Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

People over 60 and gastric bypass

I am a 63 year old woman who is facing a gastric bypass on 9/2/14. I was originally going to have a gastrectomy, but my endoscopy showed a small area of Barratts esophagus, and so onto to Plan B. I currently weigh just under 300 lbs. The main reason I am having this done, well--besides being morbidly obese and having hypertension and sleep apnea is I need a knee replacement and there isn't a surgeon that would do it at my current weight. Hopefully, after weight loss I won't knee a replacement. I am wondering though if there are any other "older" indiduals who have had the gastric bypass and if they would share their experience with me?

I'm 61, but my bypass isn't scheduled until August 19. I have back problems and a knee problem like yours. I am a little anxious as I have other medical problems, but I am an optimist and can't wait to get started on my new journey! Will be more than happy to keep you updated on how it progresses...

Peggy

I am 65 and in the process of waiting for 6 months for my rny. I was a little shakey buy my Dr said he has done many on older people and all succesful. So I have all my testing done, and just have to wait. It looks like it will be November some time.

Hi All,

I am turning 60 in a few days and have a similar story. I also thought the sleeve was for me but my surgeon recommended the RNY because top goal is to get off my insulin. started my journey in January and finally got my first appointment with my NUT in May and was scheduled for RNY for 9/9 but found out my insurance changed the criteria and now need 6 visits. So surgery now is 10/22. I am glad to see this post because I thought I was too old for the surgery otherwise I may have considered it earlier.

Hi, I'm 59 just have surgical class on the 14th then surgery (rny) hopefully early september. My surgeon also said rny because of my diabettes, high blood pessure and cholesteral. I also have acalasia that he will be taking care of during the same procedure. Good luck to us all.

My mom had hers at 60, which was 8 years ago. She did great and is still doing great. She still had both of her knees replaced after losing 130 pounds because the decades of excess weight did permanent damage. She's off most of her medicine and her asthma is the best it's ever been. She's super happy she had RNY and the knees done. I can never reach her because she's never home. She walks at least 10,000 steps every day and spends many hours in the garden.

I am 64 and had my RNY 7 months ago. I no longer have high blood pressure, Cholesterol and best of all no diabetes. I had no problems at all during the process and I feel better than I have felt in years!

I am 65 years old and scheduled for a bypass on 9/3. The surgeon told me I would be in ICU one night as a precaution. I have researched this surgery related to older people and the risks are not any greater than a person much younger. I am now glad that I am having this procedure because I want to be healthier and live longer. I weigh about 300 lbs. and am 5 foot 3 inches and my BMI is 53 so I am very heavy. I initially wondered about the ICU night but now am glad that I will be extra monitored. Good Luck to US

I'm 54. I had RNY on 5/30/13. I had been obese for almost thirty years. I had a bmi of 47, I was on cholesterol meds, I had pain in my back, knees, and feet, and I was pre-diabetic. I was miserable, facing a bleak and unhappy future, and maybe an early death if something didn't change. Today I'm a size 6, my labs are all great so no more cholesterol meds, my pain is totally gone, and I have energy to spare. I'm enjoying life, loving shopping for clothes, and feel awesome, both mentally and physically. I'm no longer a spectator in my own life - I'm living it! :-)

Dear kedwards1950,

I was born in 1950 also and am having a bypass this Friday. My doctor never even mentioned my age. I, like you, am just under 300 pounds. I look forward to the surgery and the upcoming results.

My age never occurred to me although I have heard that some doctors will not do a bypass on those over 60. They will do the sleeve, however. I was lucky enough to find the best surgeon in the world.

<p>I am 65 years old and scheduled for a bypass on 9/3. The surgeon told me I would be in ICU one night as a precaution. I have researched this surgery related to older people and the risks are not any greater than a person much younger. I am now glad that I am having this procedure because I want to be healthier and live longer. I weigh about 300 lbs. and am 5 foot 3 inches and my BMI is 53 so I am very heavy. I initially wondered about the ICU night but now am glad that I will be extra monitored. Good Luck to US</p>

I think it's a great idea. When I had mine done 4 years ago, with an excellent surgeon, I did have respiratory arrest about 12 hrs after surgery and ended up on a ventilator. They implemented some additional monitoring procedures after my experience! I would do it all over again in a heartbeat! I am down from 260 to 170 lbs I'd like to lose another 10-15; hopefully in time. I think your surgeon is very wise and obviously has policies and procedures for good reason. Who knows, I might be the reason! Best of luck to you, just follow every single rule and you will do great!

I was 61 when I had my bypass and would do it again in a heartbeat. Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, back and knee pain, hypertension, high cholesterol - all gone. Starting weight 285, maintenance weight 155, this morning's weight 152.8. Ulcer at the anastomosis at 6 months post-op. 90 days later completely healed with an increase in my oral medication (Prevacid) from one capsule a day to two. No other treatment prescribed or needed.

Lovin' the new me!

Yes I turned 61 had roux y bypass lost 137 lbs since October 21st 2013. I'm so much happier and I have more energy I don't have sleep apnea I'm not on insulin for diabetes. It's awesome just eat what they

Tell you

Or you get nauseated