Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Normal Post-op Pain?

So I just got home after being banded about 5 hours ago. Just want to know if the pain I'm feeling in my upper back and chest are gas pains? There is more pain there right now than my incision sites. They aren't chest pains like short of breath/heart, just a constant ache.

I'm sure the answer to this is somewhere on this forum, but just wanted to ask instead of digging through...not feeling great... Thanks!

I'm post op 5 days and yes I had that too still having some in my neck and shoulders but just get up and move around as much as you can. The more your up walking the faster the pain goes away. Take your meds and gas x too! I'm at work today so just be patient and it will pass. Oh and use that breathing thing you got too it helps Good luck!

Thanks!

You have to remember what we have said you just put

your body and musles through a lot (Surgery) it will be hard to breath at times and for the first 2-3 days try to relax follow what your doctor reccomemnded , also don't look here for answers if you are not sure about pain and other things , always ask your doctor and don't be embarrassed about to ask anything that's what they went to school for , take your meds , get your little medicine cup to take your sips , and I hope you got a hot water bottle or a heating pad and a lot of pillows , so you can sit on your recliner, couch or bed , I know you feel as if you just got ran over by a semi , it will get better , you will be back up and walking in a few days , welcome to bandland, try not to watch TV because you will only be seeing food commercials like the first 3 day , so find something to read or do besides, that, do you know what size band your Surgeon put in , you can find that out later right now relax and make someone help you .

Edited by Debbie3sons

Totally agree with Debbie, your body has been through alot. Heating pad and gas x strips will be your best friend. Watch it for using pain meds from Dr. for a long period of time as it will cause a whole new problem (constipation). Don't know if you have a meijer store by you but they have a store brand liquid pain reliever like tylenol but for adult. worked good for me. Get up and move. Good luck with your journey! :)

Thanks everyone! I will definitely ask doc about pain and problems, but just wanted to see if those were areas to even have gas pains. :)

Hi I just joined thisw forum and I hope that it will be a blessing to all of us.

I was banded on Aug 14. So lets see this is the fourth day. I feel well with slight pain. Most of the pain comes from my left side, which I assume is the port sight, Still tender but I am able to function without any pain meds.

I started taking Gas X day two which I think really helped.

I am still on liquid diet to which I am getting a little bored with but am sticking to my guns on it. I have already lost 9 pounds since surgery.

Also today was my first bowel movement no pain involved.

I have to make myself sip and not gulp...hard habit to break. I occasionally have a tight chest and not for sure why. Usually after I drink my protien.

I feel that tomorrow should be a better day as far as pain. Hopefully none!

Any sugggesstions are tips for me?

Thanks!

You people have to remember that there are musles that we didn't even know we had and some people feel it in different places & when you had surgery they pumped you up with air & then let it go , some of us also had saline primed into our bands , I wish all of you the best results , before you know it you will be moving & losing .

@KD55000 Congratulations! This site has been so helpful, and actually your post helps me since you are three days ahead of me! :)

I would suggest you go to the main forum and click on "Start a new topic" and post what you put here. That way more people with waaaayyyy more experience (like these other ladies who replied here) can chime in! That is how I have learned the most.

I would like to keep in touch to hear how you are doing!

Take Care-

Jen

Edited by jlj1110