Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Other sleevers in recovery from drug addiction/alcoholism

Are there any sleevers in recovery from drug addiction/alcoholism? I am a recovery and would like have somebody to discuss cross addictions and the additional problems posed w being sleeved for somebody in recovery, such as no longer having food to help me manage my emotions. Thanks!

Were you in recovery before or after your sleeve? I feel like I've started drinking more lately or depend upon one drink a night since I got sleeved. It seems since I lost my food as a crutch and I can still drink I turned to drinking more. drinks are still a dangerous source of extra calories. I feel for you and applaud you for being open.

Were you in recovery before or after your sleeve? I feel like I've started drinking more lately or depend upon one drink a night since I got sleeved. It seems since I lost my food as a crutch and I can still drink I turned to drinking more. drinks are still a dangerous source of extra calories. I feel for you and applaud you for being open.

I have not been sleeved yet and am nervous that without food, I will have to be extremely vigilant so that I do not relapse with alcohol or pain killers. I am also nervous bc I do not intend to use pain medicine after surgery, again bc it may trigger a relapse. I was 207 pounds when I got sober...got down to 163...and now I am 253 (was 267 before I began pre-op diet)I need to be able to finally live life on life's terms!

From another WLS forum (but not posted by me):

I wanted to see if anyone has shared my experience. Before having the sleeve surgery, I have never had issues with psychological or addictive disorders. I happen to be in the field of psychology, so I knew enough to have myself screened several times for any type of food or emotional addictions and dependencies before having my surgery. Basically, I confirmed before the surgery, that I had neither an addictive disorder, nor did I have a family history of chemical dependency.

I had a sleeve a couple of years ago, and I am now in alcohol treatment. I was astounded to learn from my counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists, that alcoholism is very common in patients following weight loss surgery (in my case the sleeve). I have learned from doctors that many of the origins of the neurotransmitters that regulate brain function (endorphins, serotonin, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine) actually originate in the stomach and digestive system. When this system is thrown "out of whack" so are the chemicals that control inner brain activity, frequently resulting in the brain seeking other methods of chemical regulation. The end result is often a dependency of another neuro-stimulant such as alcohol, benzodiazepines, or other mood affective substances. More and more research is supporting the phenomenon of people developing addictive disorders after weigh loss surgery who otherwise would not have developed them. Like I mentioned, I am now receiving outpatient, and in a 12-step program which will have to be a life-long process. I'm sure we were made aware that an existing food addiction may transition to another form of dependency, hence the requirement of psychological screening prior to surgery. I certainly was never made aware that a possible side effect of weight loss surgery was the development dependency issues WHERE NON AND EXISTED BEFORE, and neither was anyone else I know who have had the procedure. I'm not looking to start a blame-game, but I would like to reach out to others who have had my same experience. I know what I need to do, and am taking responsibility for my actions, but this whole thing looks like it has the potential for potential law suites in the future. I think the sleeve was overall a positive addition to my life, but I wish I had known how it would affect my brain chemistry so I could have better prepared.

From another WLS forum (but not posted by me):

I wanted to see if anyone has shared my experience. Before having the sleeve surgery, I have never had issues with psychological or addictive disorders. I happen to be in the field of psychology, so I knew enough to have myself screened several times for any type of food or emotional addictions and dependencies before having my surgery. Basically, I confirmed before the surgery, that I had neither an addictive disorder, nor did I have a family history of chemical dependency.

I had a sleeve a couple of years ago, and I am now in alcohol treatment. I was astounded to learn from my counselors, psychologists, and psychiatrists, that alcoholism is very common in patients following weight loss surgery (in my case the sleeve). I have learned from doctors that many of the origins of the neurotransmitters that regulate brain function (endorphins, serotonin, nor-epinephrine, and dopamine) actually originate in the stomach and digestive system. When this system is thrown "out of whack" so are the chemicals that control inner brain activity, frequently resulting in the brain seeking other methods of chemical regulation. The end result is often a dependency of another neuro-stimulant such as alcohol, benzodiazepines, or other mood affective substances. More and more research is supporting the phenomenon of people developing addictive disorders after weigh loss surgery who otherwise would not have developed them. Like I mentioned, I am now receiving outpatient, and in a 12-step program which will have to be a life-long process. I'm sure we were made aware that an existing food addiction may transition to another form of dependency, hence the requirement of psychological screening prior to surgery. I certainly was never made aware that a possible side effect of weight loss surgery was the development dependency issues WHERE NON AND EXISTED BEFORE, and neither was anyone else I know who have had the procedure. I'm not looking to start a blame-game, but I would like to reach out to others who have had my same experience. I know what I need to do, and am taking responsibility for my actions, but this whole thing looks like it has the potential for potential law suites in the future. I think the sleeve was overall a positive addition to my life, but I wish I had known how it would affect my brain chemistry so I could have better prepared.

Thanks VSGAnn2014...that is very insightful. I appreciate you sharing it!

It should ease your mind to know that after I got home from the hospital (24 hour stay) I didn't need the Lortab. The visiting nurse told me children's liquid Tylenol is better for us anyway as it doesn't slow down the gut and it really did just fine.

You might look into group therapies for people with addictions and eating disorders. While its not bariatric specific, that demographic of people will also be looking to stay sober while conquering food issues. It might be helpful to contact one of the Renfrew centers here in New Jersey and ask if they know of any of those groups; they may even hold them at their centers.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks LumpySpacePrincess...I just googled the renfrew center in NJ!

Hey, Nikkitierney, it's very wise of you to consider these factors before surgery. You do have the option not to take pain meds after surgery but many people don't realize that pain medications are also given during surgery. Gastric Sleeve is a surgery requiring general anesthesia, and although you are fully asleep and unaware of what's going on, your body is not. Your brain still senses pain as the surgeon performs the work, and the nurse anesthetist will give you Fentanyl during the surgery for your body's response to pain; which typically includes fluctuating / elevating blood pressure, heart rate, and respirations, or fidgety movements. So please be aware that you most likely can not escape at least the intra-op pain medications that are given. Although, you can ask / request that narcotics or sedatives (Versed) not be given at all. It is possible that they may abide by your request. Good luck to you and congrats on your sobriety and your next victory against food. ????

Im not in recovery but im bipolar and definitely smoked weed regular but since starting wellbutrin for depression i have no desire to smoke weed and it suppresses my appetite and helps me want to exercise. Also you cant drink on wellbutrin so I guess that can be a plus . It is also prescribed for smoking cessation under a different name. I was off meds and had been fine with Vitamins for about six months before surgery but a week or so after my surgery the depression started creeping back in ..so there will be a hole left right after surgery and wellbutrin helped fill that hole ...and helped me get up ,get out and get healthy... everyone will have some kind of hole to fill after surgery..i would talk to my surgeon to see what kind of resources that were available for you.