Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:sick I was banded on Monday and threw up on Tuesday night. I have had constant hicups and have been sleeping alot. Only my port incision hurts but I can't keep anything down. Water is okay but i'm not drinking the 60oz, My husband has the band on April the 9th so he is not about 3 weeks out and really didn't have any of the same problems. I am only eating watery smashed potatoes, Jello, jello pudding, water, Decaf tea, and broth. any suggestions??

If you are taking Rx pain meds that is the likely culprit. Call your doctor.

I'm going to ask for a little clarification. Are you actually throwing up, as in stomach acid and undigested food is coming out... or are you bringing up saliva and maybe some food? Do you have the vomit taste in your mouth afterwards, or not really any taste at all? There's a big difference in what's happening between these two situations, so it's important for us to understand what's really going on before we can offer advice or information.

try taking some anacids with your pain meds. And if you happen to have hydroxezine, take that with them as well.

Well tuesday when i threw up it was just bile. and then when i threw up yesterday it was just really like the action of throwing up nothing came out. I'm just really worried about slipping the band.

Probably (can't say for sure) what you threw up wasn't bile but thick saliva. The saliva can even be discolored if you've eaten something, taken medication, etc. The two are very often mistaken for each other.

As for the other time, sounds like you were just dry heaving.Both situations sound to me like something got stuck. This can be a function of restriction, eating too fast, eating too much, not chewing well enough, etc. In your case it could be a combination of all of the above (well, maybe not the chewing, but the drinking).

More than a few times I've been to the point where I have to bring up stuck food, but only wretch/dry heave. The pain increases for a while, then eventually subsides, and nothing ever does come up. It's like the internal spasms driving the dry heaves are enough to push the blockage through.

What's your post-op diet??

Your surgeon should have specified foods that were ok for you to eat. A lot of what you described are considered "mushies" which normally ARE NOT ok the day after surgery. Plans vary by surgeon but mine was liquids for two full days post-op (meaning 48 hours form my release, not just two sunrises), then thick liquids such as "cream of" Soups and yogurt for four days, then very soft/moise mushies for a few days, etc.

You do need to call your surgeon, and in the meantime stick with liquids. When you call your surgeon, have him verify that things like mashed potatoes and pudding are, indeed, ok'ed by him/her to eat immediately after surgery. If s/he confirms this, tell them you have too much swelling/restriction to keep them down.

i called the surgeon, he told me not to worry but to stay away from yogurt since that was the last thing i ate before i thru up. He said all the other things i'm eating are okay. I just was a little nervous that things were happening to me that my husband did not experience.

I hope you are feeling better soon...glad you called your doctor...and glad that he was okay with what you were eating...I was on just liquids for two weeks after surgery....