Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery is later on today!

They gave many different things for both pain and nausea and most of didn't even touch my problems.

There was a girl in a bed beside me who was asking for delaudid all day and night long and she got it. The last time I asked for something for both things through the night (and it was 2 hours past the time) the nurse told me he wanted me to cycle through the pain and nausea.

I also gained over ten pounds with the surgery with all of the fluids they packed into me. Right now when I go to the bathroom or walk a little I get chest pain.... This surgery for me suck. I will be glad once all of these bad days are behind me.

This doesn't happen to everyone, I have read, but I am one of the lucky ones!

I hope you start to feel better soon! I felt horrible after my RNY also and had a whole lotta pain as well. Best thing you can do for the pain is to walk, walk, walk! I know that's the last thing you want to do right now, but a lot of the pain is from gas they pump in you during the surgery and the more you walk the better you will feel! Also, each day you will start to feel better and better! Don't worry about how much you gain in fluids or whatnot after surgery, it will all come off and then some in the next few weeks! I gained a whopping 22lbs. From Fluid in the hospital, and I just had plastic surgery 3 weeks ago and gained 16lbs. all of which has come off since! Demand better pain meds and keep bugging them until you get relief and if they say your dr. said this or that tell them you want to speak to your dr. because you are in really bad pain and you need relief! The chest pain will also subside in time but I'm not going to lie, it was hell!! But it will get better day by day! Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing!

Thanks everyone. The pain is getting better day by day, so that is good. I have this pump attached to me that has some kind of lidocaine based material.

It was there after my surgery and I was wondering what the heck!

I lost 6 pounds of the weight I gained,

You know what I found in my bed when I got up to get ready to go home? A razor blade. Thankfully I did not get cut with that thing!

I did report it and that made my leaving spread out longer, but that's ok.

Unfortunately I feel much worse today than I did yesterday. A lot of pain in my abdomen and it doesn't feel great when I drink something.

Lots of chest pain that has never stopped since I came out of recovery. They did a cardiac work up on me when I was there and I had monitors on me the whole time.

This does suck for me right now.....

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time Pik! I hope it all gets better soon and you're feeling much better! Hang in there!

Pik, for me it was probably a good week before I stopped asking myself why the heck I chose to do this procedure. It was very much a painful and emotional roller coaster. My surgery was on the 8th and yesterday was the first day I had a 'comfortable' level of pain where I could go to the store, visit with family, and drive (still needed a mid day nap). Hopefully, over the upcoming days you will start to turn the corner and slowly feel less pain day after day.

Thanks guys. I just felt that with each day I was feeling a little better and then came today and I am worse.

I don't know, it may have something to do with my Rheumatoid Arthritis or Fibro but it is awful. I have managed 11 oz of a Protein drink today and that is it. It just hurts......

Edited by pik

Pik- I had horrible chest pain, too. I could've sworn I was having a heart attack or an elephant was sitting on my sternum. Turns out it was all gas. It was so painful it elevated my BP from 120 to 180 systolic.

Have you been able to go for short frequent walks? That's what really helped mine dissipate. I hope you feel better soon!

Pik- I had horrible chest pain, too. I could've sworn I was having a heart attack or an elephant was sitting on my sternum. Turns out it was all gas. It was so painful it elevated my BP from 120 to 180 systolic.

Have you been able to go for short frequent walks? That's what really helped mine dissipate. I hope you feel better soon!

Yes I have, and that is probably what it was, but it was unbearable. The pain medication did not touch it. My BP was strange...it would go to OMG very high to OMG way too low..... I know all of this is going to get better, but since the surgery I have been asking myself why I even did this! I know I had to do it either way, for the hernia... =/

It sounds like your pain is resolving already, that will make you feel much better! It was incredible to me how bleeping painful that gas build up was!! And you're right, you had to have that hernia repaired so better to go through surgery once than twice.

I've been feeling a little buyers remorse myself. I find myself wanting to snack/graze and craving my old "friends" nachos, cheeseburgers, and pizza. I guess this is part of the retraining, huh? Someone who is 14 years successful post-op RNY told me to try and think of this as mourning the death of that "friend." I'm trying but it's hard. It might not have been a healthy friendship but it sure was comforting...

It sounds like your pain is resolving already, that will make you feel much better! It was incredible to me how bleeping painful that gas build up was!! And you're right, you had to have that hernia repaired so better to go through surgery once than twice.

I've been feeling a little buyers remorse myself. I find myself wanting to snack/graze and craving my old "friends" nachos, cheeseburgers, and pizza. I guess this is part of the retraining, huh? Someone who is 14 years successful post-op RNY told me to try and think of this as mourning the death of that "friend." I'm trying but it's hard. It might not have been a healthy friendship but it sure was comforting...

I have not even felt hungry. I do not know when that will change. I am on my liquid post op diet right now. Oh believe me, the pain is still here. Getting up and down from a chair kills me. The gas is awful..... You know I loved those three things too but in thinking of them, I am not craving them. I guess somewhere down the line I will be able to eat those things in moderation. My cousin had this surgery years ago and she weighs more than she did when she had the surgery. She eats all of the wrong things and has just given up. I don't want that to happen to me.

Pik keep fighting the good fight it'll get better ! If you're not on a PCA pump for pain medication ask for one much better than intermittent administration

Edited by mamie60

Pik keep fighting the good fight it'll get better ! If you're not on a PCA pump for pain medication ask for one much better than intermittent administration

I am on an on Q pump but I really don't think it is doing much. I was rx oxycodone liquid and I am using it. I think Iam one of those people that pain meds just really doesn't help much...

It sounds like your pain is resolving already, that will make you feel much better! It was incredible to me how bleeping painful that gas build up was!! And you're right, you had to have that hernia repaired so better to go through surgery once than twice. I've been feeling a little buyers remorse myself. I find myself wanting to snack/graze and craving my old "friends" nachos, cheeseburgers, and pizza. I guess this is part of the retraining, huh? Someone who is 14 years successful post-op RNY told me to try and think of this as mourning the death of that "friend." I'm trying but it's hard. It might not have been a healthy friendship but it sure was comforting...

I went to a fair four days post op. Can you say "dumb move!"? Lol. I was craving all the fair food, but I made it. Not without regret, fear that this too will not work, and with pride that I made it. Hang in there!