Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the female banders

Hello Ladies,

I have two questions. Here goes.

1. After being banded did you notice any changes to your monthly cycles?
  2. Did you notice any changes to your sex drive?

Thank you for your help with thoughts you are willing to share.

After being banded did you notice any changes to your monthly cycles?

Yes. I have / had PCOS, and after about 3 months, I started getting my period every 28 days. I can now time my period with a stop watch.

Did you notice any changes to your sex drive?

Yes again. With my hormones sorted out, I did notice a big upswing in my sex drive. Not that it was bad before, but my sex drive did get a lot stronger.

Hello Ladies,

1) yes. Your body stores excess hormones in fat. I took the pill for many years so as I lost, I released a LOT of estrogen into my body. At the advice of my gyno, I began taking progesterone cream to help keep it in balance. Bad PMS, ROUGH cycles. And oh yeah...became A LOT more fertile.....

2) yes. A LOT. Could just be from having a more healthy body. Could be that I'm nearing 40, a typical "hot" time for women. Dunno. Just know I'm as bad as any horny 14 year old boy. Thankfully my bf came along as a place to work out all that anxiety.......

Glad to hear it helped sex drive in some people..

In the past about 6 months, mine has been dead. I have to work REALLY hard to get psyched up for it.. and it's unusual, we use to be horn dogs and the sex is great with fiance.. but some reason I've just been really tuned out and turned off. I have gained quite a bit of weight in the past year, so I was HOPING it just had to do with the weight gain and when I lose weight it would help. I don't want to think we've hit any plateau at such an early age!

I wonder if the sex drive increase has anything to do with exercise. I notice that after a good long run, I am ready to jump on my DH as soon as I run through the door. Perhaps it's the testosterone? Endorphins? Magic fairy dust?

Whatever, I will not complain!

Actually I've started having horrible periods for the first time since they first began 25 years ago. My doc thinks I've developed a bit of endometriosis. I have foul period pain, lots of bloating and PMT and awful irritable bowel symptoms in the days leading up to. I've never suffered this type of thing before but it does run in my family, my middle sis has actually been left infertile by endometriosis so I couldnt say for sure if its band related, something that would have hit me anyway or just my reproductive system on the downward slide - I'm 39 going on 40.

As for my sex drive, I lost that about 11 years ago after my first baby, lol. Oh, we do it plenty and I always enjoy it but if it were left up to me to initiate I'd choose sleep every single night. I'd probably miss it if I went without for weeks and weeks, but I can say definitively that there's been no improvement to my libido with weight loss.

We actually have thyroid problems in the family too (with my middle sis again badly afflicted) and i've always tested normal with blood tests but basal temperature testing shows my body temp is very low - given that I also have very dry skin and hair, I actually suspect there's something amiss.

I have terrible PMS issues now but my cycle is more regular now than it ever was. My doc explained similarly as posted above...weight loss can cause hormonal imbalances so that explains the PMS. Yes, my doctor also said I am a lot more fertile than before as well.

As far as sex drive...no boyfriend right now...I got the "drive" just can't get no sex!!!! LOL.

Hello Ladies,

1. Absolutely! Even on the pill, I'm now getting my period twice a month. My gynecologist said it should level off as my weight levels off. As has been said, its due to the homone stores.

2. Yes, but I think that it's more psychological than physical...I feel better about myself.

My PMS symptoms became a lot less severe after I was banded. I also no longer have as painful cramping as I did before. My cycles also seem to be a little lighter.

Sex drive? Meh. Not much change there.

Hello Ladies,

1. No--regular like clock work--except for right after the surgery--missed a month

2. Yep---and the hubby is soooooooooooooo happy tee hee!

1. Yes....Had horribly heavy periods all my life but you could set your clocks by them. Had an endometrial ablation (sp?) a year ago and still like clockwork but so much better as far as the amount and the time (I recommend that surgery!!!!). Last month I was an entire week late! The month before that I was about 10 days late. Not sure why except the weight loss maybe?!?!

2. No......I've got 3 kids, a dog, 6 cats, live on a farm, room mother, husband works 3rd shift and I have a home based decorating business....no time for extra sex...but should add when it happens it's definitely better with not so much fat in the way!!

I, too, had horrible periods. Cramps so bad it was like having the wind knocked out of me. Absolutely horrendous. And I couldn't be away from a bathroom for more than an hour because the blood flow was so heavy.

But, since being banded in February, my last 3 periods were a piece of cake (no pun intended). Minimal cramping, minimal pain and very normal blood flow. I was overjoyed!