Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What To Get For The Weeks After Surgery?

So,

Many of you know my surgery has been approved for September 8th and I'm done with my pre-op footwork other then one 3hr class I have to attend August 12th (Not exactly sure what they are going to go over at the class) I've been given a booklet from my nutritionist that basically goes over my food intake for the next 8 weeks but only gives a handful of examples for each stage. I know I need to prep for the first 3 weeks but I guess I feel kind of overwhelmed, I don't want to go out and over prep and buy a bunch of stuff I won't use. I mean is it really necessary to buy a blender pre-soft foods or am I better off sticking to a Blender Bottle and pre-mixed shakes?

If you guy's have any suggestions on what to buy and stock up on would be helpful :)

Do not stock up on anything. I have a pantry full of junk I never used. I was in the grocery 2 days after surgery and the mall 5 days later. You can have anything shipped by Amazon. I never pureed anything. I used a blender for shakes only and we went to the cartons of Premier Protein after surgery. Bought a bunch of them and was told at 3 months to come off them. Just do not buy in bulk. You can buy unflavored Protein powder but even that is sitting in my pantry. We eat a lot of fish, salmon, tuna and chicken. Deli (not packaged) low-sodium turkey for rollup Snacks is good. Our favorite food from 2-6 weeks was lowfat chili I made, or refried Beans topped with salsa (about 2 teaspoons lol). Right after surgery you know the drill I am sure. I bought the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup powder, but since it was winter and I love HOT Soup, I hated this. The powder clumps in really hot Water. Best of luck!

Do not buy a lot of stuff. Maybe one case of Premier Protein shakes, can of f/f refried Beans. I agree with Linda, I eat refried beans and salsa and I am 10 days out. One can lasted 8 meals I think.

I'm such a newbie here.. I want to journal and take notes of everything in advance that has been good for all of you through this process.

I'm going to start classes sept 19th. I'm trying to immerse myself in everything I can to find out about the sleeve.

I would luv to know what worked for everybody.

In regards to hsp stay what are the must haves?

After surgery what are the post op liquids faves to have. And then the 1 ms post op foods/ Protein brand shakes, meat, veggies, how much?

Also techniques for getting all the Protein in. I believe 60G per day??

I so appreciate any feedback in advance..

Thx-want2besleeved

I'm such a newbie here.. I want to journal and take notes of everything in advance that has been good for all of you through this process.

I'm going to start classes sept 19th. I'm trying to immerse myself in everything I can to find out about the sleeve.

I would luv to know what worked for everybody.

In regards to hsp stay what are the must haves?

After surgery what are the post op liquids faves to have. And then the 1 ms post op foods/ Protein brand shakes, meat, veggies, how much?

Also techniques for getting all the Protein in. I believe 60G per day??

I so appreciate any feedback in advance..

Thx-want2besleeved

Just keep reading Makes notes. Most every surgeon, NUT, patient, pre and post op plan, and insurance is different. You might get confused. Just muddle through. I was in the hospital 24 hours and needed nothing except a short robe for little walks in the hall. You sleep. You won't want to FB or read the internet. I hated Crystal Light Peach Tea before surgery now I love it. We like Premier Protein Shakes (chocolate) the best. Two weeks after surgery you might eat 2 tsp. refried Beans (with taco sauce) and be full. FF Soups are the go-to meals. 3-4 weeks out lowfat turkey chili soothed my craving for spicy, maybe 1/2 cup eaten in an hour. We are 8 months out and can eat more now. Beware of a Constipation problem and discuss with someone, or research here. Hide the scale and do not weigh 3x a day lol! Best of luck, Linda

Thanks for the advice!

I bought ALOT of everything.... I still have ALOT of everything two months out. Just sitting in my pantry. So just buy a little of a few things you can have. To me, the most importAnt thing to have the first week were sugar free Popsicles and lots of things to add to Water (flavors, lemons etc), sugar free Jello and some pudding.

@@HalloweenBaby24 regarding the blender, it really depends on what works for you. I hate the premixed shakes and the only way I like to mix shakes is with an immersion blender - I find that nothing else mixes enough and and that every other method of mixing puts too much air in the shake. So I definitely needed my immersion blender as soon as I got home from the hospital. But other people think pre-made shakes and blender bottles are great.

@@want2besleeved the only things I truly needed in the hospital were my phone, charger, and lip balm. Everything else the hospital supplied. My post op liquids that I relied on a lot were HealthSmart Soups, unjury Protein powders (especially the chicken Soup and chocolate splendor), Chike iced coffee Protein, low sodium V8, sugar free popsicles, Syntrax nectar Protein Powder, and Powerade Zero. Oh and vanilla chai tea bags!

With respect to amounts of food - your surgeon/dietician should provide you with guidelines. My guidelines were purees - 3 tablespoons max, 3 meals per day, no Snacks other than protein shakes/other liquids. For soft foods, 3 ounces per meal, 3 meals per day, no Snacks other than protein shakes/other liquids. I had to weigh or measure everything. No guesstimating.

My other piece of advice echos what @@LindafromFlorida said. Keep reading! Go into the post-op forum, the "journey" forum, the "general discussion on the gastric sleeve" forum etc. and read posts from post-op people with questions, and do it a lot! Obviously it doesn't apply to you right now, but it will really help you out a lot in terms of knowing what to expect after the surgery. So then you won't be freaked out when you (temporarily) stop losing weight 3 weeks after surgery, your post-op stomach sounds like a creaky floorboard, you can drink an entire Protein Shake more quickly than you thought you would be able to (no you haven't "broken your sleeve"), you feel hungry after surgery, you are constipated, etc. There is a lot of stuff out there that is very common for many post-op people - learn about those things now rather than letting them make you anxious after surgery.

Good luck!

I agree with what most of the others said... don't buy a lot of stuff for your post-op period. I have cans of unjury Protein powder sitting around that I didn't use, because after surgery I didn't like it as much. Bought three cans of refried Beans, only ate one. And I just threw away all of the sugar free popsicles that I bought, I was able to drink just fine after surgery, so never needed them.

As far as stuff I brought to the hospital, the only things I would recommend that they didn't provide would be a heating pad (I got one of the old-fashioned hot Water bottles so I wouldn't have to plug it in), and an abdominal binder, which really helped when I was up walking around. Oh, and obviously whatever personal toiletries you prefer... keeping in mind that they probably won't let you take a shower. I brought moist towelettes that I used to wash my face and hands while in bed.

Newbie here just started this process. What are FF Soups?

Newbie here just started this process. What are FF Soups?

ff fat free

sf sugar free

You will learn! Good luck!