Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travelling after vsg?

How far out did your doctor ok travelling?

I am going to have surgery on 9/22 and I usually travel to vegas for my nephews bday in mid october

I flew from San Diego to Salt Lake City day 3 postop. Then drove myself home 5 hours in a snow storm on day 4. Back to work day 7 where I'm on the road all day.

Thanks for the info Kindle.

I flew from Seattle, WA to Winston/Salem, North Carolina on day 28. I had lost about 30lbs at that time. Not only was it easier getting through the airport, but the seat and seat belt fit better. I didn't have to ask for a seat belt extender! The meal tray didn't rest on my belly and I didn't encroach on my row mates seat! I was a little nervous about how I was going to eat and get my Protein in as I was travelling for business with a team of people. But my teammates were great, always asking me if the restaurant was ok, I brought a selection of single serve Protein shakes mixes, the flavors that mix with Water and a couple of shaker cups and a few bars too. It was my first week on solid foods and I did great! No embarrassing moments, and I lost a few lbs for the week when a trip like that used to put a few on.

I actually bought one of those snack boxes on the airplane - it had crackers, hummus, olive spread, nuts and a few other pretty healthy items. I ate what I could on the ride out, saved some for during the week, still had some for the ride home and today 1.5 months later there is still the little bag of Cookies - it is only 100 calories and made with healthy ingredients but I jsut can't eat a cookie... Before I would have eaten the entire box and wanted another one for the ride home...

Your sleeve really is a tool that can be relied on, once you get used to it and your new normal. Go have fun!

Edited by SnohoGal98296

How far out did your doctor ok travelling? I am going to have surgery on 9/22 and I usually travel to vegas for my nephews bday in mid october

Hi my husband and I both flew from Australia to Singapore 2 weeks after we had our surgery. We did have to take blood thinners and wear compression socks. Along with drinking lots of Water and getting up and walking around the plane. I suggest you make your Dr aware that you need to fly on that date and work out the best strategy that will work for you. Good Luck

I am 7 wks out..last wk me an the gfs flew to myrtle. ..it wasn't bad eating out. We went where I could eat fish or Soups. Soft broccoli. .etc..I bought a few groceries had my premier drinks, took my chike powder an blender cup. Made some turkey lunchmeat rolls with ww cream cheese took plenty of Water. Did good. Lost 2 more pds...I'm going down about 2 to 3 pds a wk...some times more. But did great away from home!

I think compression socks and getting up and walking up or down the aisle frequently will be adequate. Ask your doc if you need blood thinners, too. I imagine if those who go to Mexico can fly relatively soon after surgery, you'll be okay. I had my sleeve done on 8/4 but won't be traveling until Thanksgiving, so fortunately I have a little extra time to get past the critical blood clot risk stage. Definitely check with doc though!

I had my surgery in Mexico, and I flew home four days later with no problems. I walked up and down the terminal until the plane boarded, and we upgraded to bulkhead seats so I'd have more room to shift my legs around, and I got up once to walk to the bathroom. It was a 3 1/2 hour flight.

I was really worried about it, but it was totally fine. Honestly, the worst part of the trip was the shuttle rude back to the car park. The driver was driving the shuttle like he stole it, and I swear he hit every curb, pothole, and piece of construction debris between the airport and our car. My poor stitches! :o

I had my surgery Thursday evening in TJ and flew home to Canada on Sunday afternoon. Total air/airport travel time was like 8 hours plus another 1-1/2 hour drive from the airport the my home town. I was totally fine the entire day, no pain, no pain meds, just tired but other than that it was fine. Honestly the worst thing for me was that I had a very bad stomach so couldn't drink anything all day because I was petrified I'd have an accident on the plane....that was painful having to only take a tiny sip to wet my mouth all day! lol!

I returned to work full time on Tuesday morning. I healed really fast and barely had any issues whatsoever (super lucky) and so transitioning back to work was easy. I brought a heating pad with me to work and used it for an hour or so for the first 2 days if I got 'tender' but that was it. No one even questioned it, if anyone asked I just said I had an upset stomach.

I had my surgery on 9/12/13 and traveled from PA to TX for work on 10/1/13. My doctor was fine with it and I didn't have any problems at all. Just had to be a little more creative when planning meals out, etc.