Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods you can our can't eat per Dr preference. frustrating!

UgH!!! I'm reading so many food suggestions from other posts on here and half the stuff others are allowed to eat aren't on my approved foods list!! SO frustrating!!! WHY can't I have creamed Soups? ??? My nut says because it just goes right through you. So many people are able to eat mashed potatoes and gravy yet we can't, nut says because there's no nutritional value to potatoes. That goes for life long stage too. So why is it ok for others to eat it then??

I'm really curious what the statistics look like

I chose my surgeon's group because of it's experience, national rating, and results. My PCP and endocrinologist both recommended him. Since I chose him, I also chose to follow his program as closely as possible, regardless of what other people say or do. The education I have received has been extensive. They clearly explain what I need to do, why I need to do it, and what can happen if I don't. In addition to classroom education, I have a thick binder w/highly detailed information on every aspect of WLS including possible problems, staying healthy, and food lists. They have provided all the information I need for short term and long term success.

A lot of my team's program are generally accepted practices proven to be successful with RNY surgeries over the years. Some of their program includes things they've learned through personal long term experience over the years. Each doctor may have slightly different experiences that may account for different instructions.

For example: My team says no alcohol for the first year. They say this for two reasons. One is transfer addiction - a common problem for WLS patients who have a food addiction. While learning to deal with the removal of one addiction, many quickly substitute another one. The other is liver failure - less common but potentially deadly. Your liver is working very hard to process toxins that are being released quickly from stored fat as you experience fast weight loss. Drinking alcohol during the early months of fast fat-burning can overload your liver and cause liver failure. They had a patient die from this not long ago so that is why they stress abstaining from drinking alcohol.

I'm just using this as an example of how my team's personal experience has affected their instructions. I'm not telling you to do as I do. Your own doctor probably has his own rules based on his/her own personal experience that may differ from mine. If you trust your doctor, follow his instructions.

I can understand the cream Soup thing, I was excited about having some cream of chicken soup a couple of weeks back. I ate the whole 10 oz can, I just ran right thru my stomach just like a Protein Shake. As for mashed potatoes, I have had them a couple of times but just 2 oz at a time. I don't want to fall back into the old habit of eating unhealthy.

I agree with Terry - just do what your doctor tells you to do. We all see such variation in diets on this website - it gets confusing. I was way more restricted than some other people - but I just complied with my own Doc/NUT and I've been successful.

Interesting tip about alcohol - I've heard about the addiction transfer too! I'd like to become addicted to exercise instead :)

I have a transfer addiction to exercise. I go to the gym everyday, I have to limit myself to an hour or i could probably stay in there for hours. I look at it this way at least I am not addicted to food anymore.

Some creamed Soups are also high in calories and fat if you read the label. Soups in general don't give you a full feeling unless you only eat the solids (if there are any) and leave behind the liquid. Also, many soups in general don't have a lot of Protein.< /p>

We were allowed creamed Soups but I didn't have any of them purely due to high in calories and fat. Plus they really don't add any value. You want to eat Proteins to burn the fat and maintain strength. Once you learn quickly how important proteins are and how much we need to stay away from bad things the quicker you will lose weight and reach your goal. Idea behind WLS is to get rid of the bad habits. At least that's what I am learning. I am not a foodie anymore like I was before and I never want to go back to it. I eat very clean and make sure I stay on top of it. Gym on the the other hand is a challenge. I walk a lot but it's not enough.

I agree with Terry. Our surgeons & NUT gives us guidelines for a reason. I think you should stick with the program of your surgeon's office.

I'd have to guess it is because each program is still in the learning stages.

While these surgeries have been around for a while now, there doesn't seem to be a large amount of studies as far as all food types and their effects on us who are going through the journey.

Specific to the items you mentioned, in my program we were allowed the Soups during the 2nd week, but only a few ounces and since I never found any with enough Protein to make them worthwhile, I skipped it completely.

The mashed potatoes though are a different story. We were told to make the instant kind (higher protein) using powdered milk (more protein) and milk instead of Water (even more protein) and to melt in some low-fat or fat-free cheese (yep, more protein). At that point, the 2 TBSP meal size wasn't going to give us much of anything as far as calories goes, but it was a decent way to get Protein in that tasted oh so wonderful after a week of Clear liquids only.

After that 2nd week though, potatoes have been pretty much a no-no. Since they're all starch and very little protein, they don't aide in the journey. Yes, I've eaten them a few times. I've had 2 or 3 bites when they were served as a side to a steak I ordered when eating out. And I even had one of the baby potatoes in my stew over the weekend while camping. But I don't plan to be able to make them a regular option in the future.

Here's a mashed potato tip - as well as making them with low-fat milk, you can mix a scoop of the flavorless Protein powder into them = high-protein mashed potatoes. Also works for sweet potatoes and pumpkin "pie" custard (pumpkin, evaporated milk, Protein Powder and sugar substitute - no pie crust).

On my Doc's plan, nothing is off-limits except fat and sugar. Eat the Protein first and if you have room, eat some of the rest (potato, veggies). I personally limit my processed/bad carbs but nothing is off-limits for a taste; I get most of my carbs from fruit and veggies and occasionally brown rice or whole wheat bread.< /p>

Racewalker48 -when I was allowed creamed Soups (first 6 weeks) I had to strain them to remove the solids because I was still healing. I was only allowed the low-fat soups and again I was told to make it with milk and add a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder per can. That made 2 or 3 servings.

Bottom line - do exactly what your own doctor and nutritionist tell you!

Oh my dear.... Potatoes do have nutritional value!!! A baked or boiled potato with skin provided 48% of your suggested daily Vitamin C for instance. They are a good source of Fiber, B6, Vitamin K, and good minerals. In contrast a potato only contributes 1% of your daily suggested fat! Don't load them up with all the crazy stuff because they taste beautiful on their own!!!