Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before/after - self image

For those post op: Does looking at before and after photos always make you feel good? Did they always? Did it matter how close you were to your goal?

I am 5 months and almost 70 pounds out. And I was trying to find some good photos to illustrate the difference in myself to make me feel good. It had the absolute opposite effect lol. It's like um you look terrible now and looked worse before. I felt more ashamed at how bad things had got. I am a high BMI patient. I know surgery doesn't fix self esteem which I think is part of my life long weight struggles. I thought I was more overweight than I was in middle school for example and eventually my body matched my opinion of myself. So I want to feel better and I want to make sure my negative attitude doesn't sabotage me. I know very thin people who don't like the way they look so I know it's not always tied to being "normal" weight range. Anyway I am in counseling but I was just wondering if others could share their self image journey after surgery.

Ahh I'm sorry to hear that you aren't feeling good about your awesome loss :( That's all. I don't personally know you or your story, so I just say this.. I'm sure you were a beautiful person before surgery and will be regardless of your weight. You have lost an amazing amount of weight and you should be so proud of where you've come. Have a great day ;)

Man, it could be me writing that. I've always felt I was fat, and like you it was self fulfilling prophecy. I'm down 125lbs now and should feel good about myself but i don't. I've stalled and I can't seem to get my drive back. I still did it for the same reasons, I want better health but I can't seem to get there because of other factors in my life including low self esteem. The surgery is not a magic pill but I thought I'd feel better about myself, I mean, geez I've lost a whole person!! It sucks, I feel your pain. But I get up each day and try to have hope. Best of luck!!

post op: Does looking at before and after photos always make you feel good?

@@squeaker31

hmmmm, how do i say this...............

my self image used to be in the toilet :angry:

that sums up how I USED to feel

i have to look high and low before i can find an old picture that i'm in

like some others, i would run from the camera

family group pictures - i look like my old, normal, heavy self

it does make me sad - looking at the pictures

i am the "fat one" in the pic

not good :huh:

does make me sad/upset when i see what i USED to look like :(

i looked awful, sad, horrible, ........

now - i am cute as a button!! :lol: :lol:

sounds like you are doing great :)

70 lbs down!!!

woo hoo!!!!

my self image at 2.5 years PO ( 1.5 yr goal) is through the roof :rolleyes:

i am a very happy camper :)

feel so good about everything, life in general :)

i used to get up in the morning - dredding a new day

NOW - i wake up with excitement thinking, "its a new day, i feel so great"l look forward to every day

hopefully you'll realize soon how successful/worthy you are (NOT only because you lost weight)

and your self image will improve too

seeing a therapist can be very helpful

my therapist told me once............

"1/2 the world sees a therapist, the other 1/2 SHOULD!!! :D "

keep up the good work (i know you will)

kathy

congrats