Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How they lure us...

OK... doing great with the surgery, sticking to the eating plan, feeling lots of energy and overall SO HAPPY with my decision.

There's only one food that I've had any cravings or "head hunger" for... it's those freakin' little miniature cupcakes with buttercream icing. I used to routinely head over to my local grocery store, buy the 12 pack, take them home and eat them all and hide the empty package from my teenaged boys. Or sometimes I would only eat 9 or 10 and leave them one or two. It's funny just a week ago the subject came up and they told me they couldn't believe I would eat the whole package... guess I wasn't hiding anything from them after all!

And, it had to be yellow cake with buttercream icing -- I'm not even attracted to the chocolate cakes or whipped icing. I think it is triggered from when I was a kid and my mom baked and decorated wedding cakes and we got to eat what was cut off the cakes and any leftover icing.

Anyway -- having watched some documentaries about how the food industry adds things to food to make them addictive, I thought I understood some of why they crave them. But I had an "ah-ha" moment at the grocery store yesterday -- just look at how they market those little demons of cupcakes!!! This is by the front door, completely unavoidable! Balloons and streamers... I swear they should play like marching band music around the tables they're so festive!

post-211531-0-30168700-1405352460_thumb.jpg

I talked with my NUT about it and we talked about trying to find something that could substitute or take the place of or maybe just having one -- but NOTHING would ever come close to substituting and there's NO WAY I would eat just one (you can't buy them individually) and I just CAN'T take the chance to go down that road. So, goodbye yellow cake buttercream icing cupcakes... good riddance!

Now I just need to find a new grocery store!

Love that story, I go my grocery, and its the dutch apple pie...

This book really opened my eyes to the food industry.

Salt Sugar Fat: How the food Giants Hooked Us by Michael Moss (Feb 28, 2013)

Great topic!

I've gone to the bakery counter and they pack one up for me. I tell them I'm a pig and it has to be this way

Now and then I walk through the grocery store and pass by the bakery section. For me its the breads/bagels that catch my attention.

I think to myself how I use to love these, then I look down at the new slimmer me and realize I love that more.

I remember the day after I retired. I had to MAKE my own Breakfast, because i was used to stoppng by McDonald's on the way into work and get an Egg McMuffin, hash browns, a cinnamon bun, and a large orange juice....which I ate all of while driving. I had to make my own lunch. I was used to picking up something in the cafeteria. Then I had to make my own supper. I was used to stopping by Burger King two blocks from the parking garage to get a chicken or fish sandwich, fries, and a large DIET (ha ha) coke. Then.... a mile from home (this was a 22 mile trip) stop at McDonalds and get a ice cream cone, then stop by the McDonalds two blocks from the house and get a salad for dinner.

Now I look back and see how rediculous all of that was....an oh my, the calories...no wonder I was big. I was clearly addicted to the grease, salt, and sugar infused in the food. It certainly wasn't the ammoniated slurry that the burger meat is rinsed in at the processing plant. I am so glad that my daughter does not feed that crap to my grandkids.

I was as much addicted to the habit as I was to the food itself. I couldn't eat a Twinkie - it had to be at least four. A cookie - no, a dozen with tea and sugar. One of the biggest adjustments I have had to make is to break old habits in how my day was scheduled. This walk is hard - real hard, but I do not regret my surgery, either.

Most grocery stores (I know not all) have a second entrance, like Wal-mart has one to the groceries and another to the household stuff. Maybe you could ease the trigger by using an entrance away from the groceries. That way, you avoid seeing the cupcake parade on your way in and you happen to throw in a few extra steps of exercise.

I haven't had my surgery yet but I know once I do, my weakness is going to be coffee Creamer. I like my coffee strong and I like my french vanilla creamer (the liquid fattening kind). I probably consume 1.5 cups of creamer alone in a day. If anyone knows of a good substitution I'm all ears. I'm also lactose intolerant so it has to be non-dairy.

Ms Mac. I laughed the entire time I was readind ur post. So honest and true for many of us on this pounds off journey. While I cannot say I've ever had such a food crawl, I've done ny fair share of mindless eating. Still, the way you documented the day.......hilarious!!!

I haven't had my surgery yet but I know once I do, my weakness is going to be coffee creamer. I like my coffee strong and I like my french vanilla creamer (the liquid fattening kind). I probably consume 1.5 cups of creamer alone in a day. If anyone knows of a good substitution I'm all ears. I'm also lactose intolerant so it has to be non-dairy.

I've heard of people using Protein powder as creamer. I haven't tried it, but it's a genius idea.

I don't have a hard time at the grocery store, but I have to avert my eyes from certain billboards. Fried chicken has never been my thing, I rarely ever had it, but since having surgery, I can't stand to see a Popeye's (I don't think I've even been to a Popeye's before!!) or a Raising Canes (definitely had my share!) billboard. I have to look away, because I'll crave it so badly. Raising Canes' colors are red and orange, and seeing a red car can trigger a craving. Haven't touched it since starting pre-op diet, and I won't ever. Never ever.

OK... doing great with the surgery, sticking to the eating plan, feeling lots of energy and overall SO HAPPY with my decision.

There's only one food that I've had any cravings or "head hunger" for... it's those freakin' little miniature cupcakes with buttercream icing. I used to routinely head over to my local grocery store, buy the 12 pack, take them home and eat them all and hide the empty package from my teenaged boys. Or sometimes I would only eat 9 or 10 and leave them one or two. It's funny just a week ago the subject came up and they told me they couldn't believe I would eat the whole package... guess I wasn't hiding anything from them after all!

And, it had to be yellow cake with buttercream icing -- I'm not even attracted to the chocolate cakes or whipped icing. I think it is triggered from when I was a kid and my mom baked and decorated wedding cakes and we got to eat what was cut off the cakes and any leftover icing.

Anyway -- having watched some documentaries about how the food industry adds things to food to make them addictive, I thought I understood some of why they crave them. But I had an "ah-ha" moment at the grocery store yesterday -- just look at how they market those little demons of cupcakes!!! This is by the front door, completely unavoidable! Balloons and streamers... I swear they should play like marching band music around the tables they're so festive!

attachicon.gifACME.JPG

I talked with my NUT about it and we talked about trying to find something that could substitute or take the place of or maybe just having one -- but NOTHING would ever come close to substituting and there's NO WAY I would eat just one (you can't buy them individually) and I just CAN'T take the chance to go down that road. So, goodbye yellow cake buttercream icing cupcakes... good riddance!

Now I just need to find a new grocery store!

In my travels I've seen Protein powder in a cake flavor. You could mix it with yogurt and freeze them into ice pops.

The marketing at a theater to sell food is imazing.

Another option might be looking into a grocery delivery service, like Peapod.

Most grocery stores (I know not all) have a second entrance, like Wal-mart has one to the groceries and another to the household stuff. Maybe you could ease the trigger by using an entrance away from the groceries. That way, you avoid seeing the cupcake parade on your way in and you happen to throw in a few extra steps of exercise. I haven't had my surgery yet but I know once I do, my weakness is going to be coffee creamer. I like my coffee strong and I like my french vanilla creamer (the liquid fattening kind). I probably consume 1.5 cups of creamer alone in a day. If anyone knows of a good substitution I'm all ears. I'm also lactose intolerant so it has to be non-dairy.

ok I admit I will not give up my. Coffee creamer , one cup of coffee a day and I will sacrifice this luxury. Send me to time out but I draw the line on creamer,( French vanilla ) and ketchup ...

@@Miss Mac I admire your honesty. That took some courage to write!

I hear ya, I have never been able to have one of something sinful. It always leads to a continual more more more ad night after night or after each meal. Even if I white knuckle it, the next day same thing till its gone and then on to something else. It is so aggravating so I don't even get started or pretend I can have a small piece. I will admit when I have had to bake and needed to taste test, I just taste and spit. It has been working and makes me not feel so limited. I choose to spit it out and that actually feels good.

Thank you for sharing!

Colleen