Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had an out break of shingles over July 4th weekend. Over the next three weeks I had new symptoms and rashes (uncommon, according to my pcp). Also, my pcp said it was a mild case, which I believe. My WLS is scheduled for Aug 25th. I still have a little-bit of pain and itching - although all rashes etc are gone. It's pretty far out from when I first got shingles but I'm super concerned about going into surgery not at my best. I spoke to my pcp about it a couple of weeks ago - when I was in my full misery - and told her I wanted to reschedule and she agreed. However, I think she was just reacting to my miserable state....(also, she is a new doc for me...my other beloved pcp moved recently). I will, of course, speak to both my pcp again and my surgeon about what I should do AND I wanted to see if anyone on this site had experience with having shingles before any type of surgery. Thanks in advance for your time in replying.

i have seen patients experience outbreaks just before AND just after surgery. i see it more common after surgery and it could be from the stresses of surgery in general.

you want to make sure that your immune system is at it's BEST when going in to surgery. ANY surgery is tough, just going under anesthesia, recovery, healing, etc. hang in there and contact your surgeon. they will give you the best guidance. i think you are wise to understand that you may need to move it for your own safety.

Individuals that experience shingles often have recurring bouts. They can be very painful.

I had a shingles immunization shot last year primarily because I had small pox as a child. My neighbor across the street recently got shingles. It was immediately after all her chemotherapy from cancer treatment when her immunity system was the weakest. The husband of my cousin also had several bouts of shingles. As strange as it may sound, he found great relief at the hands of a acupuncturist. But not any acupuncturist but a very specialize Chinese acupuncturist, one that attaches the needle to electrodes and puts a series of small electrical shocks to the body.

This is a question unrelated to your initial question...I think you should probably postpone though I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Build up your immunity again because with the change in diet required your putting a big stress on your system before and even more after surgery.

My question is...you said you had rashes...no blisters on them? hubs has had a suspicious rash and I was thinking shingles also. It was right near his hip replacement incision so I was very concerned he is 3 months post op.

He went to the Dr. (one of his PCP Dr. is older then dirt and...well I just don't feel him..ya know) and they told him it wasn't shingles but gave him an oral med and cream for it...now I am right back to shingles...cause I think you can have a rash without blisters...but what do you think? Since you have first hand experience with it??

This is a question unrelated to your initial question...I think you should probably postpone though I know that's not what you wanted to hear. Build up your immunity again because with the change in diet required your putting a big stress on your system before and even more after surgery. My question is...you said you had rashes...no blisters on them? hubs has had a suspicious rash and I was thinking shingles also. It was right near his hip replacement incision so I was very concerned he is 3 months post op. He went to the Dr. (one of his PCP Dr. is older then dirt and...well I just don't feel him..ya know) and they told him it wasn't shingles but gave him an oral med and cream for it...now I am right back to shingles...cause I think you can have a rash without blisters...but what do you think? Since you have first hand experience with it??

Shingles feels like you've been hit by a truck, so if there's just a rash, no blisters, and low pain levels it's probably not shingles. The rash is also pretty easy to identify from what my doctor said it's very distinctive.

I've had shingles twice, the first on the side of my chest and the second on the side of my head. After the second bout I paid for the shingles vaccine out of pocket.

Four months after the sleeve I was hospitalized after 8 hours of vomiting, from some meds I took. I was severely dehydrated. One week later I had shingles. I felt my immune system was down because I was so sick. Two weeks later my son in law I was visiting came down with chicken pox (what comes around goes around). I am thankful I had the shingles vaccine a year ago, and because of it I had a mild case of shingles in comparison to a friend. I know we can get shingles more than once, and I am with you, I would have postponed surgery. Best wishes.

In response to a post above:

I had three rashes... Very unusual case, apparently. The first did blister. The second 2 did not. When it started I had terrible back pain into mid-back. After a few days of that it wrapped around my left side and under my left breast. Terrible pain. The rash itched like crazy but I thought the first one was bug bites. Then the pain under my breast started radiating into it. That was how it started 2 months ago!! It's been a long two months since.

To All:

I'm still fatigued from two months of fighting Shingles so I am choosing to delay my surgery by 3 to 4 weeks. I'm sad but also relieved. I'm just not up to it yet. Thanks for your support!

Edited by I will what I want

My experience was similar, mid back around the left under my arm into my ribs, also covered part of my upper arm. This was not long after a knee replacement. It hurt like hell long after the rash was gone. I had some dark days where I just wanted to walk off a cliff on into a swamp to end the pain.

I cannot imagine feeling like that and going into a bariatric surgery which requires such intense work post-op to keep up nutrition. I feel for you. You may indeed want to postpone for a bit until you feel better.

My experience was similar, mid back around the left under my arm into my ribs, also covered part of my upper arm. This was not long after a knee replacement. It hurt like hell long after the rash was gone. I had some dark days where I just wanted to walk off a cliff on into a swamp to end the pain. I cannot imagine feeling like that and going into a bariatric surgery which requires such intense work post-op to keep up nutrition. I feel for you. You may indeed want to postpone for a bit until you feel better.

Thanks for your support. I am postponing for a month. I'm so sorry you and others who have posted have had to go through shingles. I had no idea... My pain is much better now but I'm definitely not up to major surgery and a major recovery. I figure that pushing this out a month is a small amount of time given a lifetime of obesity. I want to be set-up for the best possible recovery. These things have a way of domino-ing and my worst nightmare is a

Bad recovery or complications because I rushed it. It is disappointing ... I've got a lot of other plans that have to get pushed out as well...but I know it's for the best.

Edited by I will what I want

Four months after the sleeve I was hospitalized after 8 hours of vomiting, from some meds I took. I was severely dehydrated. One week later I had shingles. I felt my immune system was down because I was so sick. Two weeks later my son in law I was visiting came down with chicken pox (what comes around goes around). I am thankful I had the shingles vaccine a year ago, and because of it I had a mild case of shingles in comparison to a friend. I know we can get shingles more than once, and I am with you, I would have postponed surgery. Best wishes.

Linda - what a drag - I'm so sorry you had shingles at all - much less so soon after WLS. I know from your other posts that you are thrilled with your new stomach and life so I'm happy to know it didn't slow you down for too long! I am 47 so I am not yet eligible for the vaccine - although I'm going to see if I can get it anyway after I'm fully recovered. This damn virus stole 2

months of my summer when I'm home with my kids. We still had a good time...lots of narcotic pain meds got me through....but still. Best to you!

Linda - what a drag - I'm so sorry you had shingles at all - much less so soon after WLS. I know from your other posts that you are thrilled with your new stomach and life so I'm happy to know it didn't slow you down for too long! I am 47 so I am not yet eligible for the vaccine - although I'm going to see if I can get it anyway after I'm fully recovered. This damn virus stole 2 months of my summer when I'm home with my kids. We still had a good time...lots of narcotic pain meds got me through....but still. Best to you!

I was 44 when I got the vaccine. I had to self-pay, but I would do about anything to not get it again. The vaccine doesn't guarantee it, but it does reduce the likelihood.

Individuals that experience shingles often have recurring bouts. They can be very painful. I had a shingles immunization shot last year primarily because I had small pox as a child. My neighbor across the street recently got shingles. It was immediately after all her chemotherapy from cancer treatment when her immunity system was the weakest. The husband of my cousin also had several bouts of shingles. As strange as it may sound, he found great relief at the hands of a acupuncturist. But not any acupuncturist but a very specialize Chinese acupuncturist, one that attaches the needle to electrodes and puts a series of small electrical shocks to the body.

I love acupuncture - my body has always responded well to it - so I don't think it's strange at all that your friend found relief. I did do a couple of treatments for shingles and it helped... but because of child care issues I could not go very often. I've postponed my surgery until Sept 22 now and my plan is to use acupuncture in preparation for surgery and post-op to help healing. Thanks!

i have seen patients experience outbreaks just before AND just after surgery. i see it more common after surgery and it could be from the stresses of surgery in general. you want to make sure that your immune system is at it's BEST when going in to surgery. ANY surgery is tough, just going under anesthesia, recovery, healing, etc. hang in there and contact your surgeon. they will give you the best guidance. i think you are wise to understand that you may need to move it for your own safety.

Thanks for your insight. I am postponing by about 4 weeks - I'm terrified of having a poor recovery so while I am disappointed, I am relieved to have the support of my medical team in pushing out the date.

Linda - what a drag - I'm so sorry you had shingles at all - much less so soon after WLS. I know from your other posts that you are thrilled with your new stomach and life so I'm happy to know it didn't slow you down for too long! I am 47 so I am not yet eligible for the vaccine - although I'm going to see if I can get it anyway after I'm fully recovered. This damn virus stole 2

months of my summer when I'm home with my kids. We still had a good time...lots of narcotic pain meds got me through....but still. Best to you!

Thanks! So sorry for what you went through. Thank God for that vaccine, we had insurance but if you do not, it is worth every penny of the $200 it costs. My friend suffered horribly. My case was so mild in comparison. Good luck and hope you have fun making up that time you lost with the kids.