, as well. I haven't had surgery yet - but I'm finally to the point where all my concerns (including loose skin) are just not as important as the possibility of being healthy and in less pain.

I'm really glad you posted it - it was so nice to read all the responses from people who have lost a lot of weight, have loose skin and are okay with it!

I'm still actively losing. But as a person who has gone from 335 at my highest to 240 currently, I have loose skin, especially on my thighs and on my sides by my boobs. Also some in the upper arms. It doesn't bother me that much. I thought it would bug me more in fact. How much of my day is spent naked? 15 minutes in the shower and maybe another 30 minutes if my husband decides to have his way with me. LOL. That's 45 minutes of active naked time and of that 45 minutes, if I am thinking about my skin during naked time with hubs, I'm doing it wrong. Besides, this is a man who married me when I was fat and was still into me.

You can't control how other people react to you, you can only control you. So if you are okay with you, the other people around you will most likely be okay with you as well.