Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My iv was removed Wednesday and I have a swollen, red patch in my upper arm. Did anyone else have this? It's quite painful to the touch.

Describe the red patch a bit more. Is it in the same spot where your IV was? Above it, below it? Do you have a fever? Is it painful?

My iv was removed Wednesday and I have a swollen, red patch in my upper arm. Did anyone else have this? It's quite painful to the touch.

It can happen after an iv has been in. The harsher the med they infused the worst it can be. I get infusions every 3 wks and I get it alot. The vein gets hard, red, hand swells and it feels like someone took a hammer to it. In fact that's how my hand is right now from my last infusion. Dr said ice it. IF the redness spreads and the site gets more painful (think unable to move your arm) then it could be an infection. I had that 2 months ago. Not pleasant.

My iv was in my forearm and the red patch is just above the elbow, where Fluid would pool if my arm stayed crooked and my hand stayed a little elevated. Been using a hot pad as I slept hut it has not helped.

Check with your doctor. If you can't go in for an appointment, take a pic of the area and email it to them. They can take a look at the pic and can advise you better.

Phlebitis is common from an IV. The treatment is typically heat, elevation, and NSAIDS (the latter of which you can not do). The heat causes vasodilation (increased blood flow) and allows your body to begin healing the inflamed area.

Please check with your doctor. Leave a message with the nurse letting them know what's going on, and that you can email a picture of the reddened area.

Best wishes to you.

My dad had the same thing happen when they removed an IV from his arm. We spent the entire day changing out cold compresses for warm compresses about every 15 minutes or so. It was a long process, but it worked. Hope you feel better soon!

I had IV in my right hand. The vein collapsed and the IV Fluid went into my hand. It was quite swollen and sore. I actually have developed a blood clot in my right hand vein so I am taking meds for that. it's getting better. ;)

This happened to me and I had an infection. I had a high fever and went to the ER.

I put a call into my dr but still haven't heard back. I don't think I have fever but not sure how to treat it in the meantime. Trying an ice pack now