Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 2 days ago..........SO much pain today!

Hi,

I got my band 2 days ago. I actually felt better yesterday than I do today. I cant believe how much pain I am in. Can anyone tell me when it starts to let up? My Dr. isnt pushing pain meds, he says try NOT to take them. I feel like I wish I hadnt done this to myself...........Hope I feel different in a few days. Did anyone have really really loud rumblings in their intestines after surgery? It is so loud it is disturbing....

OWWWW,

Janette :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I was banded on wed 4/25. For me the 2nd day was worse than the first day. I think the first day you have so many meds in your system and the anesthesia that your body is still adjusting. My pain is more of a soreness than actual pain. I did not take any meds in the hospital (one night stay). Since I've been home , I've used liquid tylenol. R you wearing your support band? That thing really helps if you keep it on. I hope you'll do better today and keep walking.

You are right on track. Please don't let your recovery make you start doubting your decision. They say it always gets worse before it gets better...that's where you are! I was the same way...day 2/3 were my worst days. Your body was in a state of disrepair immediately following surgery and today it's realizing...OK...now I got to get down to business and start healing! So, you're probably in super-healing mode right now but it gets better! You'll probably start feeling better by tomorrow.

About the pain meds...your doctor is sort-right in my opinion. I think it's good to avoid over-medicating yourself (just my personal philosophy). However, when I'm uncomfortable I take something. That's why there are a such thing as pain meds! Why be in pain when it's not necessary. Healing from surgery is a lot different than being a baby about a headache and wanting to take a vicodin instead of some tylenol!! So, my vote is...if you've got something then take it! Don't let your doctor make you feel bad or guilty...I took my pain meds the first few days. By like day 4 I didn't need them any more but I figured there was no sense in being uncomfortable.

As far as the grumbling...oh yeah...it's totally normal. It will calm down over the next couple of weeks. I had loud rumblings for about 3 weeks post-op. Enjoy it...get a laugh out of it...I entertained family members and co-workers during that time...but it should be temporary!

I agree with lapbandit....you are right where you should be pain wise. After my 4 or 5 day post op I stated feeling much better. As of now, I am 3 weeks post op and I feel great. Still stomach rumbles...but hey, that is hunger for you! ha

Never regret your decision...you will be so glad you did it in a few days.

I too only took my pain meds for about 4 days, after that, it wan not even a concern...you should not need it anymore. If you have pain med, take it. I think the worst for me was the left shoulder pain along with feeling like someone beat me with a baseball bat:omg:

Congrats on your decision to change your life and remember....it is worth it.

Tracy

257/242/160

Hi,

I got my band 2 days ago. I actually felt better yesterday than I do today. Janette :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Smurf....this is normal for any type of invasive procedure. The first day you are probably still at the mercy of some residual anesthetic, for one thing, but it is very typical for you to feel the worst the 3rd day after an operation. Kindof like when you go skiing or something you do not do on a daily basis. The muscles hurt the next day but NOTHING like the way they hurt the day AFTER that. This will be your worst day and it will be better every day after this....:phanvan

I agree! this is my day 3 and I feel the worst so far, My doc didnt say anything about trying not to take the pain meds, problem is not throwing up!

HI , my procedure went well, alot of soreness and dicomfort from lower gas pains, any suggestions or remedies

The more you walk, the better you get. If you have some shoulder pain, use a heating pad it works wonders. Just try to keep walking as much as possible, and sipping Water. It really does get better each day!

I think we all had about the same type of recovery...I had pains for the first few days, but now at three weeks after surgery, I am feeling great....

Re: WJT-take liquid gas-x and walk...

I was banded yesterday. I have found that the gas-x strips work well. I had a lot of gas pain in the hospital and their meds were wonderful but I found that the gas-x does relieve it almost as well.

I'm waiting for my worst day which will be tommorrow but I am so going to be taking my pain meds. I am having a hard time eating my yogurt and Jello but the Water seems to be okay.

Good luck to all other April banders.

Jenn

did anyone's incision cuts become hard and swollen? the one that they put in the access port is swollen the size of a small orange and hard..freekin me out!

did anyone's incision cuts become hard and swollen? the one that they put in the access port is swollen the size of a small orange and hard..freekin me out!

Is there any redness to it or is it warm to the touch? Also, make sure you don't have a fever over 99.9. These are all signs of infection, and you need to take it seriously.

HOWEVER, that being said, if you don't have any of the above symptoms, you're fine! The swelling will go down, but it may take some time.

Hang in there, everybody, and WELCOME to bandland!

PS...if you're in pain, TAKE your pain meds! That's what they're for!

((((((((HUGS)))))))))

To all of the above...ditto. My port site was an orange for a while. The gas pains bothered me until 4 days after surgery. Gas-X was my friend! As for pain meds.....I would err on the side of caution. I found that taking them the 1st couple of days at least allowed me to rest when I was tired and be pain free. I am also someone that weened myself down to smaller doses so by day 5 I was med free except for the occasional tylenol. It helped me sleep comfortably and work my way back into activity. So...there you have it, my 2 cents...hope it helps. Keep your chin up! ;)

No fever or redness, definatly sore to the touch, there is no way I would be able to wear pants at this point. I am going to see if I can get in to see the Dr tommororw just to make sure. Im not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time. anyone develop sleep apnea AFTER the poceedure?

Get down on all fours and put your head down on the ground with pillow supporting your tummy and the gas MIRACULOUSLY bubbles out!!!!! I am telling you it works. I was in the ER on Thursday thinking I had a blood clot in lung the pain was so intense..ER doc told me this trick...and on Friday..(the next day), which was 1 week 1 day after surgery...I was camping and fishing from the boat!!!!! The best "secret" I think!!! I am going to call my doc. office tomorrow and tell them this secret so they can pass it on!! Deanna