Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking control of eating?

I don't meet with the surgeon for just over a week yet but reading all the material I have a concern. I saw the pre surgery diet and I have seen plenty about the after surgery diet. I also spoke to one of the members here who said she went on the post surgery diet to see if she could cope with it. I thought that was wonderful and I should do that too. But I can't.

Every good intention ends up with sugar. Therefore I am worried. If I can't do this now, how am I going to do this when I am 2 weeks out from having the band and after the band?

Anyone else have this issue but find it was just fine after all?

That is a problem? Maybe you should consult with a therapist before you make the plunge? Most of us develop a lack of desire for our trigger foods after surgery but there's never any guarantee. And your pre-op diet will most certainly include no sugar.

OK. I decided I do need to prepare myself so I will give up two things I know won't be a part of my diet for quite some time. Diet soda is one, but it isn't really a difficult one for me. The other will be processed sugar. I probably need to detox and the more I think about having the band as a permanent solution, the more determination I feel. I have hope where there was none at all.. and that is worth any amount of sugar.

Bear with me folks.. I am likely to freak out a few times before this is all said and done as I work through my feelings.

All I know is I would have not made it through the pre-op diet if it did not have an end point. The best part is after you go through it, it becomes like a detox. You stop constantly craving certain foods but I wont lie, it is not easy. You have to decide what is best for you and make the choice to do it.

I was getting miserably fat and unhealthy so it didn't matter what I had to do, I had to do it for myself. I have 4 daughters who love me, need me and I would like to be here for them as long as I can and do it as healthy as possible.

Got to get your head together and just do whatever you decide. It is up to you and only you. Is that sugar worth doing that to yourself?

Good luck,

Colleen

Colleen thank you for that. When I was first researching the band I think my reaction was probably just like many other people's, 'this sounds just like a diet only really strict so why not just stick to a diet?' The thing is that I have.. over and over and over and over. Until I got to the point I have where I just can't anymore, it isn't in me, I am tired of the fight and tired of not winning. I guess I am starting to see the band the way I should, as something that will help me get there and stay there.

I know I am capable of changing. There are changes I have already made that years ago I would have told you I could not. I have come to enjoy salads and now eat those at lunch instead of sandwiches and chips. I would never drink just plain Water, but once I found out I was intolerant of maltodextrin I now drink more of it than I do anything else. For decades I would not put on a swimsuit but now I will and go to the pool at the Y.

If I can make those long lasting changes then I can make more. My husband says my greatest challenge is my portion sizes, the band will help me with re-education in how much I really need to eat.

I have spent so long in such a dark place, miserable because I was going to Weight Watchers and not losing weight.. in fact gaining it. Not being able to exercise. Developing sleep apnea and hypertension and metabolic syndrome. Now it's time for a new phase of life.

Shantra I feel the exact same way. I am trying to eat post op even though I'm pre op and not doing a spectacular job of it. But if I could eat like I had a lap band without a lap and then what am I doing here??? Exactly. I am trying to have faith in the countless people here who can show me that this can be done and they were just like me before surgery. Keep reading people's stories here and you will see that many were like us before surgery and they are successful. Good luck.

I understand your worry but I can promise you it's true, you will lose the desire for certain foods.. I never realized how sluggish diet drinks and sugar made me feel. When you start taking it away from your diet you will feel so much better!

Listen, if we could eat like we had a Lapband without having a Lapband we all wouldn't be here! Dont be too hard on yourselves!

Aaawww thank you! Me and my husband are going to the seminar Monday night and I am excited. For me it kind of means I am on my way.