Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How was it when you came home after your surgery? What to expect?

Everyone is going to be different, but here's my experience....

I had my surgery at OCC in Tijuana. I was discharged about 9am day after surgery and went back to the Marriott. My sister and I walked to the Walmart plaza (about 1 mile round trip) so she could get her Starbucks. Went back to the hotel, took a nap, watched some TV and then walked to Walmart again so I could pick up some herbal tea bags and a couple Protein drinks at the GNC store. Then back to the hotel where we rented a movie before going to bed.

Second day...went back to OCC for a recheck and then had the driver take us to the Avenude Revolucion shopping area and walked around there a couple hours...found the worlds most delicious hibiscus Popsicles! Then back to the hotel for a nap and walked some more, just around the hotel.

Third day...back To OCC for drain removal and flouroscopy leak test. We were then shuttled back to San Diego where I walked the halls of the airport until my flight back to Utah. The weather was super crappy roads were icy, so a I stayed in a hotel that night rather than drive home.

Day four....went grocery shopping and drove the 5 hours back home to Idaho. Had to plow my driveway when a I got home and then collapsed on the couch. Spent the next 2 days lounging at home before going back to work day 7.

Basically, I had no pain or real restrictions. Just got tired easily and spent every waking moment trying to get in my fluids. Hope you have an easy recovery, too.

That is an awesome story!

When I got home after a two day stay in the hospital, counting the surgery day, I really did not know what to do. I began to try to get in my liquids and Protein with my wife telling me what the instructions said. Slept a lot. Got my days and nights all mixed up but didn't care. Wasn't going anywhere anyway. :)

Straight liquids all the way for the first two weeks. I felt weak and no stamina at all. Two weeks out I got dehydrated and my blood pressure got real low. Looking back I believe that is where the weakness came from. Went to check in with my primary doc and got real dizzy and they put me on an iv and got me straightened out. Been pretty careful ever since.

No pain at all during this time until I got constipated at week three. Horribly painful but finally got past that with a little help. Be very careful because this is no joke. Seems to be a common problem.

Four weeks out and feel pretty good. Only down 20 lbs since the surgery but from what I read on these forums, that is normal.

Lots of diluted Crystal Light, popsicles, Better Than Bullion broth (low sodium). Creamed Soups. Premier chocolate Protein shakes.

I was told i had to sip, sip, sip but i accidentally picked up my glass of crystal light on night and took two big swallows without thinking and had no discomfort at all. The thicker stuff causes me discomfort if I take it in too much or too fast.

Some of the instructions I received when I was discharged listed what i should be eating/drinking in the first few weeks and also said "as tolerated" which I have found to mean, to me, take it slow and adjust to what is comfortable. I can definitely tell when i am close to full and I try to avaoid that feeling.

Edited by mick

Like mick said, getting your fluids in should be #1 priority....dehydration will wipe you out. I got a Clostridial infection 6 weeks out and the diarrhea sent me to the clinic for IV fluids 3 times...the second time they tried to admit me because my BP was crazy low. Took 3 liters before my BP came back up and they let me go home. Took another liter of G2 before I finally peed.

Oh yeah, and anesthesia and pain meds will slow your GI tract, often resulting in Constipation. I took Miralax everyday after surgery and it still took 5 days before I had a BM.

I spent one night in the hospital after surgery. I couldn't sleep in bed, so slept in the chair. Walked around the hospital ward a few times and had some fluids. Once I got home, I had trouble. I still couldn't lay down and spent the next 3 weeks either sleeping in the recliner or sleeping in the spare bed propped up with about 5 pillows. I had problems with nausea, even though I was on anti-nausea meds. I was maybe drinking 6-8 oz of Water a day. I tried several Protein pre-mixed drinks and powders and my Tiny tummy didn't like them. I had no energy, my vision was blurry. I knew I was in trouble. I had my husband go get me gatorade and banana popsicles. The banana popsicles are what saved me. I was only able to eat 1/2 a one every hour, but it helped. I also stopped taking the anti-nausea meds and pain meds. I still had lots of pain, but used tylenol. I also found that V-8 juice helped me and Tiny tummy liked it. I am almost 7 weeks post op and drink 64 oz Water most days and eat about 700 calories a day. I try to keep my Protein intake above 60 gms a day. It was a rough first 3 weeks, but very happy I got sleeved.

I was sleeved on 8/20 and was discharged from the hospital on 8/22. The worst part for me of the whole procedure has been the gas pain. sleeping in the hospital was hard for me because everyone kept checking on me! (Good, I know, but annoying at 4 am).

Gosh, the answers are so different. Less than 24 hours in the hospital, one dose of pain med at home, at the grocery 2 days later (drove myself), shopped at the mall 5 days later. No nausea, just high on happiness but rested anyway. Never in 9 months have my husband and I had a problem with the sleeve. We are 68/67 years old, and down 100 lbs and 60 lbs. You will get tired of the liquids, the mush, the shakes, whatever....but we all did it and you will too. Just become an expert on your health and nutrition, and never ask someone here what should you do if you have a medical problem. Trust your gut instinct and call that surgeon! My best wishes to you! Linda

I would say that on a physical level, recovery for me was pretty good.. I didn't have a lot of pain, not really any complications, etc. I was really tired the first few weeks, but was able to go back to work after 2 weeks off. What I will say that I was not expecting was how difficult it was emotionally right after the surgery. I wish I would have been more prepared for that part of it. Changing my eating habits and slowly progressing through the liquid diet back up to regular food was tough emotionally for me. A big adjustment. I kind of went through the stages of grief at the loss of my coping mechanism - food! With that being said, I wouldn't change it for the world..... Good luck!

I would say that on a physical level, recovery for me was pretty good.. I didn't have a lot of pain, not really any complications, etc. I was really tired the first few weeks, but was able to go back to work after 2 weeks off. What I will say that I was not expecting was how difficult it was emotionally right after the surgery. I wish I would have been more prepared for that part of it. Changing my eating habits and slowly progressing through the liquid diet back up to regular food was tough emotionally for me. A big adjustment. I kind of went through the stages of grief at the loss of my coping mechanism - food! With that being said, I wouldn't change it for the world..... Good luck!

I too would say I was in a mourning stage I started to regret it so badly then my husband started saying u r looking thinner then of course that motivated me, but I am not gonna say it's easy u have to take the bull by the horn and go for the ride. Hang on I keep telling myself it will b worth it.