Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random restriction...temperamental band!

This happens to me now, at my optimal fill level. When I'm underfilled, I never noticed it, of course.

I just ride it through, take advantage of the restriction and baby my band at these moments.

I can tell it is tighter without even eating or drinking anything; it's just a feeling I get. I think I really know my band now, and can sense my level of restriction without testing it. Does that makes sense?

My band-tighteners include: stress, heat, illness with post-nasal drip (that stuff clogs up my band), allergies.

My band is not affected by flying or altitude or cold.

Like the moon, it waxes and wanes. It doesn't bother me now but it was freaky at the beginning of my banded life.

Parrisell,

Have you figured out what if anything, to do when you do have too much mucus from allergies, or even crying? Heck sometimes it happens with eating a poor choice... .?

@Kitt3000. When I have a head cold, I take a band-approved decongestant which helps with the mucus/stoma issue, and/or a mucus fluidifier. With allergies, I take an antihistimine.

I must say, however, that I've been known to take advantage of this "free" restriction and just hop on the losing wagon for as long as it lasts. This, of course, after I realized the tightening was only temporary and would self-resolve.

With the stress--which really tightens my band significantly, I've once had to take a Valium to relax the stoma, as things were so tight I was having esophogal spasms which are very very painful and can do damage to the body if they are left to continue. One 5mg of mommy's little helper and problem solved!

Haha! There's days when I would like to have access to your mommys little helper!

Hi was your band so tight it wouldn't allow you to swallow your saliva?

Quich, if it's that tight all the time, you need to see your doc. But yes, mine was a time or two like this, once one day after a fill, had Fluid taken out, and once when it went away on its own. Good luck!

Ok, thanks for the info, I have to get some saline out ASAP because I haven't been able to eat or drink anything since Saturday, I can't even keep my saliva down. I thought it would pass but I guess it's too tight!

Edited by quiche0101

Yes, I've had this happen to me. I've noticed trends though...traveling, stress, not hydrated, and the day my period starts. It's happened maybe a handful of times in the 6 years I've had it. Until last year when it lasted far too long...weeks, almost a month. I had all the Fluid taken out cause I was pre-ulcerative, had blood in my PBing and obviously, couldn't keep anything down. I didn't have a band doctor at the time cause I moved to another state, so I ended up going to the ER to have the fluid removed.

Edited by Aschaer07