Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain after exercise

I Weigh myself every morning and have noticed a pattern of a 2 lb gain the day after I've had a big workout. Yesterday I rode my bike 14 miles and supposedly burned 1200 calories but rather than drop a lb I'm up two this morning. WTF! The same thing happened earlier in the week after a very intense 75 min Yoga class and last week after a long bike ride. My weight will drop down again after a day or two but it is very frustrating. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be some sort of inflammation? I'm not feeling unusually sore, just the usual creaky antique-y issues.

I have trainer friends who say this is normal - when you strain your muscles, your body retains Water to help repair them. I've noticed the same thing myself! But everyone says that over the course of several days you will have a bigger net loss. It's just the day after that you pick up some water weight. I feel your pain though -- even though people tell me about the science of this, I hate it and have trouble believing in the net loss!

Me too. My understanding is new muscle is built when we stress the muscle enough it gets little tears. The body heals these tears and that's the new muscle. Inflammation is part of the healing process. If you get in an exercise groove, you won't see this, but anything really out of the ordinary can bring it on.

Lynda

Thanks ladies! Since I've seen a pattern now I am trying not to get upset about it. Just struggling to get my weight loss moving again. Added yoga back into my activities recently and I really am loving it. It has helped with my sciatica tremendously. My weight may be up slightly but my clothing is fitting loosely so that makes me feel better.

@@Chelenka good for you, getting moving! I also need to do something! I need to weight train, do yoga, do something! I've been at this weight for a while now, and want to lose just a little more. I do think it's normal to hang on to Water after exercise, as the others said, it's due to tissue repair and muscle building. Over time, that muscle will work harder to keep your weight stable than being at the same (or lower) weight without muscle. Which is why I also need to get moving!

I'm having some plastics done next month (TT, butt lift, arms) and the surgeon said I shouldn't lose any more weight. She thinks after all is said and done, I'll potentially lose another 15 pounds, which would be great for the scale. However, I know that I'm weak, so I need to start pushing myself. I've been thinking about yoga and/or swimming, since I can't really do much running/walking due to a bad knee. Glad to hear you like yoga. Do you go someplace to do it, or are you doing videos?

@ MichiganChic: I have been going to a Yoga studio nearby my home. If you are having knee problems some of the Yoga might be uncomfortable for you. Even the kicking when swimming can aggravate one's knees. With the Yoga I find that if a pose is too difficult for me I will ask the teacher for a modification or I just don't do it. I decided to try Yoga because of my lower back issues and also as a means of gentle strength building in the upper body. It is a great combination of flexibility and strength. I think weight training is a good idea too, especially to help support your knees. I don't enjoy strength training which is also why I decided to go back to Yoga but some people love it. Good for you, getting the plastics! I've been investigating some noninvasive treatments , cold-sculpting, for the saddle bags and loose flab on my thighs. It's cheaper than Lipo but I'm not sure how effective it truly is. Have to do some more research but can't afford anything now anyway.

@@Chelenka I know a woman who has never been overweight a day in her life and had cold sculpting, and she said it wasn't as effective as she had hoped. I also had a plastic surgeon tell me it won't shrink skin, just the fat. In my case, it's more skin than fat, so it won't work for me. So far, I'm still being lazy and have not ventured into any type of exercise! Uggh. I wish I had developed an exercise addiction ;)

@@MichiganChic - I have been doing some online research and haven't made up my mind about it yet. I bought a Groupon for Viera skin tightening which I just had done on my inner thigh area where I have a lot of loose, wrinkly skin. It was just 2 treatments but I think it made a slight improvement. If I do get the cool sculpting on my saddlebags then it would have to be followed by the skin tightening so that's a lot of money. I think a trip to Mexico for plastic surgery would only be slightly more expensive. My husband would freak out over that, so not an option for me, Lol! Re: exercise, I find it really helps with my moods, I'm happier and over all feel better. My knees are problematic, as is my lower back and right shoulder, oh hell I'm just an arthritic mess! If I don't exercise the pain is worse than when I do. I always stretch pre and post workout and use ice packs to reduce inflammation after a big workout or even in the morning if I'm feeling achey. I try to drink lots of Water, eat Omega 3 fats etc as well but really, since my appetite returned I need to work out to offset my calorie intake which hovers around 1800. Also, I've been concerned about muscle loss, especially in my upper body as I can see all my ribs, collar bones, shoulder blades sticking out and have developed so much more pain in that area. The Yoga seems to be helping with that but the process is often uncomfortable. I feel better after the class though, definitely. If you need knee replacement at this point you might try researching some pre-op exercises to help your post-op recovery process. Wishing you only good health and happiness! Helen