Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freakin' Fecal Test - Warning, Rant Ahead

@@beachgurl84 Nope! No need for me to get a different doctor. That's actually a standard procedure done with a Pap smear, unless you're really young (teens, early 20s). If your practitioner is not performing a FOBT at your Pap appointment, you aren't getting a complete physical exam, and perhaps YOU may want to find a different doctor.

@@HaddocksEyes, your explanation is very heart felt and I totally get it. Wishing you nothing but the best in whatever journey you end up taking.

:( So sad now to know I have to go find a doctor that will stick their finger in my butt. Sorry @@BitterSweet*, I was really hoping it was the other way around.

I totally feel you on not wanting to do this. But a couple of things I want to share on the hunoirous side.

1- I have a new understanding of Michael Jackson. I got propophyl for my anesthesia and although this at first concerned me since It caused him a bucket kick - I now understand him

2- propophyl ---- best damn 20 minute nap I've ever had!!!

3- the nurse was so scared to stick my IV in my veins - quite comical as I have some gorgeous running lines there- cause she couldn't see them. The anesthesiologist did it. What amazing hands this guy had. Didn't feel a damn thing.

He offered to give her the propophyl

I had my first colonoscopy 4 months ago. Found some blood in my stool and I stopped having solid stools. Just soft. The week I was to have it done I was feeling better and almost canceled. I'm glad I did not. I had 39 polyps. Doc said I was about 2 years away from some serious crap! I'm only 37. I thought I had an ulcer. And now I am on the 6 month cycle. Two good things came of this. I feel better plus I met my out of pocket max for the year and if I can get bariatric surgery done before jan 1 it's free!

Same story here. When I had my endoscopy they found 10 polyps in my stomach. I was orginally going to have the RNY Bypass but my doctor told me that they could not do followup endoscopy's with the RNY so I switched to the sleeve. I had my colonoscopy about 10 days ago and they found 5 polyps and removed them. I'm still waiting on the lab results. The worst part of the conolonscopy was the prep for it the night before but the procedure itself was uneventful. Just went to sleep, woke up, and went home. I'm glad I had it and got these polyps caught before it was too late. I'm also maxed out on my out of pocket now so my surgery will be free. I'm having it July 31st at Baylor Regional Medical Center in Plano, TX.

@@snowkitten, poor adherence does not mean a lack of a standard protocol exists.

Perhaps the practitioners are simply making a judgement call that "A LOT" of the women getting Paps are not at risk. That does not eliminate the fact that an FOBT is supposed to be done.

Perhaps it's an issue with insurance only covering the cost of the test for a population of women that fall within certain parameters, wherever it is that you do your job involving coding.

Whatever the case may be..... The fact remains that an FOBT is the only screening method that can be used to detect early, serious problems such as cancer, in those of us not yet old enough to get a colonoscopy.

Just because your practitioner chooses not to perform this test on you (for whatever reason) does not mean that it isn't a standard of care that is not being met - and is supposed to occur.

Best wishes to everyone on their journey to health and their next Pap smear! Lol!

I empathize with you. But what have you decided to do about your surgery? have you decided not to continue with the process?

I think something you may or may not have not thought of is that people have traumatic experiences in their lives which makes them reluctant or unable to go through certain things. It's not just about "womaning-up", it's about dealing with the psychological affect of going through a procedure that makes you feel vunerable and not in control of your own body. For some, that is incomprehensible.

I'm with Lipstick Lady on this one.

So what?

It could save your life.

Woman-up, Sista. There are worse things in life than having to smear a bit of poop on a piece of cardboard, a finger or camera tube, close to the dimensions of a Ford F-150XLT shoved up your jaxsie if it saves your life.

If it's required, it is the gateway to you getting your surgery. No brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Other women may take issue with the requirement that you get a pelvic exam because that is traumatic to them. I know of a woman in her 20's that flatly refused to have this done and the doctor let it go because at her age, the liklihood of cancer is low.

Obesity is such a complex condition, and we all know that the mental part of it plays such a huge part of why we are obese. This is part of that mental condition. Rationally, we know that there are things we need to do in order to be healthy. Emotionally, we derail the rational part. And as I said, the rational part of me battles with the emotional side of me. Unfortunately, the emotional side of me has won far too many times than the rational when it has come to my weight loss struggle.

So, I appreciate the responses but at the end of the day, this is a complex issue that I will have to continue to deal with and eventually overcome if i want to ensure good health. Many of us are in the same boat with the whole emotional vs. rational struggle (of any type or situation), which is why I posted what I did.

The doctor is deciding whether or not to go forward without it. Thank you so much for asking!

@@beachgurl84 Nope! No need for me to get a different doctor. That's actually a standard procedure done with a Pap smear, unless you're really young (teens, early 20s). If your practitioner is not performing a FOBT at your Pap appointment, you aren't getting a complete physical exam, and perhaps YOU may want to find a different doctor.

@@HaddocksEyes, your explanation is very heart felt and I totally get it. Wishing you nothing but the best in whatever journey you end up taking.

:( So sad now to know I have to go find a doctor that will stick their finger in my butt. Sorry @@BitterSweet*, I was really hoping it was the other way around.

LOL!!

Ok, folks. For those of you reluctant to follow through with a FOBT or colonoscopy, try having a fecal transplant! That's right, I had to have someone else's s*** t injected into my ileum and cecum in order to get rid of a bad Clostridial infection. It was done via colonoscopy and the worst part, by far, was the prep. Worst tasting stuff ever and not fun trying to chug a gallon of Water in an hour only 3 months postop. But the transplant worked like a charm...no more diarrhea. And now me my doctor's wife and I are BFF's (best feces friends).

Oh, and as for the OB/Gyn thing, gotta say I never had a finger in my butt for that. I have abnormal Paps so I get them 2-3 times/year, along with LEEPS and biopsies. 3 different docs, no finger :)

I saw your post elsewhere. I am SO glad for you that it worked!

Update: I have the nicest and coolest doctor in the world - gosh I feel so lucky right now that he "gets" me. We will be moving forward.

And I know that I need a little more help in the head shrink department to deal with the issue I have so that I can be healthy in the years to come.

For those of you struggling with similar circumstances, you're not alone. :)

Truly happy for you. =)

The FOBT which you are probably being asked to do is way better than a colonoscopy, intrusive though it sounds. The techs can tell the difference between blood from hemorrhoids and blood from the GI tract. This is an easy and inexpensive way to check for VERY SERIOUS problems like colon cancer and bleeding ulcers. You can, of course, refuse it, but it is relatively painless and the benefits can be immense. Very likely you will test negative and get a green light for the surgery.

Colonoscopy's are nothing. You won't know what's happening, and it could save your life. I've had two of them one when I was just a teen, and one to rule out some stomach issues I was having. If you are having blood in your stool then a colonoscopy is important to what could be a risk to your health.

The drugs they give you to put you to sleep are very nice. I'd love to have some each night, seriously. I felt so well rested, along with annoyed that they awoke me from my blissful slumber.

Haddockseyes, I get you. If a colonoscopy or even an ekg was required for my surgery I probably would have backed out. My anxiety with medical procedures is off the charts and the less the better. It IS a psychological thing and its frustrating to live with.

I've had a gyns finger up my ass one time in my 20's and never since by any gyn, even my reproduction endocrinologist. No way. If they want to cop a feel then they need to do it under anesthesia with me.

Yes, it's a psychological thing. Irrational? Yes, but we are well aware of that too. We know what the consequences COULD be too.

For what it's worth... If you have symptoms that have prompted a referral for a colonoscopy I really hope you find a way to overcome your fears and have it done.

Last year, my 27 year old husband with no family history of bowel cancer was diagnosed Stage 3 after being misdiagnosed as gluten intolerant 2 years prior. We had moved to a new city and we thought the pain he was feeling was just a stomach ulcer. Thank goodness our new GP had enough sense to investigate this, Lord knows I would not have my beautiful man today had he not. After having two thirds of his bowel removed and six long months of chemo, he is now in remission.

If I've learned anything from this... Nothing a doctor could do to you will hurt more than the pain the people you love will feel if you are not around because you didn't take care of your health! This is why I have decided to get sleeved... I want to grow old with my husband.

All the best for your surgery. I hope it all goes well :)