Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will you answer 2 pre-surgery questions for me?

Hi friends! I'm new here. I'm meeting with my surgeon tomorrow (the 15th) and then having my surgery a few days later. (the 21st) I wish it was tomorrow, though. But I really feel like I'm ready now. In fact, I have actually made a little count-down chart on a sticky note next to my bed.

At first, I was feeling a little scared about the procedure... going through the thoughts that I'm sure so many of you had. (Could I be spending this $10,975 on something else? Isn't this a little drastic? If the other teachers at my school found out about my lap band, it would be like me giving them a gift... the wonderful gift of gossip, and a topic they could bitchily gossip about in the faculty lounge all year long.) That's not a question, but it was one of my worries.

So I have two questions for you who are more experienced and have actually been through the procedure.

• 1. FIVE incisions? That feels like a lot to me. How bad is the pain? How bad is the scarring?
  • 2. If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing before your surgery, what would it be?

I never really worried about what others thought. I was quite open to everyone about my surgery. But I understand the fear of others judging you.

1. After two years the only incision that is noticeable is where the port is and it looks like I was in a paring knife fight. Some folks say the incision pain was noticeable but for me it's just a memory I don't recall. The port site oozed for a few months but that went away too.

2. I wish I would have read more here on this forum. Bandster Hell was a surprise to me. I really thought I'd have surgery and lose 10-20 lbs the first month and then 10 each following month. That didn't happen. Your journey won't start till the band is adjusted properly and that took 4 months for me.

I just had my surgery today. With an unexpected hiatal hernia repair. I was hoping I would only have one incision since my dr said I had such a short torso it was possible. Until he found the hernia. So I was a little upset when I woke up. They managed my pain well and didnt let me leave until my pain was below a 4 on a 1-10 scale. I stayed about an hour after I woke up and I was walking around and ready to go home. I do have quite a bit of chest pain( guessing gas pain). Idk how bad the scarring will be but I think it's a small price to pay to be healthy and add years to my life.

If there was one thing I would have done before surgery it would have been to ask more questions. I didnt even know I had some questions until reading posts on here. I didnt ask my surgeon which type of band he was going to use or even what the difference was. Now I'm concerned about the profile of the port and how noticeable it will be once I hit my goal weight. I told 2 close friends and my parents. I didnt tell anyone at work, just started my diet early and went on vacation this week. So I'm trying to keep it private for now

re: "

• 1. FIVE incisions? That feels like a lot to me. How bad is the pain? How bad is the scarring?
  • 2. If you could go back in time and tell yourself one thing before your surgery, what would it be?"

1) you do want to have SOME kind of war story to demonstrate with scars don't you? Consider most are barely an inch long...and there really wasn't much pain in my case...off pain meds by the 2nd day. Scars? You've probably had worse paper cuts....

2) Go back? "I shudda got that done 10 years before!"

Them other bleak people are gonna talk about something....you got no control over what they do/say/think/whisper.

Cheers in your journey.

1- I have 4-5 small scars on my torso, they're barely noticable. I dont show off my tummy, so who is going to see them ? I quit the stronger pain meds after the 2nd day, just did'nt need them anymore. Walking, a mild pain reliever, and a heating pad , plus Water and hot tea was all I needed. 2- I wish I had had a lap band sooner !!! I wasted years being overweight, unhealthy, unhappy, and unable to do some things I wanted to. Not anymore !!!! 3- I understand if you work at "Gossip Central", soooooo, dont tell them if possible, but if you have to, hold your head high ! You have nothing to be ashamed of ! You are taking proactive steps to get your body healthy, its no different than having a root canal or sinus surgery to get rid of a tooth or sinus problem. Good luck to you !!!

1. Five incisions - they are tiny. You don't notice them that much.

2. Takes time - you are not going to get to goal overnight! It's a process - you will have plateaus where you won't lose any weight, but you will lose inches. My plateau lasted about 3 months - then poof started losing weight again. I was under the assumption that you would just be continually losing weight and that's not the case.

An addition to my last post - with that being said I do not regret my decision and wish I would have done it sooner!!

Edited by jamilyne 102668

5 Incisions....each one maybe 1/2" long...almost 4 years later and you cannot find a trace of a single one.....

I did not find this forum until AFTER I had surgery, and in my opinion, I'm glad I didn't otherwise I would have been confused as all heck.....

Only source of information I had about the Lap bad, what to expect, what the coming months would be like, were from my Dr. and the staff there....and I have not changed my beliefs since, still stay with his protocols...

Although I did have to learn and experience for myself what they we trying to explain to me....

I'm not sure I wanted to know if Bandster Hell was a thing or not. But I guess it's good to get all the info up front.

I will definitely ask for the specific model of lap band, so thanks for that advice ChristinaBryan89.

As B52 noted, the scars heal and I only have two that show after two years. If anyone asks about the two small ones that remain, I'd tell them the other guy looks worse... LOL!

I told very few people about my surgery. Besides gossip, I didn't want to be judged as a failure if the surgery failed, or if I had lost weight having folks think that I should have "done it on my own." If you don't feel comfortable sharing your story, you shouldn't feel obligated to do so.

Just as a comparison, my surgery ran close to $37,000 when all of the dust settled. That was for the presurgery visits, evaluations, hospital charges, and the first three fills. Connecticut is a very expensive state for WLS. Fortunately, my insurance covered 95% of the charges.

I'm not sure I wanted to know if Bandster Hell was a thing or not. But I guess it's good to get all the info up front.

I will definitely ask for the specific model of lap band, so thanks for that advice ChristinaBryan89.

Yes, Bandster Hell existed for most of us. It's that time between surgery and getting enough fills that allows your band to work it's magic. Most of us had bands that had little saline in them from the git-go so the opening is quite large allowing most foods to pass just as they did before surgery. The ordeal of wanting to launch the band rocket can take months but for some, it happens immediately or right after their first fill.

P.S. I really did'nt go through much Bandster Hell. I noticed once I was off mushies and on regular food that my appetite was much smaller than before the band. Definetly not in the green zone, but definetly a smaller appetite. So, I just followed my Dr.s "marching orders ", Protein first, fruits and veggies 2nd, carbs last. Exercise and Water. I lost 5 lbs 2 weeks pre surgery , and 15 lbs in the next 10 weeks. I was VERY happy because I could see the band working, and had to go down a size already ! Woohoo !

Definitely would have done it sooner! I waited because when I first started looking into it all the surgeons were 90+ miles away. My band wasn't primed at all..I have three more weeks before my first fill. Its all good though. When I eat it's about a cup and I'm full. Hard to get enough calories. Not losing a lot of weight yet but that's OK. I will get there. First week was bad for me, especially the shoulder pain but I'd do it again! It was so worth the changes its already making in my life! Everybody is different but I say give them something to TALK about!!!! Lol. They are just jealous anyway!