Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weigh in on weighing in...

In my life I have gone back and forth between weighing myself every day "to keep on top of it" and only weighing in monthly "to avoid obsessing about the daily ups and downs", and every option in between.

Obviously, it made no difference to my weight loss (I'm here, right?).

I'm trying to imagine how I will be after surgery. Right now, following my three-month supervised weight loss, I am weighing myself daily. I find that doing that usually leads to me playing games with myself. I eat more than I should/plan/want to on some days, and then make up for it on other days (the ones just preceding my weigh in sessions). But I can't seem to stop yet.

I picture myself not weighing in daily... finally getting rid of the obsession with the scale and accepting that the weight will come off when it's ready to as long as I follow the plan. That's a beautiful picture in my mind to me. But I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do it.

How do you handle the scale? Why did you choose to do that? Is it working for you?

I think this process is a bit about learning about what works. I started out tracking every morsel of food as that is a proven success strategy. What my NUT noticed is that I had been doing that for a lifetime, and yet always gained weight back. She challenged me to stop doing that and to eat more intuitively... my rate of losses actually increased! I know this is risky territory and I don't advocate it for all, but I had emotional baggage over tracking food and apparently stopping that worked for me.

I do weigh frequently. During weight loss phase, daily. Now, at least 3X a week. I don't get stressed by small variations and it helps me feel accountable. If I am feeling "fat" it reassures me that i don't suddenly weigh 300#. If I am feeling cocky and the number starts sliding upward, it reminds me to refocus.

I encourage you to find the balance that works for YOU. I do believe strongly in accountability, but it takes different forms for different people.

I think this process is a bit about learning about what works. I started out tracking every morsel of food as that is a proven success strategy. What my NUT noticed is that I had been doing that for a lifetime, and yet always gained weight back. She challenged me to stop doing that and to eat more intuitively... my rate of losses actually increased! I know this is risky territory and I don't advocate it for all, but I had emotional baggage over tracking food and apparently stopping that worked for me. I do weigh frequently. During weight loss phase, daily. Now, at least 3X a week. I don't get stressed by small variations and it helps me feel accountable. If I am feeling "fat" it reassures me that i don't suddenly weigh 300#. If I am feeling cocky and the number starts sliding upward, it reminds me to refocus. I encourage you to find the balance that works for YOU. I do believe strongly in accountability, but it takes different forms for different people.

I echo her first paragraph. My RD also challenged me to stop tracking and adopt the hunger trust model. I've hit surgeons goal, and I'm 11 pounds away from my goal.

I weigh daily....however....the difference now is that I finally see it as just one tool to this whole journey. It doesn't dictate my day or mental game. I control it. I have the power to walk away from it and not step on it if I choose too. My nurse and RD did tell me that if getting on it daily caused any anxiety or stress etc, that my husband was to hide it from me. That hasn't happened. But it's a delicate balance for sure.

i really like what you both have said. i think learning to trust our bodies (by listening to hunger and eating intuitively) is a goal, and a sign that perhaps we are cured (or at least in a long term remission) from the disease of obesity.

sigh. i'm such a work in progress.

We are all works in progress...that is how it should be :)

Personally, I weigh daily. In the past, I would not weigh for months at a time. Goodness, could I pack on the weight when I wasn't looking...lol! For me, daily weighing works, keeps me in check. But, it doesn't stress me.

You too will find a balance that works for you! Good luck!

After 18 months, I still weight twice a day. When I wake up and when I get home in the evening. It's just a way to keep track of how I'm progressing. I don't let it bother me if the scale creeps up a little. I just try to remember what kind of food I'd eaten in the past few days and take note of how it affected me, make the necessary adjustments and move on.

When I was first sleeved, I weighed constantly... before I ate, after I ate, before a poop, after a poop... on and on. It was kind of a game. I know.... I have no life. :-(

Edited by joatsaint

I weigh everyday. Occasionally I'll forget but I usually weigh everyday to dial in what I need to do that day. If I'm toward the top of my acceptable range, I really watch it that day and a few days. If I'm on the lower end, I relax a little. I'm pretty happy at 150 (would luv to be 140) but I'm easily maintaining and having a blast shopping for my 6/8 jeans!

Do whatever works for u. Doesn't drive me crazy to weigh everyday, like it does som epeople. Keeps me accountable for that day. Like this morning, I weighed .5 lb from my top acceptable range. Instead of my 1/2 bagel with cream cheese or bacon and egg for bfast, I had 1/2 serving of plain oatmeal. I will have a salad with grilled chicken for lunch and I haven't figured out dinner yet. No wine tonite (as per my usual) till I've lost a few lbs. Can't afford the extra 110 calories in a glass of wine.