Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I think I'm back...

Hi everyone. It's been awhile since I've visited this board, so here's a quick reintro:

I got banded with a VG band on 9/4/06 with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. Surgery couldn't have gone better. I did my pre-surgery weight loss as was requested, and had nearly no discomfort post-surgery. I didn't eat or drink anything I wasn't supposed to during the weeks after recovery.

That is the good news. Now the bad...

Because it had been stressed not to worry too much about weight loss post surgery, I didn't worry too much about what I ate prior to my first fill. I ate what I could tolerate, and I could tolerate everything. EVERYTHING. I didn't go on a binge or anything, but I wasn't on any strict diet, either. Having said that, it was time to kick the band in

, and at week 6 post-surgery, I got my first fill.

And my 2nd fill.

And my 3rd fill.

ONLY at my 3rd fill did I notice even the most slight difference with food. If I tried to eat something VERY doughy (think blueberry muffin), I ran the risk of bringing it back up. Other than that, I could eat everything.

Now ever since surgery, I hadn't had anything carbonated, and for the most part, I waited an hour to having any liquids. I wasn't stupid-- even though TJ was cheaper than the States, I didn't want to piss away my health or surgery money.

After doing my little whatever lap band spirits there might be that this next one did something. I just had my 4th fill last Tuesday. I now have 7.1cc flowing through my VG band. The evening of my fill, I couldn't get ANYTHING down except MAYBE for a small sip of Water. I finally figured I was too swollen from earlier to get anything more down, so I gave up for the night.

Since then, I've had a few more episodes, but only today do I feel that picking the right food, and being over sensitive to signs that I've had enough is working. I definitely have trouble drinking cold liquids (room temp is fine, and coffee is heaven!). Today I got down two eggs (pan scrambled) for Breakfast, and a small pizza slice (I mean small--4 inches long, 2 inches wide) for lunch. It's the first day I don't feel light headed or lethargic from lack of energy, and I don't feel like my body is in starvation mode. I'm still fighting the MENTAL hunger, but I imagine I'll be fighting that for a helluva long time.

I haven't updated my tracker below at the time of this posting. I don't recall how much I weighed at time of surgery, but I'll track it down and update it soon. Until then, I appreciate any feedback or comments you have to give.

Oh my god, this is me, I seem to be following your footsteps, I go for my 3rd fill this Friday, I'm hoping for restriction cause I can eat way too much. Thank you for posting this. Let me know how this 4th fill works for you. I have the same size band as you do.

I also have the VG band and was banded 1/31. I have only had one fill which was suppose to be 4 cc but I am not sure that is how much he put in since it was done via flouro. I see him tomorrow to find out if I can get another fill. In the last three weeks since my 1st fill my weight has been up and down give or take 7 pounds. I feel that I am not being successful sometimes when I read about everyone elses success but I also have to remind myself that many of the folks have the smaller band and with their fills they seem to get some better restriction right after the fill. Hopefully I will feel some restriction after my second fill. I hope I do not have to weight for a 3rd fill.

Good luck to you.

James, congratulations on getting some restriction. My wife had to go back for 6 fills. She is now at 12.75 cc. She's tight in the mornings. At lunch, it depends on her anxiety level from work (her boss is a pr!ck). For dinner she can usually get down about a cup or so. In all her time with the band she has only had two episodes with sliming (no pb's yet). The only suggestion that I might make is, be careful with the bread products. pizza dough, crackers, pastas have a tendency to "ball" up. Lose well!

I'm going back for another small fill on Tuesday. You have to be patient with the larger volume bands as it does take quite a few fills on average before you reach the proper level of restriction. Try and pay attention to signals to distinguish between REAL hunger and eating for the sake of eating. You're on the road to success.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches