Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a little concerned about...everything!

I hope someone out there is listening, since this is a small group, but my concerns are particular to our age.

Has anyone else worried about weight loss making you look older? I know that I'll feel younger, and move better, and maybe my knees and feet will feel better, and my breathing will be better. But all that fat plumped out my wrinkles, and gave me boobs. I've been told I look 10-15 years younger than my age. So now I'll look old, and haggard, and seriously droopy. It's not my biggest concern, but I can't help thinking about that.

Also...what if it doesn't work? Or work as well as it does on younger women? My metabolism has slowed considerably due to menopause. What are people's experience with that?

I haven't even been approved for surgery yet, and my stress level for this is over the top. My stomach is upset all the time, and the diet items I've been trying (all sorts of Protein drinks) have given me diarrhea and gas. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I have the surgery!

Just had to share. If I shared this with any of my friends or family, they'd simply tell me to give up on the idea. Sometimes I think I'm crazy to go through with it. However, I don't want to stroke out at 57, like both my obese grandmothers did. I don't want diabetes, like my father's entire family had, and all died from at young ages. I would like to live to see and enjoy grandchildren, if that is my future. I'd like to travel a little, and see more of the world during retirement.

I hope someone out there is listening, since this is a small group, but my concerns are particular to our age.

Has anyone else worried about weight loss making you look older? I know that I'll feel younger, and move better, and maybe my knees and feet will feel better, and my breathing will be better. But all that fat plumped out my wrinkles, and gave me boobs. I've been told I look 10-15 years younger than my age. So now I'll look old, and haggard, and seriously droopy. It's not my biggest concern, but I can't help thinking about that.

Also...what if it doesn't work? Or work as well as it does on younger women? My metabolism has slowed considerably due to menopause. What are people's experience with that?

I haven't even been approved for surgery yet, and my stress level for this is over the top. My stomach is upset all the time, and the diet items I've been trying (all sorts of Protein drinks) have given me diarrhea and gas. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I have the surgery!

Just had to share. If I shared this with any of my friends or family, they'd simply tell me to give up on the idea. Sometimes I think I'm crazy to go through with it. However, I don't want to stroke out at 57, like both my obese grandmothers did. I don't want diabetes, like my father's entire family had, and all died from at young ages. I would like to live to see and enjoy grandchildren, if that is my future. I'd like to travel a little, and see more of the world during retirement.

I was 59 I turned 60 in June, I never gave it a thought but I had to have the surgery because I was developing type 2 diabetes and my thyroid was causing the weight gain and even though it was controlled with meds I have gained 80lbs in 2 years but last December I was gaining 5lb a month. My weight lost has been slow I have only loss 28lbs. but I feel a lot better and my blood sugar is normal. I am not noticing and wrinkles or sagging skin. I think the slow weight loss also aids with stopping sagging and wrinkling

I am 3 weeks post surgery. I have also wondered if the weight loss would make me look older, though being healthy is my main goal. I am down 28 lbs and just feel better overall. Anything is better then being 6 feet under!

I wondered about that too. When people tell me I look years younger than I am, I think to myself, it must be the fat cells plumping out my wrinkles. But I am not moving as well as I used to, and I am slower and more careful in my gait. I have more trouble getting up and down off of the floor. I have to wait back at the car instead of going on the hiking trail.

Given all of that, and the health risks of being obese, I think I will take looking my actual age for once. It really is more about how I feel inside that counts, right.

I start my journey in one week.

I am 1 month post op, and I'm 55. I feel great. Weight isn't coming off as fast as I'd like.....but it is coming off. I am not worried at all about looking older.

Older looking and healthy is better than fat and sick.

Hello I am 66 I don't worry about how look I'm more concerned about my health it's not healthy to worry but I will tell you it's not two weeks until tomorrow and I'm down 18 lbs and I am amazed out how much easier it is for me to walk I weigh 300 and down to 282 very worth it

I noticed how much easier it was to walk or bend my legs up. Something i have not been able to do in years. All within the first month!

I am 55 and aged well beyond my years. I had a lap band 2010 and it didn't work. Oct 26th I was converted to rny! It's been hard mentally and physically. I cried two days ago when I saw my face in the mirror. It looked gaunt and old, not the me I remembered. Then I remembered it's because I lost 40 plus pounds in a very short time. While we may look older initially, our bodies adjust quickly. So, keep your chin up and move forward, don't get discouraged when things get slow. A year seems long until it's passed and you are where you want to be! Good luck to all!

Well, here I am, 9 months out, well below my initial goal! In some ways it's been easier for me, and others it's been more difficult. The weight came off easily and steadily, which surprised me. And for the longest time, I didn't notice any wrinkles!

But then...I hit a point where my energy level was very low, and now I am showing some definite signs of aging. My surgeon upped my Iron intake, and that helped my energy level immensely. It took away that "greyish" complexion I'd seen on other bariatric patients that really scared me. But the wrinkles...ohhhh, the wrinkles! And the sags.

But again...I'm so happy! I've gone zip-lining, and horseback-riding, and mountain-climbing, and so many things that I couldn't do when I APPEARED younger. I can wear clothes that normal-sized people wear. I have a waist, and it actually holds up my pants instead of being a roll of fat that pushes my pants down. That amazes me. Hipbones amaze me. Collarbones amaze me. Butt-bones....okay, they actually hurt. But even that amazes me.

Well, here I am, 9 months out, well below my initial goal! In some ways it's been easier for me, and others it's been more difficult. The weight came off easily and steadily, which surprised me. And for the longest time, I didn't notice any wrinkles!

But then...I hit a point where my energy level was very low, and now I am showing some definite signs of aging. My surgeon upped my Iron intake, and that helped my energy level immensely. It took away that "greyish" complexion I'd seen on other bariatric patients that really scared me. But the wrinkles...ohhhh, the wrinkles! And the sags.

But again...I'm so happy! I've gone zip-lining, and horseback-riding, and mountain-climbing, and so many things that I couldn't do when I APPEARED younger. I can wear clothes that normal-sized people wear. I have a waist, and it actually holds up my pants instead of being a roll of fat that pushes my pants down. That amazes me. Hipbones amaze me. Collarbones amaze me. Butt-bones....okay, they actually hurt. But even that amazes me.

This is so awesome.

Thank you for the blessing of sharing your story. I appreciate the follow-up to your original post. It is so good to see the fears turn to joy.

I had gastric bypass March 12 2016. I feel so much younger now then before. It is true things do tend to hang but you can hide a lot with clothes. As far as your face it will be fine. I lost 135 lbs and think I look goodpost-291369-14622977115425_thumb.jpg. You will feel so good and your body will thank you

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App