Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who did not tell work what surgery they were having, how did you explain the weight loss? I'm 4 days post surgery, 10 lbs down...but at this rate, when I go back to work, I'm sure SOME weight loss would be a little noticeable. I know I'll lose more over the next few months..but I didn't tell my work why I needed the time off, just did. Any suggestions on what to say? I work in as a private event coordinator so image is almost half the job. All the ladies I work with are so weight and fashion savvy that I don't want to tell them that I had surgery because they'll see it as the easy way out.

I also know it's none of their business really...but I don't think they'll just let me say "oh liquid diet..no big deal." Any one else been through this and not know what to say?

I have the same feelings. I am choosing not to share it with anyone. there can be harsh misinformed people out there. plus I am a pretty private person. when people ask, just tell them the truth (reduced caloric intake, high Protein, low carbs, and exercise)......

You don't have to say you had surgery. I wouldn't think. When someone asks what are you doing. Just say that you're working with a doc and nutritionist on a new diet plan that seems to be working. That way you can write off the amount of weightloss to doctor supervision without mentioning surgery. But even that has pitfalls. What if they ask what is the diet? Maybe you could get away with saying they're just tailoring an eating plan to you specifically. Weight is a sensitive subject and I think most people are aware of that, I don't see why they wouldn't just understand if you said I don't feel comfortable discussing my weight.

I was fortunate that two people had bariatric surgery in my office a year before I did. But I have to tell you that the overwhelming response I have received is positive. Everyone says, "That's a wonderful thing your'e doing", or "I'm so happy for you", or "What a great thing you're doing for your family". If there are people out there that look down their noses at me, I haven't heard about it. Nor do I care. This is a life-altering event, and I'm proud and excited about it.

I am not telling my work. I told my boss i need a few weeks off but thats it. He said is everything ok and I said yes. No lies. My coworkers do know i have had some health problems over the past few years. I have been declining lunches out and stating the reason is that im on a specifc diet and my dr wouldnt be happy. Thats it. No explanations, Im not getting into it with anyone. One lady kept asking me to go to indian food (my favorite), she kept saying there is salad...i said maybe one day when im thinking i can go and just have a little of a few things but right now i am passing. I have lost about 15 lbs in this process of getting through approvals. Only one person has said they noticed and she doesnt even work with me :) i have to do a liquid preop and im sure i will lose at least 20 doing that. so i am hoping people will ask and i will start telling them im eating much smaller portions and exercising which is very true. i think that some people will talk once i get to a certain level of loss but i honestly dont care. we did a biggest loser here two years ago and i won, i lost 55 lbs now here i am two years later, my coworkers saw me gain it all back and its very sad. Happy for this new opportunity.. just stick to what your going to say and dont go back. im just praying for a swift and safe surgery and recovery. Im hoping to be off two weeks work.

Good luck!

I told everyone however you can say you've started a new lifestyle diet managed by your physician - and part of your physician plan is to go on liquids for a bit and then slowly reintroduce foods.

I told a few core people at work and beyond that I decided that if someone asked me how I lost the weight I would just tell them. I'm slightly surprised that I'm down 45 pounds and only two people have commented. One of them asked "how" so I told her - asking her to please not discuss it with others.

You may be surprised that it takes a while for people to notice. And by the time they do, they may not make the connection to the surgery.

BTW - I have gotten multiple comments that my skin looks good though! That kind of cracks me up. The reduction in sugar and fat probably has improved my complexion a little, but mostly I think it looks good because there's not as much fat under it! I think people are registering some change/improvement, but not sure what it is :)

Good point! Those who know, comment on how much better I'm looking. Most of those who don't know aren't commenting yet. But just wait, in another month or two they'll come crawling with comments. :D LOL!

I didn't tell anyone but my sister and bff and husband, of course. I think I'll just say that I'm eating less and exercising. Getting older so trying to take better care of myself. All true.

I took vacation time and was back in the office 7 days later. For about 4-5 weeks before surgery I was already drinking shakes for Breakfast and lunch and lite dinner and told the few people who would even notice or care that I am on a very strict dr supervised diet (all true). I think a dr supervised very low calorie diet is all you need to say if you need to explain anything to anyone...which, really, you don't.

These are all great answers. One question you may want to think about in advance is if someone flat out asks you if you had weight loss surgery. Will you say yes, no, or I don't care to discuss it/I can't believe you would ask me such a personal question (essentially the same thing as saying yes)?

I wish I had thought about that question in advance - I had a lot of answers prepped and ready to go but was flustered when someone just asked me if my surgery was weight loss surgery. I ended up saying yes and explaining my surgery -- a lot of people only know about lap band and gastric bypass - but I wish I had been even thinking that someone might ask me that question!

For those who did not tell work what surgery they were having, how did you explain the weight loss? I'm 4 days post surgery, 10 lbs down...but at this rate, when I go back to work, I'm sure SOME weight loss would be a little noticeable. I know I'll lose more over the next few months..but I didn't tell my work why I needed the time off, just did. Any suggestions on what to say? I work in as a private event coordinator so image is almost half the job. All the ladies I work with are so weight and fashion savvy that I don't want to tell them that I had surgery because they'll see it as the easy way out.

I also know it's none of their business really...but I don't think they'll just let me say "oh liquid diet..no big deal." Any one else been through this and not know what to say?

You just let them know you are eating healthy and this, isnt a easy way out. You have to keep working on what u eat making better choices in life now. Plus you dont really need to explain anything to them. Best wishes on your weight loss journey.

Thank you all for the advice. They saw me before surgery and I told them I was doing a liquid diet just to shrink my liver some....but I hope I can get away with just saying dr supervised, reduced calories..etc. luckily I wont be at work during the liquid stage so they wont ask why I'm not eating solid foods.

Thanks again!

I work in a small office and the whole thing played out very oddly but in the end all was well. I could not imagine not telling them as time off for surgery and then a large weight loss would cause great concern. Just as I was sure when surgery would be a girl in the office was fired (in the end I am so very thankful for that because she would have been problematic) Because we were short staffed I was asked directly if I expected to need any time off ...and so..out it came! My boss could not have been more supportive. :)

I'm so grateful that a co-worker shared her wls story with me. Otherwise I would not have had the courage to do more research and finally book my surgery date.