Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi. I'm a newbie. I'm still going through initial tests, evaluations, etc. Have an appt. today with psychologist to confirm I must be crazy for going through with this lol. My first "hurdle" was to quit smoking. So I did. Cold turkey. May 27, 2014 (It's been 49 days...yay, me!) I've lost 17 pounds since my last Dr. visit on June 25, 2014 on my "pre-pre surgery diet." Cut out all caffeine, switched from sugar to Splenda. Drinking lots more Water. Even exercising little at a time each day. Highly motivated. Cut out all fast food, fried food, sweets, etc. Just a little nervous about them taking out 85% of my stomach. Would like to hear from anyone who has completed surgery requirements and have been living "life style" change for the past 2 - 5 years. Any helpful do's or don'ts? Any recommendations as to which Protein shakes are best/least expensive? Same with Vitamin supplements. Any info to put my mind at ease would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to making new friends and chatting.

I go tomorrow for my psych appointment. I see myself in your comments about being crazy for taking this path. I regularly question my decision and why I don't just diet and eat better, exercise more etc. then I remind myself that if I could have lost and maintained in that way I would have done it in the last gazillion attempts in my past.

It is a big decision and I have made a lot of changes so far to make this a successful lifestyle, but that doesn't mean that you don't have apprehension.

@Goodlife1206: My apprehension has abated some, now that I've talked to my psychologist. The more I think about it, the more I realize that my positive attitude and determination will give me the strength to help me see this journey all the way through. I cannot let the fear of the "unknown" or fear of "failure" stop me from doing what I know is right in my heart, which is living a healthy, successful lifestyle. I, like you, have tried a 'gazillion' times only to tell myself, "This is just too hard, can't do it." But I have come to the conclusion that if I can quit smoking cold turkey after 30 years of putting my body through unnecessary sickness, then I can spend the next 30 years trying to make up for it by treating my body right. Attitude is everything, my friend. Thank you for your post and good luck with your journey. I am here if you'd like to talk further. :)

Well, I went for my psych evaluation today and just as I suspected...I am certifiably crazy lol. Actually, It wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. Dr. and I talked for about 30 minutes, then I took a computer test and two short paper tests, which consisted mostly of common sense questions, my opinion about myself and basically making sure I had the good sense to follow instructions and maintain my weight and health with serious dedication. After all was completed, Dr. let me know after evaluating all my tests that his recommendation is "I am a good candidate for this surgery". Again, the only apprehension I have is the fact that 85% of my stomach will be permanently removed and I just want reassurance (especially from previous patients) that, provided I follow instructions and recommendations, there won't be any "ongoing, major complications". After all, once I do this, there's no turning back. I believe in my heart and soul that I have the desire, determination, will power and support to make this a successful journey. I've done my homework through research, reviews, asking a lot of questions, weighing my options, etc. I quit smoking cold turkey on May 27, 2014 and have lost 17 pounds from 06/25/14 through today's date (07/17/14) simply by following the 'pre-pre diet' my bariatric clinic recommended to help me get used to the upcoming pre/post surgery diet. So far, so good. I plan on keeping a journal and updating everyone so that if anyone has questions, just as I have, maybe my personal experience can help them through and make their transition experience a little easier for them. I will post pics soon. Again, feel free to question or comment on your personal experience so I can get a "heads up" on your trials and tribulations of the sleeve surgery. Thanks for all your input!

"Lean body" at Walmart and Premier Protein at sams club. Tastes good and have the highest Protein and lowest sugar. Make sure you read the labels before u buy. You want at least 20g protein or higher and 3 or less grams of sugar. Don't worry about the rest and as for the price unfortunately there ALL expensive! But lean body is the cheapest for the amount of Fluid ounces you get.

"Lean body" at Walmart and Premier Protein at sams club. Tastes good and have the highest Protein and lowest sugar. Make sure you read the labels before u buy. You want at least 20g protein or higher and 3 or less grams of sugar. Don't worry about the rest and as for the price unfortunately there ALL expensive! But lean body is the cheapest for the amount of Fluid ounces you get.

I agree - the Lean Body is pretty good. I can't drink premier but I can pure protein vanilla. The chocolate sometimes gives me digestive challenges. This week our meijer has pure protein products buy 2 get 1 free.

You are doing great! Your apprehension is totally normal. I am almost 18 months post-op. The pre-op diet and first week post-op was the hardest part for me. Mostly it was just the adjustment of not eating for approx a month and just drinking the Protein Shakes. Since your dependence on the Protein shakes is temporary the cost wasn't part of my concern. I went online and read lots of reviews and chose several brands based on the reviews, dynmatize and Syntrax are both brands that I like and still use occasionally. These are available at the Vitamin Shoppe. It's a good idea to buy some samples beforehand so you can try them. Also, sometimes post-op your tolerance and tastes change so don't invest too heavily in one brand or flavor until you are post-op. As for losing 85% of my stomach, I would NEVER have lost my weight otherwise. I have been over weight / obese / morbidly obese my entire life. At about 8 months post-op my capacity increased somewhat and now I can eat fairly normally, so some self-control has to come into play at some point for most of us. The difference is that I now have a fighting chance to keep the weight off and hopefully lose a few more lbs. I weigh myself every morning which helps me to stay on track. I also log my food using the Loseit app. Lots of people use Myfitnesspal or other apps to keep track of their food. So long-term this surgery doesn't end dieting it just makes it so much easier to control your eating and stay on your plan so that you actually lose weight and keep it off. Regarding complications, there are many things that can go wrong with any surgery. It is a risk, a calculated risk. I am so glad that I made the choice to take that risk. My life is so much easier than before and I am much happier. Best of luck to you and congrats on quitting smoking!

I went for my psych eval today. Although I was nervous, it went very well. We visited about my life, family, habits, work etc. she said that I was a good candidate and one of the most prepared patients she had worked with. She said that there was very little she would offer in terms of further advice for me. I was doing all that I needed to do to be successful. That the surgery would give me the help that I needed to not regain, as long as I continued as I was doing now.

I also had to take an MMPI, and two other written evals. Whew!! I can only say that I am relieved. One more hurtle down.

Thanks, Gianacruz for the info. I'm going to Sam's later this week and I plan on trying the premier Protein first, then I'll try the Lean Body from Walmart. I appreciate your reply! :)

Yes, I'm definitely going to try the Lean Body as well as the Premier Protein. Thanks for sharing the info. :)

I agree - the Lean Body is pretty good. I can't drink premier but I can pure protein vanilla. The chocolate sometimes gives me digestive challenges. This week our meijer has pure protein products buy 2 get 1 free.

Oh, Chelenka, first of all, thank you so much for your words of encouragement...Now I am more sure than ever that I want to have the sleeve surgery and thank you for the invaluable information on post op info. Secondly, congratulations on your successful weight loss, that is wonderful and very encouraging to me personally. I know this is a life time commitment and I am ready for the change. Like you, I have been overweight most of my life and I am just sick and tired of trying and failing, losing and gaining. I'm ready to stop this insane cycle and just live my life as healthy and "normally" as I can for how ever many years I have left. My only regret is I didn't look into this years ago, maybe it wouldn't have got to the point of where I am now. Anyway, new changes, new beginnings, new me! And it feels sooo good not smoking anymore. I really wanted to quit, but never really had the motivation until I had to decide between smoking or living healthy...53 days smoke free and 19 pounds lighter already. Yeah, I'm smiling :) Thanks!

You are doing great! Your apprehension is totally normal. I am almost 18 months post-op. The pre-op diet and first week post-op was the hardest part for me. Mostly it was just the adjustment of not eating for approx a month and just drinking the Protein shakes. Since your dependence on the Protein Shakes is temporary the cost wasn't part of my concern. I went online and read lots of reviews and chose several brands based on the reviews, dynmatize and Syntrax are both brands that I like and still use occasionally. These are available at the Vitamin Shoppe. It's a good idea to buy some samples beforehand so you can try them. Also, sometimes post-op your tolerance and tastes change so don't invest too heavily in one brand or flavor until you are post-op. As for losing 85% of my stomach, I would NEVER have lost my weight otherwise. I have been over weight / obese / morbidly obese my entire life. At about 8 months post-op my capacity increased somewhat and now I can eat fairly normally, so some self-control has to come into play at some point for most of us. The difference is that I now have a fighting chance to keep the weight off and hopefully lose a few more lbs. I weigh myself every morning which helps me to stay on track. I also log my food using the Loseit app. Lots of people use Myfitnesspal or other apps to keep track of their food. So long-term this surgery doesn't end dieting it just makes it so much easier to control your eating and stay on your plan so that you actually lose weight and keep it off. Regarding complications, there are many things that can go wrong with any surgery. It is a risk, a calculated risk. I am so glad that I made the choice to take that risk. My life is so much easier than before and I am much happier. Best of luck to you and congrats on quitting smoking!