Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips on eating with restriction - do u have a strategy?

Banded in jan 2014. Last fill 1 week ago and I'm feeling real restriction for first time. I can eat about 1/4 - 1/2 cup at a a time. I'm trying out different foods with different consistencies to figure out what works best for me. But I'd like to hear from other bandsters on what you eat, what amounts, how long u take to eat, when do u know to stop? I've heard that some people have signals that tells them to stop but I don't. So, sometimes I eat too fast and get that painful sensation mid-sternum - till it slips thru the band. But I'd like to have some pointers that I can use to not have that feeling. I know that everybody is different but everyone with a band has some secret tips - so spill people! Lol.

I can say I eat normal, Protein first and about 5 oz of meat then two bites of veg. , then that's it. I can say it kind of starts out as a burp which says slow down and prepare to stop.if I don't stop then there is a chance for stuck and we know we don't want that feeling.stomach memory is in important. You will get use to it. Good luck

"But I'd like to hear from other bandsters on what you eat, what amounts, how long u take to eat, when do u know to stop? I've heard that some people have signals that tells them to stop but I don't. So, sometimes I eat too fast and get that painful sensation mid-sternum - till it slips thru the band. But I'd like to have some pointers that I can use to not have that feeling. I know that everybody is different but everyone with a band has some secret tips"

I eat almost everything. I take about 30 mins to eat. I probably eat 1-2 cups of food. I stop when my mind tells me I'm no longer hungry. I sometimes get the soft stop signals like burping, runny nose, hiccups. I also eat too fast but I've developed a sense of when my food may be backing up into my esophagus so I stop and allow it to pass before I continue.

If I'm having food like chicken, pork or some beef that may be dry and could get stuck I'll sip Water or, I'll make sure I lubricate the food so that it doesn't get stuck. I use salsa, hollandaise sauce, alfredo sauce, catsup, BBQ Sauce, green chili stew. There are ways to make these so they're low fat and low carb.

tmf

For me, it was trial and error...unfortunately., school of hard knocks.

I learned there were certain foods that were more difficult than others, and those foods I put on my "Do not eat list" simply because, why even bother and take the chance? besides, those foods were not that good for me in the first place.

I also had to learn, the hard way, which foods needed smaller bites, needed to be chewed more thoroughly, and needed more time than others between bites and swallows....also I learned I CANNOT drink anything while eating else it will all come up!

I learned the hard way...sometimes getting stuck and spiting it all up 2-3 times a day....I could have easily said the band was too tight....even called my Dr. requesting to come in and have some Fluid taken out....but he said no, stick it out. And I am glad he did. I would not be where I am today if he did.

As it turned out, it was not a tight band, but ti was the foods and how I was eating that was the problem. It took me a good 6 months after my last fill to start to get it second nature.

It has been Heaven ever since...EASIEST thing I could have ever done, it became a normal lifestyle, second nature, with no struggles at all that led to complete weight loss...and it will stay that way because it is who I am today, not what I need to do or not do.

As far as knowing when to stop, that comes in many different forms....

First, I have no hunger or cravings, so you have to realize that whenever I eat a meal, I do not want to eat in the first place.

Then, generally, after a few bites, swallows, I simply cannot, and do ot want to continue. If I wait maybe 15minutes, I may be able to eat some more, but not much.

Any pains, hiccups, burps, etc, are signals telling me the check the way I'm eating...slow it down, chew better, maybe the food consistency is not good and eat something else.

I could eat a slice of pizza, but from what I said above, it would take me 20 minutes to get through one slice, with the potential of getting stuck with every swallow...so why bother? Besides, what is the advantage of eating pizza? So I have not had pizza in over 3 years, ad I'm better off for it.

It's that way with many other different foods also.

Edited by B-52

Its tricky and everyone is different i would chew chew chew until it was nothing but there were some foods i could chew until nothing and it would not work with my band so i would try different foods and if i had trouble eating it one time i would not eat it anymore. i always eat my meat first then i go to my veggies and some meats for me are tricky so i have to pick and choose wisely what i eat

For me, it was trial and error...unfortunately., school of hard knocks.

I learned there were certain foods that were more difficult than others, and those foods I put on my "Do not eat list" simply because, why even bother and take the chance? besides, those foods were not that good for me in the first place.

I also had to learn, the hard way, which foods needed smaller bites, needed to be chewed more thoroughly, and needed more time than others between bites and swallows....also I learned I CANNOT drink anything while eating else it will all come up!

I learned the hard way...sometimes getting stuck and spiting it all up 2-3 times a day....I could have easily said the band was too tight....even called my Dr. requesting to come in and have some Fluid taken out....but he said no, stick it out. And I am glad he did. I would not be where I am today if he did.

As it turned out, it was not a tight band, but ti was the foods and how I was eating that was the problem. It took me a good 6 months after my last fill to start to get it second nature.

It has been Heaven ever since...EASIEST thing I could have ever done, it became a normal lifestyle, second nature, with no struggles at all that led to complete weight loss...and it will stay that way because it is who I am today, not what I need to do or not do.

As far as knowing when to stop, that comes in many different forms....

First, I have no hunger or cravings, so you have to realize that whenever I eat a meal, I do not want to eat in the first place.

Then, generally, after a few bites, swallows, I simply cannot, and do ot want to continue. If I wait maybe 15minutes, I may be able to eat some more, but not much.

Any pains, hiccups, burps, etc, are signals telling me the check the way I'm eating...slow it down, chew better, maybe the food consistency is not good and eat something else.

I could eat a slice of pizza, but from what I said above, it would take me 20 minutes to get through one slice, with the potential of getting stuck with every swallow...so why bother? Besides, what is the advantage of eating pizza? So I have not had pizza in over 3 years, ad I'm better off for it.

It's that way with many other different foods also.

Thanks B12 I really needed those words to realize that I am eating things that I am not suppouse to , since las year I am reading yours post they are to point and real, no that I am not doing good because I loose 60 pounds in 9 months Without doing any exersice due to a knee surgey 3 weeks ago but I just realize I need to go back to basics, thanks.

Bacon doesn't agree with me and I love bacon. But it doesn't matter how long I chew it is a hard swallow. Sometimes I chew and spit just to get the flavor. Is that bad?